There was some major shakeups in our power rankings after week 8. I thought that the AFC was far and away the better conference in the NFL and then two NFC teams beat 2 of our top 5 teams on Sunday. There is only one team left in the NFL with one loss and they occupy our top spot for the first time this season...here we go...
1. New England Patriots (6-1) - The Patriots won an impressive game over the Vikings on Sunday in a game where the Vikings had to win. The Patriots defense seems to be playing much better over the last couple of weeks, if they keep improving this team is going to be tough to beat come January. This week the Patriots travel to the dog pound to face the improving Cleveland Browns who are coming off their biggest victory in the past 5 years. For the Patriots sake, I hope they aren't looking forward to the week 10 match up with the Steelers and forget to show up against the Browns.
2. Baltimore Ravens (5-2) - The Ravens were on a bye last week and had some time to get some players healthy and rested. They move up the rankings this week by default since the teams above them lost. This week they will face the Dolphins at home and so far this season the Dolphins are the best team in the NFL on the road. This should be a very good matchup and if the Ravens can pull out a win they can prove that they belong in the number 2 spot in our rankings.
3. Indianapolis Colts (5-2) - Even with the injuries to some key players the Colts continue to find a way to win. Peyton Manning continues to show everyone why he is the most valuable player in the NFL. They got revenge on the Texans for the week 1 loss and now are in first place in the very competitive AFC south. This week they will travel to Philadelphia to face the Eagles who are coming off of a bye and will have Michael Vick back behind center. The Eagles are undefeated coming off of a bye under Andy Reid but have never played the Colts well. Should be an interesting matchup and one the Colts should be able to win.
4. Pittsburgh Steelers (5-2) - The Steelers are the only team in our power rankings who lost on Sunday. They ran into a buzz saw in the New Orleans Saints who were desperate for a win after being embarrassed at home against the Browns the week before. This week they will travel to Cincinnati for a divisional matchup against the Bengals who swept the Steelers in '09. This Steelers team is better than last year and this Bengals team is no where near as good as they were in 2009. The Steelers will continue their winning ways this week, that is a guarantee.
5. New York Giants (5-2) - The Giants have finally cracked their way into our top 5 and did so being idle during week 8. Their defense has been playing out of their minds the past few weeks and if Eli Manning can stop throwing interceptions this team looks to be the one to beat in the NFC. The Giants have to travel across the country to face the Seahawks on Sunday in a game in which they should win but it depends on which Seahawks team shows up this week. If the Giants can figure out a way to beat the Seahawks they may have a chance to move up our power rankings.
Honorable Mentions: New York Jets, Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
There is the top 5 teams in the NFL after week 8. Thoughts or opinions? Feel free to leave a comment! Also don't forget to visit my site, www.moleandmeares.com , to watch our weekly picks video and submit your week 9 NFL picks for a chance to win a weekly prize.