Tag:Alfredo Simon
Posted on: February 21, 2011 3:09 pm
Edited on: February 21, 2011 3:40 pm
 

Report: Simon could be released from jail

Alfredo SimonAlfredo Simon could be released from a Dominican prison within the next week-to-10 days, MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli writes.

Simon is expected to be cleared in the shooting death of his 25-year old cousin in the Dominican Republic in a New Year's celebration, Ghiroli writes, citing two sources. Authorities are reportedly investigating another suspect in the crime, which could help his case.

The Orioles placed Simon on the restricted list last week to make room for Vladimir Guerrero. He can remain on the list until he is able to rejoin the team, but is not paid and doesn't accrue service time. He could, however, be ready to join the team for spring training.

"We fully expect him to be back up -- and pitching very soon," one of his agents, Phil Isaac, told MLB.com.

Simon served as the Orioles' closer for a time last season, picking up 17 saves to go along with a 4-2 record and a 4.93 ERA in 49 games. He was replaced by Koji Uehara last season.

Since then, the Orioles added former Blue Jays closer Kevin Gregg, as well David Riske and Jeremy Accardo to the bullpen. The team is long on relievers and it could be tough for Simon to break camp with the team -- although, compared to the future he was facing, a trip to Norfolk, Va., doesn't sound too bad right about now.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb  on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

 

Posted on: February 18, 2011 9:53 am
 

Morning Pepper: Cabrera concern

Miguel Cabrera
Some things are more important than baseball. Miguel Cabrera's life is one of those things.

For the second time in his career, Cabrera's alcohol abuse has become a public issue. The first was at the end of a season, this time it's at the beginning.

Cabrera underwent counseling after the 2009 season and his incident with his wife at their home. He rebounded with the greatest season of his young career in 2010, but then came Wednesday's arrest for DUI in Florida.

Now is the time for the Tigers to worry about Cabrera, not the 2011 season. Cabrera needs professional help right now, and if he needs to miss all of spring training or even part of the regular season, so be it.

The team is apparently doing due diligence in Cabrera's fate, which is not only the right thing to do for the person, it's also the best thing to do as a business. Cabrera is 27 and has the prime years of his career ahead of him. He's also signed through 2015 (at $20 million or more per season from now throughout he end of the contract), so his problem is the Tigers' problem.

It's a sad tale, and hopefully has a happy ending. That ending doesn't necessarily have to do with baseball, but Cabrera's well-being and the rest of his life.

WORST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE?: Even thought he cliches about "best shape of his life" spring training stories have become cliche, but no need to wear that meme out with Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez.

Alvarez "clearly looks bulkier," the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review 's Rob Biertempfel writes . Clint Hurdle says he's just "big-boned."

MEET THE BENCH: Cubs manager Mike Quade said he'll consider pulling left fielder Alfonso Soriano late in games. (Chicago Tribune )

SAFETY FIRST: Carlos Santana will play some first base this spring, hoping to keep his bat in the lineup and give his legs a break from catching.

Santana said he played third and the outfield in the Dodgers system and expects the move to be relatively easy.

The Indians did the same thing with Victor Martinez before they traded him to Bosoton. (Cleveland Plain Dealer )

ROSTER MOVE: In one of the more striking roster moves of the season, the Orioles have placed Alfredo Simon on the restricted list to make room on their roster for Vladimir Guerrero, whose signing became official today.

Simon is in jail in the Dominican Republic as the prime suspect in a fatal shooting. (Baltimore Sun )

ARBITRATION DATE: Astros outfielder Hunter Pence is headed to an arbitration hearing today in Phoenix.

Pence will make either $6.9 million if he wins his case, $5.15 million if he loses it. I wouldn't mind losing like that.

OPENING A'S: Oakland manager Bob Geren won't make a decision about his opening-day starter until later in spring training. It's likely between Trevor Cahill, Dallas Braden and Brett Anderson. (San Francisco Chronicle )

LEAGUE LEADERS: The Mariners may not lead the league in much, but their bullpen could lead the league in tattoos.

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times talks to relievers Brandon League and Justin Miller about their tattoos.

Baker also has a story about the ol' days when players had to have off-season jobs.

MUST READ: Sean Kirst of the Syracuse Post-Standard writes about Jacob Francis   the first African-American umpire. Francis umpired an exhibition game between the Syracuse Stars and the Proivdence Grays in 1885. He may have also been a neighbor of Moses Fleetwood Walker.

