NFL Week 7 Recap and Thoughts
Another week gone in the NFL and another week of mystifying games. This is the same line I used to start this blog last week and it fits in perfectly again! If there is one thing consistent in the NFL this season it is inconsistency. This is by far the strangest season I have seen in my 32 years on this earth. Here we go...
1. After not showing up last week in Philly, the Falcons righted the ship and won at home against the Bengals. With Carson Palmer throwing for over 400 yards for the Bengals and Roddy White having over 200 yards receiving for the Falcons, was there any defense played in this game? The Bengals are in deep trouble after falling to 2-4.
2. The Eagles defense held Chris Johnson to 66 yards rushing. If I heard that before the game I would have said the Eagles would win...but wait, Kenny Britt goes for 225 yards receiving? Are you kidding me? After the first 150, maybe you should defend him. The Eagles gave up 27 points in the fourth quarter and looked awful doing it, the Titans outplayed them in every facet of the game.
3. Poor Buffalo. They played their best game of the year only to come up short in overtime. Ryan Fitzpatrick throws for 374 yards, that is more yards then the first 5 games combined. Baltimore, aren't you supposed to have a good defense? That is two weeks in a row where you were basically embarrassed on the defensive side of the ball.
4. Congratulations to the Carolina Panthers! They will not be the last team without a win in the NFL. The San Francisco 49ers are just not good and David Carr is worse. Is it time to let Mike Singletary go? This team is so out of whack, predicted to win their division and now might be on of the worst teams in the awful NFC.
5. DeAngelo Hall from the Redskins had 4 catches for 92 yards and a touchdown on Sunday, pretty good fantasy stats for a wide receiver. Here is the problem, Jay Cutler from Chicago is the one who completed the passes to Hall who isn't a receiver but a cornerback. Wow, the Bears have gone from good to bad very quickly. This game was a turnover fest and it is only be default that the Redskins won.
6. Kansas City, you are good! I have finally admitted it. The only other two teams in the AFC to allow less points then the Chiefs are the Jets and the Steelers. That is good company to be in. They put up 42 points against the Jaguars so obviously their offense isn't hurting either.
7. The Steelers win another game in a controversial call at the end of the game. It seems they win at least two games a year where the call goes their way. Roethisberger obviously fumbled at the goal line and because it was called a touchdown and play had stopped they had no other option then to give the Steelers back the ball at the 1. A very tough loss for the Dolphins and another gift for the Steelers, Christmas in October.
8. What has happened to the Saints? They got beat down by the Cleveland Browns, yes you read that correctly, the Cleveland Browns, and you know what is worse? It was in New Orleans! Drew Brees through two interceptions that were returned for touchdowns, that is not acceptable. They don't have the swagger they had last year and it shows.
9. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are tied for first in the NFC South after week 7. That seems hard to believe but they pulled out a last second score to beat the Rams at home and share first place with the Falcons. Given their performance last week against the Saints, I can't really jump on board with this team just yet.
10. Arizona Cardinals, your management and coaching staff should all be fired for allowing your team to start its season with this quarterback situation. If you want to hand the ball over to your rookie quarterback, Max Hall, then you need to allow him to play. You can't play musical chairs with your quarterback, not when its a rookie and a veteran who has proven useless. It is clear now that the Seahawks are the best team in the NFC West.
11. 59, that is the number of points the Raiders scored in Denver yesterday. That is 10 less than the points they put up in their four losses. The rushed for over 300 yards. The Broncos are in major trouble, this is the worst home defeat against a division rival in their history. That defense is better than this and needs to figure out who they are in the next few days.
12. The Chargers put up a fight in the fourth quarter to try and salvage their season but came up short. That was a big win for the Patriots, traveling across the country to face a desparate opponent after a big win the week before. They almost allowed the Chargers to fight back but in the end the Chargers last gasp, the field goal attempt as time expired, doinked off the right upright.
13. Brett Farve, it is time to retire. You didn't look good last night, you actually cost the Vikings the game. You are old, injured and you just don't seem that interested. Now you are causing a distraction off the field. If the Vikings had won last night then I would say you should continue to play, now I say just walk away, with whatever little amount of dignity you have left and it isn't much
Check back next Monday for my week 7 recap and don't forget to check out our site at www.moleandmeares.com to see our weekly picks video show and submit your picks for a chance to win our weekly prize!