Tag:Tony Raines
Posted on: February 25, 2012 10:24 am
 

Santorum to sponsor Front Row No. 26 car in 500

Posted by Brian De Los Santos

Front Row Motorsports landed a Daytona 500 sponsor for it's No. 26 car in the form of Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum.

The car, driven by Tony Raines, who was able to make the race based on his qualifying speed, will feature campaign messaging from Santorum on its hood and quarter panels.

"NASCAR and the Daytona 500 are about as American as you can get -- and it's great to have my campaign represented by one of these incredible machines," said Santorum.  "The race weekend is a wonderful tradition that we're excited to be a part of as we spread our message. I like how Tony Raines turned some heads last weekend with his qualifying run and we'd like to keep turning heads, too. I think we're both looking for a win in the end."

With the Santorum campaign coming aboard the No. 26 Ford, Front Row Motorsports will have three sponsored entries in Sunday's Daytona 500.


Daytona Speedweeks
Posted on: August 13, 2010 1:14 pm
Edited on: August 13, 2010 2:28 pm
 

Front Row Motorsports replaces rookie Conway



Earlier this week there were rumors that rookie Kevin Conway , driver of the No. 34 car for Front Row Motorsports, was in danger of losing his ride which prompted this response from his sponsor ExtenZe:

"Contrary to some Internet reports out there that recently surfaced after the NASCAR race weekend concluded at Watkins Glen, ExtenZe and Alteril are 100% committed to Kevin Conway and the sport of NASCAR,” said Robert Wilhovsky, Director of Motorsports Marketing.

"While we are currently evaluating our options for 2011, Kevin Conway has been and will continue to be the foundation of our NASCAR program in the years ahead.

"We knew this was going to be a big learning year for him and it has been incredible what he has been able to accomplish with very limited resources and older equipment finishing right there with his much more experienced and veteran teammates each and every week while competing on many of the tracks for the first time in any type of race car.

"It has been exciting to watch Kevin develop this year as a driver and we are very excited to be a part of his quest to become the 2010 Raybestos Rookie of the Year in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.  Kevin has a big future with us and in NASCAR and we look forward to what lies ahead," added Wilhovsky.

While his sponsor may be committed to Conway, Front Row is not. The organizaton, which bent over backwards for Conway, juggling seats on a couple occassions in an effort to keep him in the top 35, has decided to make a change, Front Row has indeed made a change, replacing Conway with Tony Raines .

ExtenZe, however, will not sponsor the car. The company is suspending its program with Front Row while it evaluates its options with Conway.

Conway, who leads the rookie standings by virtue of being the only rookie to run the full season up to this point, has an average finish of 31.6 in 21 starts and his ride is 35th in owner points. His best finish is 14th (Daytona in July) -- the best finish in Front Row history according to the latest release from his sponsor that you can read below. He has finished better than 30th in just four races.

“First, I want to thank Front Row Motorsports with Yates Racing and Ford for giving me an opportunity to drive for them this year,” said Conway. “It has been a really big learning year for me and I certainly couldn’t have made it this far without Front Row, support from Ford, and the veteran leadership of my crew chief Peter Sospenzo and my teammates David (Gilliland) and Travis (Kvapil).

“It was exciting for me to be able to give Front Row their best finish in the team’s history and it’s unfortunate that we can’t work it out to remain in the car for the immediate future. From here, I am looking forward to what lies ahead for myself and ExtenZe Racing for the remainder of 2010 and beyond,” added Conway.

“As was released earlier this week, ExtenZe and Alteril are 100% committed to Kevin Conway and the sport of NASCAR,” said Robert Wilhovsky, Director of Motorsports Marketing. “While we are currently evaluating our options for the rest of 2010 and next year, Conway has been and will continue to be the foundation of our NASCAR program in the years ahead."

As soon as Front Row signed him, I figured it wouldn't end well. It seems fairly clear that the only reason he landed a Cup ride was because he had a sponsor in his back pocket, because other than that, the signing made absolutely no sense.

He had never completed a full season in any of NASCAR's lower tier series. In 25 starts over five years in the Nationwide Series, he never had a top 10.

There's still a chance Conway could return to the seat, but aside from Michigan, Raines is also scheduled to drive the car next week at Bristol.

-- Brian De Los Santos

 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com