For the first time all season there are no changes in our power rankings after this past week's games. The only differences come in our honorable mentions with a couple of additions and subtractions but they couldn't find a way to crack into our top 5. Here we go...
1. Pittsburgh Steelers (5-1) - The Steelers went on the road to Miami on Sunday and squeaked out a victory against the Dolphins. Some how the Steelers ended up on the correct end of a weird call by the referees, it seems this is a regular occurence for the Steelers. Big Ben fumbled at the goal line and because the play was blown dead for what was determined at the time as a touchdown, there was no clear evidence of a recovery. The Steelers got the ball back and kicked the winning field goal. Tough loss for the Dolphins. The Steelers will travel to New Orleans on Sunday night to face the struggling Saints. The Steelers need to gear up to play the '09 Saints, not the current Saints if they want to win.
2. New York Jets (5-1) - The Jets were the hottest team in the NFL going into their bye week, winners of 5 straight. They should be well rested and healthy for their matchup this week against the struggling and hurting Green Bay Packers at the new Meadowlands stadium on Sunday. Can they continue to play well and extend their winning streak to 6 games? It should be an interesting match up for them on Sunday and I would expect the Jets to come out with a win.
3. New England Patriots (5-1) - The Patriots traveled to San Diego this past Sunday to face the under performing Chargers. They jumped out to an early and comfortable lead before having to hang on as the Chargers made a late comeback. The Patriots avoided an overtime game when the game tying field goal doinked off the right upright. I am still not 100% on board with the Patriots this year, their defense has been suspect at times and I am not sure if they can hold up for the entire season. This week they face the Vikings in Foxboro. Will Brett Favre play? Does it matter? I like the Patriots to win easily at home.
4. Baltimore Ravens (5-2) - The Ravens played one of the toughest games of the week against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, yes, you read that correct, the Buffalo Bills. The Bills took the Ravens to overtime but a great defensive play by who else, Ray Lewis, got the Ravens the ball deep in Bills territory for the game winning field goal. The Ravens get a bye this week which will be needed after their difficult opening 7 games.
5. Indianapolis Colts (4-2) - The Colts have been battling injuries all season so the bye week came at just the right time for them. They have a huge divisional game this week against the Texans in a rematch of week 1 where they lost in Houston. This time it will be in Indianapolis, on Monday night, off of a bye week, against a Texans defense who has forgotten how to stop opposing teams. I would put my money on Peyton Manning.
Honorable Mentions: Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans, New York Giants, Atlanta Falcons, Kansas City Chiefs
There is the top 5 teams in the NFL after week 7. Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to leave a comment! Also don't forget to visit my site, www.moleandmeares.com , to watch our weekly picks video and submit your week 7 NFL picks for a chance to win a weekly prize.