As each week in the NFL passes the season grows stranger and stranger. This week we have a new number one team but a familiar one. Our number one team last week lost to the Cleveland Browns convincingly and although you won't see the Browns in our top 5 or our honorable mentions, I am not sure if they are not the best team in the NFL today. We have one new addition into our top 5 this week and it is from the NFC. Here we go...
1. Baltimore Ravens (6-2) - The Ravens take over our number one spot this week after dismantling the best road team in the NFL, the Dolphins, at home this past Sunday. Their defense played Ravens type football and their offense played well enough to win. They have a short week this week as they will travel to Hotlanta to face the Falcons on Thursday night in the first of two matchups this week facing 2 of our top 5 teams. This game will go a long way to showing us if the Ravens deserve to stay as our number one team.
2. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-2) - The Steelers beat Cincinnati on Monday night and took revenge against the team they lost to twice last season, although they tried to give this game away at the end. If it wasn't for the early season loss to the Ravens they would be our number one team. They have a chance to reclaim the spot next week as they will welcome the Patriots into Heinz field on Sunday night in a huge conference battle and what some may think maybe an AFC conference final preview. This will be the game of the week with the loser perhaps falling out of our top 5.
3. New England Patriots (6-2) - The Patriots are coming off their worst loss of the season as they got man handled in Cleveland against the Browns. Perhaps they were looking ahead to their matchup this week against the Steelers, either way they need to sure up their defense if they want to compete with Pittsburgh on Sunday night. Tom Brady has proven time and time again that the Patriots can win with less than "star quality" names on offense but the Patriots have never won without a stingy defense. If they can find a way to play better on the defensive side of the ball they have a chance to stamp their name permanently in our top 5.
4. New York Giants (6-2) - The New York Giants continue to impress on the defensive side of the ball as they held the Seattle Seahawks to 7 points on Sunday. This game was over before half as the Giants ran out to a 28-0 lead in the second quarter. This week they invite the spiraling Dallas Cowboys into northern New Jersey in a divisional showdown that should be more one-sided than Cowboys fans would like to see. As long as they aren't looking ahead to their week 11 showdown with the Eagles, the Giants should walk away with another easy victory.
5. Atlanta Falcons (6-2) - The Falcons proved on Sunday that they belong in the top 5 of our power rankings by beating a surprisingly good Tampa Bay Buccaneers team at home. This team is by far the quietest 6-2 team in the NFL and should be a team to watch out for come January. They can prove that they belong as the will have a chance to take down our number one team on Thursday night when they face the Ravens at home. If they can stick to their game plan of running the ball with Michael Turner down opposing teams throats they must just pull off the upset.
Honorable Mentions: New York Jets, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers, Philadelphia Eagles
There is the top 5 teams in the NFL after week 9. Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to leave a comment! Also don't forget to visit my site, www.moleandmeares.com , to watch our weekly picks video and submit your week 10 NFL picks for a chance to win a weekly prize.