Play Fantasy The Most Award Winning Fantasy game with real time scoring, top expert analysis, custom settings, and more. Play Now
 
Tag:Brad Hawpe
Posted on: March 8, 2012 8:25 pm
 

Injury roundup: Price, Manny, Harper and more

By C. Trent Rosecrans

David Robertson may not even have the oddest injury of the spring for any pitcher named David in the American League East.

Rays left-hander David Price Thursday's game after two innings with what the team called a "minor neck spasm." How does one suffer a minor neck spasm? Well, apparently by toweling off the beck of his head just a bit too hard.

Really.

Don't believe me? Ask Price.



If you didn't click on the video, Price said it's happened to him before and he shouldn't miss any time. [Tampa Bay Times]

PROJECTED LINEUPS AND ROTATIONS

• Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter may not make his scheduled start on Monday because of neck stiffness that has halted his training.

Carpenter canceled his throwing session on Wednesday and said Thursday he's been bothered by the neck stiffness. He was scheduled to throw Friday, but that may not happen, either. He said there's no timetable for his return. [St. Louis Post-Dispatch]

• Manny Ramirez may return from a sore back on Saturday against the Reds. Ramirez has played two games this spring and was scratched on Wednesday. [MLB.com]

• Nationals prospect Bryce Harper was a late scratch from Thursday's exhibition game because of a tightness in his left calf. He's listed as day-to-day, but expects to play either Friday or Saturday.

Harper said he didn't feel the tightness when hitting, but did feel it when he was in the outfield. [Washington Times]

• Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche played in a minor-league intrasquad game on Thursday, but he's still limited on his injured foot. He hit a home run during the game, but he wasn't able to get a real feel how his foot felt. He said he may be able to play in a big-league exhibition by Saturday. [MASNSports.com]

• Two days after his first start of the year, Mets left-hander Johan Santana said he felt good and is looking forward to his next start, Sunday against the Marlins. [New York Daily News]

• Orioles right fielder Nick Markakis will make his spring debut on March 14. Markakis had abdominal surgery in the offseason. He'll DH at first. [Baltimore Sun]

• Reds left-hander Bill Bray had been shut down for two weeks with a groin injury and then stopped his scheduled bullpen session short on Wednesday. Reds manager Dusty Baker told reporters that could lead to Aroldis Chapman moving back to the bullpen.

The Reds have tried stretching Chapman out and using him as a starter this spring, but he could be back in the bullpen with Bray's injury. Chapman is starting Friday in a split-squad game against the Giants. [Cincinnati Enquirer]

• The Rangers' Brad Hawpe was scratched from a B game against the White Sox because of a setback with his right hamstring. Hawpe was supposed to lead off every inning in his first action of the spring, but instead "overdid it" getting ready on Wednesday.

Hawpe said he expects to be ready by Friday. [MLB.com]

• Marlins right-hander Anibal Sanchez hasn't thrown in a spring training game yet, and there's no telling when he will return from the tightness in his throwing shoulder. He's expected to throw for the team in Jupiter on Friday. [Miami Herald]

​​​​​For more baseball news, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Or ...


Follow us on Twitter @EyeOnBaseball.
Posted on: October 31, 2011 10:43 pm
Edited on: October 31, 2011 10:58 pm
 

Monday brings plethora of option decisions

By Evan Brunell

As baseball readies for free agency, numerous decisions on options are being made. Those either free up players to hit the market or tie them to their 2011 club for one more season. Sunday's list is right here. Let's take a look at what happened Monday...

AMERICAN LEAGUE
NATIONAL LEAGUE
View the free-agent tracker here.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeonBaseball on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Posted on: August 9, 2011 11:00 pm
 

Padres to increase payroll in 2012

Jeff MooradBy C. Trent Rosecrans

The Padres will increase their payroll in 2012, if only modestly, and hope to find a "resting place" over the next five seasons around $70 million, Padres CEO Jeff Moorad told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Moorad, whose team will have a final payroll around $45 million this season, said next year's payroll "will start with a five."

