For the first time in a long time the majority of our power rankings remain the same after week 11. Only one team falls out of our top 5 with one new addition. Our top teams took care of business and this NFL season is setting up to be one of the most exciting come the end of the year. It is still a little early but it is hard to imagine right now any team being able to rest players come week 17. I can imagine a lot of playoff scenarios in place during that final week of the season. On to our top 5, here we go...
1. New England Patriots (8-2) - The Patriots held on Sunday to defeat the Colts after Peyton Manning through a very untimely interception deep in New England territory. They remain our number one team for a second week, tying the record for most weeks at the number 1 position, that is how unpredictable this season has been. I am still not sure they are the best team in the league or if there is even a best team in the league right now, but they have beaten the Steelers and Colts in consecutive weeks. They have a short week this week as they will travel to Detroit to face the Lions on Turkey Day. After their last two games this one should be slightly easier but that is what we thought when they faced the Browns and look what happened then.
2. Atlanta Falcons (8-2) - The Falcons pulled away from the St. Louis Rams in the second half on Sunday and still have the best record in the NFC. The Rams put up a valiant effort but it wasn't enough in the end and Matt Ryan continues to impress every week for the Falcons. The Falcons will welcome the Packers into Atlanta on Sunday for what seems to be the game of the week in the NFL. With only 3 games left on their schedule against teams with a winning record, this game could go a long way to helping them secure home field advantage in the playoffs. A win against the Packers could vault Atlanta into the top spot on our power rankings.
3. New York Jets (8-2) - Santonio Holmes might prove that he was the best pickup of the off season. For the second time in as many weeks, Holmes scores the winning touchdown in the last possible second to give the Jets their third straight heart pounding victory. The Jets continue to win games when you think their is little or no hope left. They also have a short week this week as they will face the terrible Cincinnati Bengals on Thanksgiving night in Northern New Jersey. Win or lose they will have 10 days to prepare for a showdown in week 13 on Monday night against the Patriots. For the Jets sake, lets hope they don't overlook the Bengals on Thursday.
4. Philadelphia Eagles (7-3) - The Eagles and Michael Vick continue their winning ways by taking care of business against the New York Giants on Sunday. This game wasn't pretty with a ton of mistakes by both teams but in the end the Eagles found a way to win. The Giants were able to contain Vick and perhaps give other teams a blue print to do the same thing. This week the Eagles travel to Chicago to face the vaunted defense of the Bears. This game features two teams that are leading their division at 7-3 and for Chicago, it would go a long way to proving they belong as an elite team in the NFC.
5. Green Bay Packers (7-3) - The Packers ended the Vikings season on Sunday and in the process sent Brad Childress packing as he was fired yesterday. They destroyed the Vikings in every facet of the game and they seem to be overcoming some of the huge injuries they sustained earlier in the season. Greg Jennings is showing that he is one of the top 5 receivers in the NFL today while Aaron Rodgers continues to impress. They have their toughest game in a long time on Sunday as they will travel to Atlanta to face the best team in the NFC. If they win this game they have a shot at obtaining home field advantage in the playoffs and no team wants the road to the Superbowl to go through Lambeau Field.
Honorable Mentions: Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, New Orleans Saints, Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
There is the top 5 teams in the NFL after week 11. Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to leave a comment! Also don't forget to visit my site, www.moleandmeares.com, to watch our weekly picks video and submit your week 12 NFL picks for a chance to win a weekly prize.