Posted on: April 26, 2010 5:06 pm
Edited on: April 27, 2010 9:52 am
Steven Turner, wide receiver and special teams ace of the Bishop's Gaiters - has been invited (not signed) to the Bears mini-camp after he didn't get drafted this past weekend. He also spoke to the Eagles and Colts before settling on the Bears invite.
His stats at CFL Evaluation Camp. (where he broke or nearly matched almost every record)
40-yard dash: 4.31 seconds
Shuttle run: 4.03 seconds
Vertical: 43.5 inches
2009 Stats: Avg. Punt Return 20.4 yards, 2 TDs
His 40-yard dash time and vertical jump would've placed him second in both events at the NFL combine.
Who doesn't take a 7th round flyer on this kid?! (Al Davis where you at?)
Some of the return fun starts at 5:43.
Posted on: April 19, 2010 6:26 pm
Edited on: April 20, 2010 9:23 am
With its new Thursday night slot (er, afternoon for the non-East Coast folks - you guys are always getting a raw deal - NO SUSHI FOR YOU!) it will be easy for many folks across the country to miss the NFL Draft.
And THIS ONE will be the one not to miss.
Why is it gonna be the wildest draft ever?!
1) It features the Oakland Raiders.Yes - expect the unexpected once again.
(and before you spout off that every draft features the Raiders and their crazy "combine-induced" picks of nautical disasterousness, remember they're taking next season off thanks to that little Richard Seymour trade with the Pats.)
2) Lots and lots of trades.
3) Bill Belichick and the Pats.I'm giving you 6 to 5, that he'll flip next year's Raiders pick for a pick THIS year. Expect more wackiness with the Pats this draft.
4) Most Wanted: Pick #33, Rams 1st Pick of the 2nd Round1st of the 2nd round on Friday will be a bidding war that will go through the night. Before this season, you didn't have a WHOLE NIGHT of wheelin' and deelin'. Perhaps that's when the Pats make their move - maybe it'll be Denver - SOMEONE will make a move for that Rams pick and St. Louis will take the big bushel of picks with Glee. Everyone knows this - which leads us to.......
5) Pick #30, #31 and Pick #32.31 teams will want the Rams pick at #33 but they know (except for one) they won't get it. Some of the smarter teams will decide, hey if I'm gonna pay through the nose, I'm doing it BEFORE the bidding starts and my guy is gone. Expect some crazy action on the Vikings, Colts and Saints choices in the bottom three.
6) C. B. A.A lot of people complain about the ridiculous prices for unproven talent. But guess what? No one complains about the bargain-basement contracts picks get in the bottom half of the first round and the beginning of the second. Who knows what a new CBA will bring - but teams can LOCK into a player they want now, in a deep draft and get a tremendous contract. Moving into the late 1st round or 2nd round is almost like playing it safe with all the CBA turbulence ahead and we all know NFL coaches LOVE TO PLAY IT SAFE. (Except for Coach Payton, who does Super Bowl onside kicks and I bet, peddles his #32 pick into more risk-taking, BASKETT FULL OF GOODIES.
Side Note: The Eagles amongst other teams, have ALWAYS determined that high 2nd round picks are the best in the draft when you offset contract values with player values and have never been hesitant to trade down into the second round. The pick they got for Donovan? They prefered it was early second round vs. early first round.
Eagles Picks - 2nd Round (2009 Base Salary + Bonuses)
2009: LeSean McCoy - ($310k + 1.37 Mil)
2008: Trevor Laws - ($385k + $419k)
2008: DeSean Jackson - ($385k + $398k)
2007: Kevin Kolb - ($460k + $736k)
2007: Victor Abiamiri ($460k + $529k)
Jets' Vernon Gholston ($2.9 Mil + $6.286 Mil= $9.2 Million)
Now Abiarmiri is a solid backup whereas Laws hasn't established himself at all. Kolb is now the starting QB as is McCoy at RB and we all know how DeSean worked out. With all the money saved by 1 top of the 1st round bust vs. FIVE 2nd round picks, you can literally afford to overpay for a free agent.
