Week 10 in the NFL might have been the best week so far. There are huge shakeups in our rankings as 4 of the teams in last week's top 5 faced off against each other. We have a new number one team and two new additions to our top 5. Each week in the NFL brings new surprises and I highly doubt you will see the same order of teams after next week. Why? Because it is extremely hard to figure out who the best 5 teams are in the NFL at any given moment. Here is my best effort...
1. New England Patriots (7-2) - The Patriots receive our number one ranking after going into Pittsburgh and dismantling a very good Steelers team. Tom Brady picked apart the defense and introduced Rob Gronkowski to America by throwing not one, not two, but three touchdown passes to the rookie tight end. The Patriots defense rebounded after a horrendous game the previous week and held the Steelers in check for most of the night. It doesn't get any easier this week for the Patriots as they will welcome the Colts into Foxboro on Sunday afternoon. Which Patriots defense shows up will go a long way to figuring out the outcome of this game.
2. Atlanta Falcons (7-2) - The Falcons proved they belong among the elite teams in the NFL by beating the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night. Matt Ryan has quietly become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. It looked as though the Ravens were going to pull this game out but with less than 2 minutes left, Ryan guided the Falcons down the field for the winning touchdown. Roddy White is playing like a man possessed. The Falcons have had an extra couple days of rest which should help them when they travel to St. Louis on Sunday to face the upstart Rams. This game could end up closer than you may think.
3. New York Jets (7-2) - The Jets pulled out another overtime win on the road on Sunday against the Browns becoming the first team in NFL history to win two consecutive games in overtime on the road. Here is the problem though, the two teams they had to beat in overtime have a combined record of 5-13. The Jets will be the first to admit they aren't playing their best football but they still are tied for the best record in the NFL. If they start playing up to their potential they might be the team to beat in the AFC. This Sunday they welcome in the struggling Houston Texans which could be a dangerous match up if they don't take them seriously.
4. Philadelphia Eagles (6-3) - The Eagles shot up our rankings this week after embarrassing the Redskins on Monday night. Michael Vick might be the best quarterback in the NFL right now because I am not sure how any team can actually stop him. The offensive weapons the Eagles currently have make them one of the most dangerous teams in the NFL and a team no one wants to play come January. If Vick stays healthy, there is no telling where this team could go. They have their biggest game of the season to date on Sunday night as their division rival, the New York Giants, travel down the Jersey Turnpike to Lincoln Financial Field. The Eagles can prove to everyone that they are the best team in the NFC with a win.
5. Indianapolis Colts (6-3) - The Colts move into the 5th spot in our rankings by default. They were the only team in our honorable mentions, other than the Eagles, to win this week and with the losses by the Steelers, Ravens and Giants, they get the honor of being apart of the top 5. Their win against the Bengals was less than impressive but nevertheless it was a win. The Colts are really banged up on both sides of the ball and without Peyton Manning behind center they wouldn't be anywhere on our radar this year. With that said, they have a huge game against their hated rivals, the Patriots, on Sunday in New England. If they can find someway to win this game then they can prove that they belong in our top 5.
Honorable Mentions: Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers
There is the top 5 teams in the NFL after week 10. Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to leave a comment! Also don't forget to visit my site, www.moleandmeares.com, to watch our weekly picks video and submit your week 11 NFL picks for a chance to win a weekly prize.