The Padres have already committed $10.75 million to shortstop Jason Bartlett and second baseman Orlando Hudson, a raise of nearly $3 million, combined. The team also has a $5 million option on pitcher Aaron Harang, who made $3.5 million this season. They also owe Brad Hawpe a $1 million buyout and could have as many as 10 arbitration-eligible players.

And then there's Heath Bell, who is a free agent after the season and although he's expressed a desire to remain in San Diego and entertain a "hometown discount," he'd still likely be in line for a raise from the $7.5 million he made this season. 

With all of that in consideration, it's unlikely the Padres will be a big player in free agency this winter. That's hardly unexpected, though.

"The team is going to be homegrown," Moorad said. "I'm consistent. We're not going to be shifting our priorities from year-to-year. The plan won't change."

The team's local TV contract expires after the season and Moorad hinted that the team has another broadcast deal in place that would help .

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @eyeonbaseball on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Posted on: August 5, 2011 9:41 pm
 

Hawpe undergoes Tommy John surgery

By Evan Brunell

HawpeBrad Hawpe's season is over after undergoing Tommy John surgery, MLB.com reports.

Hawpe has been out since June 18 and hit just .231/.301/.344 in 195 at-bats. Hawpe was supposed to replace part of Adrian Gonzalez's production and keep the seat warm for prospect Anthony Rizzo, but he couldn't get going and became irrelevant once San Diego collapsed and began looking toward next season. As a result, the Padres won't skip a beat without Hawpe.

The first baseman, who played right field for years in Colorado and returned to that spot once Rizzo reached the majors, may be nearing the end of the line.  There is a mutual option for 2012 for $6 million, but San Diego will certainly exercise the buyout, pay Hawpe $1 million and move on. It may be tough for Hawpe to get a job next year after two straight poor seasons and may have to settle for a non-guaranteed contract and compete in spring training for a spot. Given he is defensively challenged, his value rests entirely in his bat, which has abandoned the 32-year-old.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Category: MLB
Posted on: June 21, 2011 7:03 pm
Edited on: June 21, 2011 7:41 pm
 

In flurry of moves, Padres put Luebke in rotation

By Evan Brunell

LuebkeThe Padres optioned Wade LeBlanc to the minor leagues on Tuesday in a series of roster moves, clearing the way for rookie reliever Cory Luebke to join the starting rotation, MLB.com reports.

Luebke tossed 50 pitches in relief of LeBlanc on Monday, quieting the Red Sox for two runs over 3 1/3 innings. The lefty has posted a strong 3.23 ERA and 1.00 WHIP over 39 2/3 innings, striking out 43 and walking 15, so he deserves an extended look in the rotation. Assuming he fills LeBlanc's spot, he will oppose Tim Hudson on Sunday in Atlanta. Luebke had four starts down the stretch last season with a 4.08 ERA and also boasts a career minor-league ERA of 3.49, so he's a promising player.

In other moves, first baseman turned right fielder Brad Hawpe was placed on the disabled list, with outfielder Luis Durango designated for assignment. With two open spots, the team added rookie reliever Josh Spence and catcher Kyle Phillips, giving San Diego three catchers. The team also officially released Jorge Cantu.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Posted on: June 8, 2011 6:03 pm
Edited on: June 8, 2011 8:10 pm
 

Report: Padres promoting Rizzo

By Evan Brunell

Anthony RizzoThe Padres promoted first baseman Anthony Rizzo to the major leagues on Wednesday but will not activate him until Thursday's game, reports the North County Times.

Rizzo had his left thumb examined Wednesday morning after bruising it in a Triple-A game. With 16 home runs and a .365 average in 200 at-bats for the Triple-A affiliate, Rizzo is one of the best hitting prospects in the game and should go a long way toward lifting the fortunes of the anemic offense.