More and more teams are learning, bottom of the 1st, top of the 2nd round is WHERE ITS AT!
7) Its a deep draft with lots of curious options at QB.Claussen slipping? McCoy? Tebow? Some intriguing choices plus a lot of teams setup to take a QB they can develop (KC, Philly, SF, Arizona)
So what are you going to see? Wild trading - maybe some "reaching" and no chance that there will be value picks at the QB position. Teams will be jockeying around like an auction - wild draft trading WILL ENSUE!
My trade predictions:
1. There will be no movement in the top 4 (the dollars are so insane, these picks almost have negative value)
2. Seahawks will bounce around with their picks.
3. Jaguars will move down out of their 10 slot by any means possible.
4. 49ers may move up with their 13th pick and down with the 17th one.
5. Patriots will move their 2011 Raiders 1st rounder to get a second pick in this draft
6. One (or more) of the Vikings, Colts and Saints will swap out of the bottom of the 1st round.
I also suspect several player trades will go down (in particular with running backs) after Day 1.
Now with all this action, just don't be stuck in traffic getting home to see it.
(Blatant Plug: CBSSports.com is covering it strong. Today, we had the NFL team bloggers from FanSided.com do a REAL live mock draft . Of course, we're covering the NFL Draft all weekend - check out our coverage. )
Posted on: April 13, 2010 11:27 pm
Edited on: April 14, 2010 11:38 am
Its NFL Draft Time. So here's the deal. Give me your SHOCKING pick for the Draft, a real "reach" or someone who drops way below what anyone could expect. Call it your Morgan State shocker of the NFL Draft. And the best one (judged by me) may or may not get this Die Cast 1999 Model car.
(may or may not, dot dot dot, lots of legal text not necessary since this is NOT a contest, sweepstakes and sure as heck isn't involved or have anything to do with CBSSports.com. Just me thinking of awarding this fine tiny automobile, on my own for someone who offers me something brilliant and insightful about the Draft. FYI - this isn't packaged but it is in great shape!)
My Draft Shocker: #13 - 49ers - Tim Tebow, QBHere's my shocker. Tim Tebow, who some experts have in the bottom of the first round - FLIES off the board as the 49ers pull a Raiders type move and snag Tebow with the #13 pick. Some will be stunned they didn't even wait to their #17 pick (which I think they will peddle into a late 1st and late 2nd round pick.) Colt McCoy ends up benefiting and sneaks into the bottom of the 1st round. Tebow is of course, thrilled with his new team and his pick. The Raiders are highly annoyed the 49ers steal their "What were they thinking?" thunder.
I also expect he WILL be at the Draft since he will have a hunch this is how it may go down. Its one thing to go fishing when you know your going top 5 but Tebow could go anywhere from 20 to 90. (Or #13 according to this "expert")
So why do the 49ers do it?
They need a QB and Tebow is EXACTLY the type of hard-nosed, leadership-laden QB that Coach Singletary would fall in love with. And what if he fails as a QB? Don't you think Coach would find a way to use the versatile uber-athlete? He could learn TE, FB or a custom H-Back type position - don't worry the . But if he IS the franchise quarterback than you may have one FOR THE AGES. And the 49ers have had a couple of those over the years. Perhaps the new regime gets torn up and shies away from the controversial pick but if intangibles can bump a draft pick down - can't they also bump one up.
Tebow at #13! The Fobeashyi "Shock Lock" of the NFL Draft.
Now - how many of your Florida/SEC/Tebow haters will quickly change your tune if he ends up on your team. For me, I certainly am no Florida fan but I am dying to see the Eagles draft the former Gators QB and somehow put together a Kolb, Tebow and Vick backfield for just one play. That would be awesome. What name would you even call that formation? Wait - did I just ask that? Someone call the moderators!!
So send me your "shockers" of the NFL Draft... and throw some of your "trade down" proposals as well (for bonus credit, I gotta have something else here to giv-aha this will work!)
And where do you think Tebow will go? !
With all the tenders getting signed the last couple of days and trade possibilities - I think this will be the WILDEST draft in ages!!
And yes, this car is THAT sweet!