TODAY IN HISTORY: Feb. 18, 1944, the Reds signed 15-year old Joe Nuxhall to a major-league contract. Nuxhall was in uniform on opening day, but didn't appear in a game until June 10, 1944. Eight years later, he'd start his big-league career in earnest, pitching until 1966.

TODAY'S TIMEWASTER: Seamheads.com has this amazing ballpark database. Go there only if you don't have plans for the next hour.

BROWSER SWITCH?: I tried out Google's Chrome browser, but didn't have much luck with it, so I stuck with Firefox. However, the newest feature may get me to switch -- a personal blacklist can remove sites from Google search results .

BAD NEWS: Giordano's filed for bankruptcy .

GOOD NEWS: Radiohead's releasing the digital version of its new album a day early , so if, like me, you've already ordered it, you should get it today.

VAN LENNON: A Jump-Imagine mashup for your enjoyment.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb  on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.



Posted on: January 10, 2011 2:19 pm
 

Simon's lawyer says witnesses will step forward

Alfredo Simon's agents tells the Baltimore Sun there are several witnesses who are will to testify the Orioles pitcher could not have fired the bullet that killed Castillo Almonte.

Phil Isaac tells the paper that Simon was "quite a distance" from the spot where Almonte, Simon's cousin, was killed.

"There are a few witnesses that will come forward that we have spoken to and that the attorneys have spoken to that will testify -- if it comes to that -- that under no circumstances whatsoever could Alfredo have fired the fatal shot," Isaac told the newspaper.

The other victim, Starlin Castillo Hernandez, told a Dominican newspaper that there was no mistaking that Simon was the shooter and it wasn't an accident.

Simon is in custody, but has yet to be charged with a crime, although he is the chief suspect in the shooting. The ballistics report on the gun used in the crime is expected to be released Tuesday. However, the prosecution has alleged Simon switched the barrels of the gun before surrendering it to the police.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb  on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.


Category: MLB
Posted on: January 4, 2011 11:27 am
 

Simon 'opens his soul'

Alfredo Simon
Alfredo Simon, the Orioles reliever accused of murder in a New Year's Eve shooting in the Dominican Republic, says the shooting was an accident. His lawyer says Simon was singled out from a group of more than a dozen people who were shooting guns at the time, and there's no evidence his was the bullet that killed a man he described as Simon's cousin.

"In truth that young man (the victim) was my friend, like a brother," Simon told reporters when he turned himself in at a police station, according to MLB.com. "It wasn't a thing like we began arguing and I started shooting. It was some accident; it happened by accident. That's why I came here -- to open my soul."

A prosecutor says Simon fired into the air in an attempt to break up an argument, and the bullet hit one man in the arm before fatally striking Michael Esteban Castillo in the chest. Simon's lawyer, Carlos Olivares, said his client was among "a group of 14, 15 people" who fired into the air.

"He understood that nothing had happened at the moment. And 45 minutes later, when he was eating at some restaurant or discotheque, somebody tells him, 'Hey, you're the one who killed so-and-so,'" Olivares said, according to accounts by the Dominican media. "The fact is that in this incident, many people fired guns, but the only person who's been summoned for this is my client."

Olivares turned Simon's gun over to police, and it is hoped that a ballistics report will determine whether that gun fired the fatal shot. The results are expected in the next couple of days.

-- David Andriesen

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Category: MLB
Posted on: January 3, 2011 11:23 am
Edited on: January 3, 2011 4:28 pm
 

O's Simon surrenders to police

Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon has surrendered to police in the Dominican Republic for questioning in a fatal shooting, the Associated Press reports .

Simon arrived at national police headquarters in Santo Domingo on Monday. According to the report, Simon's lawyer have his gun to police.

Police have said Simon told detectives he fired twice into the air during a celebration in the town of Luperon on New Year's Eve.

One man, 25-year-old Michel Castillo Almonte, died from a gunshot, while his 17-year-old brother was shot in the right arm and is currently hospitalized.

UPDATE: Simon's former teammate, Miguel Tejada, is footing the bill for his legal fees, the Baltimore Sun reports . Simon made the MLB minimum salary of $400,000 last season. Tejada signed a one-year deal with the Giants worth $6.5 million this offseason.

