Red Sox starting pitcher Clay Buchholz is presently on the disabled list with a lower back strain. He played catch Friday in Tampa Bay, but the results didn't sound too positive. The 26-year-old reportedly said there's no timetable for his return and it sounds like he'd say he's less than 80 percent right now (via BostonHerald.com).
“It’s basically just going to be a feel thing,” Buchholz said. “It’s something that I don’t think I can really rush into or try to do more than I can on that particular day just for the fact that it’s a muscle in my back. It sucks. Obviously, I want to be pitching, I want to help the team in any way I can. Me going out there not 100 percent, or not 80 percent, I don’t think is going to help the team any. I think if I rush back into it, it will be something that will be here for the rest of the season and I don’t want that. I’d rather be ready to pitch at 100 percent and I feel like that’s the way that I can help this team win.”Buchholz is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA and 1.29 WHIP in 14 starts this season. He was 17-7 with a 2.33 ERA last year, en route to finishing sixth in AL Cy Young voting. He's one of three members of Boston's opening day starting rotation on the disabled list. Daisuke Matsuzaka is out for the season and ace Jon Lester is currently going through a short -- at least the Red Sox hope so -- DL stint as well.
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.