There were two games this past weekend that had huge early playoff implications between 4 teams that no one would have expected to 3 of the teams to have a chance at making the playoffs before the season started. The Chiefs at the Raiders and the Buccaneers at the Falcons were the weekend's two biggest games, that just goes to show you the parody in the NFL from year to year.
1. In a battle between two divisional rivals, the Raiders prevailed in overtime. You have to give the Raiders credit for stopping the vaunted Chiefs rushing attack, holding them to 100 yards rushing as a team. They did just enough to squeak this game out in overtime and now are looking good in the AFC west.
2. Brett Farve broke a record yesterday, he threw for more yards in a game than he ever had in his career, 446. In Brett Farve's career, he has only twic thrown for over 400 yards, that is really surprising. At the same time he lead the Vikings back from 14 points down with less than 5 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter to send the game to overtime and then watched as his kicker sealed the deal to complete a victory that allows Childress to remain the Vikings coach for at least one more week.
3. To quote a famous line, Houston, we have a problem. After starting the season defeating the Colts for the first time ever and then winning a game in OT against the Redskins, the Texans have fallen flat on their face. Their defense was an issue early and now has become a glaring problem after 9 weeks. San Diego wins again and is trying to stay alive in the AFC west.
4. I am so happy I am not a Detroit Lions fan, I couldn't take the close losses week after week. It looked as though they had this game in the bag and then they allowed the Jets to score 10 unanswered 4th quarter points to send the game to overtime and then watched as they marched down the field for the winning kick. Matthew Stafford injured his shoulder again. He would be a good quarterback if he could find a way to stay healthy.
5. The Browns might be the best team in the NFL right now, at this very moment. They sandwiched incredible wins against the Saints and the Patriots around their bye week. Peyton Hillis continues to impress as he shredded the New Englad defense for over 180 yards on the ground. I thought the Patriots were beginning to show some improvement on the defensive side of the ball but they took a huge step backwards on Sunday.
6. The Panthers should forfeit the rest of their games for the season. There should be a rule in the NFL that if you can't achieve 200 total yards of offense, at home no less, you have to let a college team play for you for the rest of the season. Granted, they lost their first and second string running back and their first string quarterback to injuries but come on, have some pride and move the ball, 68 yards passing isn't going to get it done.
7. Poor Buffalo, I feel like I start every recap of a Bills game like this every week. They lose another game by a field goal to a team that is really not very good right now. Have the Bills ever won a game in Toronto? If not they should stop playing there because the fans are wondering why the field is only 100 yards long!
8. Baltimore out played Miami and put an end to their road winning streak. I thought this game was going to be closer and I thought wrong. Miami seemed out of sorts the entire game and couldn't muster any points in the second half. The Ravens are now tied with 15 other teams for the best record in the NFL at 6-2.
9. I am going to give the Buccaneers a ton of credit for playing a very good game on the road in Atlanta and coming up just short. This game could have been a blowout after the opening drive when the Falcons methodically marched down the field and scored on their opening possesion. The Bucs had a chance to steal a win in the waning seconds but came up just a bit short, but this team is definitely for real and will fight for a wild card berth.
10. Wade Phillips will be fired this week, I guarantee it. That was one of the most embarrasing games I have ever witnessed since I began watching football. The Cowboys have completely given up and aren't even trying anymore. At least Jerry Jones can be happy that the Superbowl will be played in his stadium because that is about the only thing he has going for him right now.
11. The New York Giants are good, the best team in the NFC right now and they destroyed the Seahawks who can't seem to figure out a way to put two good weeks together. But if I was a Giants fan I would wait on buying my plane tickets to Dallas for the Superbowl because the only two teams that you have played that have winning records were losses. The Giants are doing what they are supposed to do, beating the teams that they know they are better than. It is going to get tougher and it will be interesting to see how this team responds.
12. Andy Reid is now 12-0 after a bye week as the Eagles coach and now has beaten the Colts for the first time in his career. I really hope that Austin Collie is okay but with that said, there was no reason for a flag, he wasn't a defensive less receiver when he got hit and it was an incidental helmet to helmet hit. I am really happy the Eagles won because two calls in this game were the only reason for 14 of the Colts points.
Make sure to visit our site, www.moleandmeares.com, to see our weekly NFL picks video and to submit your weekly picks for a chance to win our weekly prize. See you week 10!