From the Sun :

“Alfredo is a kid I really love a lot, he is in trouble right now, and that’s what we do, we stick together,” Tejada said. “We wanted some big company attorneys, there are some good ones here in the Dominican and this is a special case.”

Tejada said he does not know the attorneys personally but took the recommendation of friends. He said he spoke to Simon on Sunday and said the pitcher is doing well, given the circumstances.

“He is fine. He told me he doesn’t have anything to do with it, he is not the one to do it, and I believe him,” Tejada said. “I tell him I am with him and if there’s anything he needs, I am here.”

UPDATE: Dominican officials will seek three months of incarceration against Simon immediately and widen the investigation according to a report from CNN .

Simon told CNN that the victim, Castillo, was "like a brother" and the shooting was an accident.

"In truth that young man was my friend, like a brother," he said of Michael Esteban Castillo. "It wasn't a thing like we began arguing and I started shooting. It was some accident; it happened by accident," Simon said, speaking at the police station where he turned himself in. "That's why I came here -- to open my soul," he said.
Teammate Julio Lugo accompanied Simon on Monday when he turned himself into police for questioning.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb   on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed


Posted on: January 2, 2011 12:11 pm
Edited on: January 2, 2011 8:23 pm
 

O's reliever 'main suspect' in killing

Alfredo Simon Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon is the "main suspect" in a killing in the Dominican Republic, according to the Associated Press .

According to a police statement, Simon shot and killed 25-year-old Michel Castillo Almonte and wounded his 17-year-old brother during a celebration on New Year's Eve in the town of Luperon.

Orioles official Felipe Alou Jr., said Simon insists he was not involved.

Simon spent time as the Orioles closer last season, earning 17 saves before being displaced by Koji Uehara. The 29-year-old went 4-2 with a 4.93 ERA.

UPDATE: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun has more details on his blog . Connolly talked to Alou, who said Simon claims innocence. From the Sun :
“All I can say is what he told me, the news (stories) have more to it,” Alou told The Sun in a telephone interview Sunday afternoon. “What Alfredo said himself was that he was at the place it happened, a person was killed and one went to the hospital, but he had nothing to do with it.”

Alou said Simon talked Sunday with the academy’s assistant administrator, Jorge Perozo, and said his attorney in the Dominican has been in contact with the police. Alou said he believes Simon is at his home near Santiago – roughly a 30-minute drive from where the incident occurred -- and that he plans to give a statement to the authorities on Monday. Because it is part of a holiday weekend, Alou said nothing official was expected to take place on Sunday.

UPDATE: Simon's agents, Phil and Alex Isaac, tell the Baltimore Sun that Simon is expected to meet with authorities tonight and he was never "in hiding"  as some reports suggested.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb   on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.



Category: MLB
Posted on: December 7, 2010 8:16 pm
 

Bartlett deal to Baltimore now off

While almost assumed to be happening earlier in the day, the Orioles' trade of Nolan Reimold and reliever Alfredo Simon to the Rays for Jason Bartlett have failed apart, the Baltimore Sun writes .

The Orioles were uncomfortable giving up on the 27-year old Reimold so quickly. Reimold has been working out with former Orioles outfielder Brady Anderson, who sent back positive reviews (and, hopefully not future positive test results).

General manager Andy MacPhail wouldn't say the deal was dead, but sounded somewhat up-beat about Reimold.

"We have seen two Nolans," MacPhail told the Sun . "We're hopeful that the Nolan we get back will resemble more the 2009 [version] than the 2010 [one]."

Reimold hit .207/.282/.328 with three homers in 39 games with the Orioles before being sent back to Triple-A Norfolk. In 2009, he hit .279/.365/.466 with 15 homers in 104 games in Baltimore.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb  on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed
Posted on: August 10, 2010 9:37 pm
 

Orioles to spread save opportunities around


Alfredo Simon isn't exactly out as the Orioles' closer, but he's not going to be the only one finishing out games for Buck Showalter.

Simon has 17 saves, but has blown three of his last 10 save opportunities and allowed runs in six of his last 10 outings.

"I'm sure Simon will get some more opportunities along the way, but I feel like we have some other people capable of doing it other than him," Showalter told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun . "We'll see what each night dictates."

Michael Gonzalez and Koji Uehara could get some of those opportunities.

"Some guys down there have shown that they are capable of getting big outs for us," Showalter said.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter.

 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com