To make room for Rizzo, Brad Hawpe is expected to move to right field and become the starter at that position.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Posted on: June 7, 2011 5:17 pm
Edited on: June 7, 2011 5:42 pm
 

A's Weeks latest prospect to get the call

Jemile WeeksBy C. Trent Rosecrans 

The prospects are coming! The prospects are coming!

Isn't that what Paul Revere said? Oh, right, it was something different. But forget Paul Revere. This is much more interesting.

Now that it's June and many teams believe they're free from allowing a top prospect to earn Super Two status (if it indeed exists in the next CBA), the prospects are heading to the big leagues.

The Dodgers called up Dee Gordon Monday, and then the A's called up Jemile Weeks. Unlike Gordon, Weeks was in the lineup right away, leading off and playing second. Gordon is in the Dodgers' lineup Tuesday night.

Weeks, the younger brother of Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks, was a first-round pick of Oakland in 2008 out of the University of Miami. He was hitting .321/.417/.446 with three home runs and 10 stolen bases at Triple-A Sacramento.

The A's also called up lefty Bobby Cramer, putting Brett Anderson and Mark Ellis on the disabled list. To make room for Weeks on the 40-man roster, Dallas Braden was moved to the 60-day disabled list.

Other prospects who could be coming any day include San Diego's Anthony Rizzo, Seattle's Dustin Ackley and Toronto's Brett Lawrie.

Ackley's another second baseman, and he's hitting .302/.420/.492 with eight home runs and 31 RBI in 59 games. He could add some sock to an anemic Mariner offense.

Lawrie was expected to be called up last week but was placed on the minor-league disabled list after being hit in the wrist on Sunday. The move is retroactive to Thursday. The minor-league DL is only seven days, and Lawrie suffered just a bruise, so he may be called up as soon as early next week. Lawrie has reportedly improved defensively at third base, where the team has gotten very little production.

Padres general manager Jed Hoyer told the Associated Press on Tuesday that Rizzo was "close" to being called up but that no decision has been made. He's hitting .363/.444/.715 with 16 home runs and 63 RBI for Triple-A Tucson. Brad Hawpe has been the team's first baseman, and he has been struggling (.238/.305/.366), and he's also been working in right field to make way for Rizzo.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.


Posted on: May 26, 2011 12:51 pm
Edited on: May 26, 2011 1:13 pm
 

When are Padres calling up Anthony Rizzo?

By Evan Brunell

RizzoWhen are the Padres going to call up Anthony Rizzo?

The perfect opportunity seemed to avail itself when outfielder Will Venable officially lost his starting job and was demoted to Triple-A, opening a spot in right field.

Whaddya know: Incumbent first baseman Brad Hawpe's longtime position in Colorado was right field. That would open up a spot for the hot-hitting Rizzo, one of the prospects acquired in the Adrian Gonzalez trade. Rizzo is tearing up Triple-A as a 21-year-old, with a .366/.442/.720 line, and bashing 14 home runs in 190 plate appearances. While he's in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, there's no question Rizzo has taken the next step forward in his development and will give the Padres a more than capable replacement for Gonzalez. And in a few years, once Casey Kelly hits the majors and Reymond Fuentes blossoms, people in San Diego will forget all about A-Gon.

However, the Padres chose to bypass Rizzo, feeling that he still has some development left in Triple-A. Not helping matters was a bruised left hand that kept Rizzo out of action a few games this past week.

Still, a Rizzo promotion appears inevitable, and Padres brass has already discussed moving Hawpe to right, as the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

“He is not going to go back down once he comes up,” Padres GM Jed Hoyer said of Rizzo and why he's resisted the call up so far. “And we’re not going to bring him up as the remedy for the offense. The timing and situation has to be right.”

San Diego is losing ground in the NL West, dropping seven of the last 10 games and falling to last place, eight games behind the first-place Giants. If San Diego wants to keep the team relevant past June, Rizzo's call up has to occur soon. The Super 2 deadline has effectively passed at this point, so they no longer need to worry about Rizzo becoming eligible for arbitration a year early. At this point, it's simply developmental concerns, not financial, holding Rizzo back.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com