1. Earl Thomas Tex – I think that Thomas is closer to being “the next Ed Reed” than the next guy on this list. He had 8 INTs last year and forced 5 fumbles in the last 2 seasons. Some say he’s too thin, but he weighed over 200 lbs at the combine. He blazed a 40 in the 4.3 range at his pro day and that was only a shade faster that what he ran in Indy. Plus, Thomas seems like a willing tackler to me. He’s very young and he will keep getting better. One of my absolute favorite guys in this draft.
2. Eric Berry Ten – Berry’s another ballhawk. He looks the part of a high 1st round pick. But I am concerned with his tackling. He tends to launch himself at his opponents instead of actually wrapping them up. That won’t fly in the NFL. He will improve on this, but I think Thomas is ahead of him at this point.
3. Nate Allen USF – I’ve only seen a few games in which Allen has played, but he is seemingly getting a lot of attention from scouts. I never claimed I knew more than they did. So I think Allen will be a 2nd rounder.
4. Morgan Burnett GT – Another fast riser. Could he go in the first round based on his size and his speed? Maybe. But I still see him as a mid 2nd rounder. But he’s better than the more hyped Taylor Mays.
5. Major Wright Fla – So highly touted out of high school. Another guy who might have gone higher a year from now if he had gone back to college in 2010.
6. Myron Lewis Van – He’s projected as a safety because he was a bit slow for CB. He has great size and was a 3-year starter in a tough conference. I think he’s underrated.
7. Taylor Mays USC – I think some team may buy into him as a 1st round pick. But his poor coverage skills and his bulky size have knocked him down in my book. He’ll be great running in a straight line chasing the guy who just toasted him on a deep ball though, because he does have blazing straight-line speed for a big man. That may have been harsh.
Guy who will make a good major league baseball left-handed pitcher: Chad Jones LSU – I’m kind of kidding. I think there is a role for Jones. He has impressive size and he had one of the best punt return TDs I’ve ever seen during a game in 2009. He is a terrific baseball player too.
Guy whom some teams might have rated in the same class (or higher) than Mays: Kam Chancellor VT – He had a nice week at the East-West Shrine game. He has good speed and LB size. Speaking of his size, he may actually be moved to LB by some teams.
Another guy who may be moved to LB: Barry Church Tol – One of my sleeper guys. He’s versatile.
OSU guy: Kurt Coleman OSU – I think he will go in the late 4th or 5th and he will make a team. He’s a tough kid.
Rhodes Scholar guy: Myron Rolle FSU – another 4th or 5th round guy who will find a roster spot. Obviously he’s a smart guy, but he also has been away from the game for an entire year.<!--EndFragment-->