Play Fantasy Use your Fantasy skills to win Cash Prizes. Join or start a league today. Play Now
 
Tag:Robby Gordon
Posted on: March 8, 2011 2:46 pm
 

NASCAR places Gordon on probation

Posted By Pete Pistone

NASCAR responded to last weekend's incident between Robby Gordon and Kevin Conway which saw the two drivers engaged in an altercation at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The sanctioning body placed Gordon on probation through the end of the season after investigating the incident in which the drivers were involved in a fight in the garage area after Friday night's practice.

From NASCAR Release

NASCAR announced today that Robby Gordon, driver of the No. 7 car in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, has been placed on probation until Dec. 31 for a rule infraction he committed March 4 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Gordon was penalized for violating Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing; involved in an altercation in the garage area with another competitor) of the 2011 NASCAR rule book.

 


More NASCAR coverage
Category: Auto Racing
Posted on: March 8, 2011 6:34 am
 

Conway responds to Gordon altercation

Posted By Pete Pistone

Kevin Conway issued a statement in response to his physical altercation Friday night in the las Vegas Motor Speedway garage area:

"I don't mind stiff competition, but I want to make sure the hard facts are told. First and foremost, I love being a part of NASCAR and have worked very hard to earn the privilege of competing in the Sprint Cup Series. On Friday night, Robby Gordon, who has a long history of issues in NASCAR decided to ambush me in the garage area at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, completely unprovoked. Robby even confronted Joe Nemechek, my car owner, on pit road during Cup Series qualifying shoving him and telling him that he was looking for me and going to assault me. We have many witnesses including a crew chief that signed a police report documenting the truth of his physical attack on me. Situations like this are not good for our sport. It's one thing if we were racing each other and I wrecked him or he wrecked me, that's an entirely different situation. It's very unfortunate that he chose to physically attack me to address his rage. Our fans, sponsors and NASCAR expect and deserve more from our competitors than this bullish, illegal behavior that was displayed by Robby against me."


More NASCAR coverage
Posted on: March 5, 2011 2:26 pm
Edited on: March 5, 2011 2:26 pm
 

Gordon, Conway fight in Vegas

Posted by Pete Pistone

The bad blood between Robby Gordon and Kevin Conway reportedly spilled over to a fight in the Las Vegas Motor Speedway garage area Friday afternoon.

The result of the fracas has Gordon on probation and Conway awaiting the wrath of NASCAR as well.

“Robby’s been put on probation – we’ll let everybody know for how long on Tuesday,” NASCAR Vice President of Competition Robin Pemberton said. “This doesn’t give Conway a free pass, either.”

The two are involved in a legal battle after being involved together on last year's Sprint Cup Series.

Gordon has filed a lawsuit against Conway's team sponsor Extenze while Conway has in turn sued lawsuit in their nasty spat over payments from the 2010 season.

Conway, who drove six races for Gordon's team last year, is seeking $27,000 from winning the Sprint Cup Series Rookie of the Year Award. Gordon is after $690,000 in back sponsorship money he feels is owed by Extenze and has indicated he'd pay Conway once that money was collected.

Conway has reportedly filed a police report against Gordon in the wake of Friday's altercation.

 


More NASCAR coverage
Posted on: February 10, 2011 11:34 am
Edited on: February 10, 2011 11:34 am
 

Robby Gordon now with Dodge

Posted By Pete Pistone

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Robby Gordon will return to the Dodge camp this Sprint Cup Series season and run a limited schedule behind the wheel of a Charger.

The veteran driver announced the switch during Thursday's Media Day activities at Daytona International Speedway and will return to the manufacturer he previously worked with a handful of years ago.

"This come full cycle some time and yes we're happy to be back with Dodge," said Gordon, who will campaign a Charger sponsored by his Speed Energy Drink in a yet-to-be-determined number of races.

Gordon will have engines supplied by Penske Racing, which is currently the only other Dodge team in the Sprint Cup Series.

He plans to compete in the Daytona 500 but has not yet mapped out his NASCAR plans beyond "Speedweeks."

"I'm putting together a schedule of races this year that i think are fun," Gordon said. "That will include some NASCAR, Indy, off road and whatever else comes along and makes sense."


Category: Auto Racing
Posted on: January 28, 2010 12:20 pm
Edited on: January 28, 2010 12:26 pm
 

Robby Gordon likely to run some races in BAM car

During an interview on Sirius radio's Tradin' Paint show, Robby Gordon said he will probably drive in some races for BAM Racing this season, a scenario I had been specualating about since news of Robby Gordon Motorsports' alliance with BAM.

By the sound of it, the two organizations are basically working as one with Gordon saying there will be at least one RGM or BAM car at every race. But he promises they won't be a start-and-park operation.

Gordon also has plans to build a monster truck and possbily make another run in the Indianpolis 500. So he's going to have quite a full plate.

You can find the full interview HERE .


Category: Auto Racing
Posted on: January 26, 2010 5:00 pm
 

Crew chiefs named for Robby Gordon, Mike Bliss

Tommy Baldwin will not be the crew chief of his team's No. 36 car this season as Kevin Buskirk will serve in the role with Mike Bliss as driver. The move will allow Baldwin to focus more of his attention on the business operations.

Looking for a job following the sale of Bill Davis Racing, Baldwin opted to start his own team in 2009. He started the season with Scott Riggs as the car's primary driver, but after missing four of the season's first 12 races, the two parties agreed to part ways. Mike Skinner , Patrick Carpentier and Brian Simo were then scheduled to share the driving duties the remainder of the season, but Carpentier had to beg out and the team picked up Michael McDowell .

TBR figured to have some growing pains as it slogged through the 2009 season. The 36 car failed to qualify for 11 of 36 events. For the races it did qualify for, it was mostly a start-and-park operation. Its best finish was 18th in the fall race at Talladega with Robert Richardson (in his only race with the team) behind the wheel. Riggs' best finish in the car was 25th.



According to foxsports.com, Robby Gordon has named Iain Watt crew chief.

Watt, who worked at Gillett Evernham Motorsports (now Richard Petty Motorsports) starting in 2007 and was director of performance engineering prior to the merger with Yates Racing at the end of last season, has an extensive racing background in IndyCar racing and sports cars. "He's ready for this level," Gordon said. "He's been here since the new year. We started talking back in November about this position. Let's let the results speak for themselves." FULL STORY

Of course, how many races Watt actually works as crew chief remains to be seen. With Jim Beam having left as a primary sponsor after last season, Gordon's team faces sponsorship questions. According to previous reports, Gordon had sponsorship for just eight races. But Gordon has also formed an alliance with BAM Racing to provided technical support, race cars and personnel for BAM's 49 car, which doesn't yet have a full-time driver. If additional sponsorship is never found for Gordon's 7 car, perhaps he can fill in at BAM

 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com