Tag:Scott Boras
Posted on: January 26, 2011 7:14 pm
Edited on: January 28, 2011 12:39 pm
 

Angels talking long-term with Weaver

Jared Weaver After an offseason without much spending, it looks like Angels owner Arte Moreno is opening up his pocketbook -- and not just taking on the worst contract in baseball, but also opening up talks for a long-term deal with his best pitcher, Jered Weaver.

Moreno said the team has started long-term contract negotiations with the 28-year old right-hander, according to Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com . Weaver has asked for $8.8 million in arbitration with the Angels offering $7.45 million.

General manager Tony Reagins said he didn't know if the team would work something out before their schedule arbitration history.

"I have no idea," Reagins said. "Any time you have dialogue, it's positive."

Weaver is represented by Scott Boras, so if he signed a long-term deal before free agency, he'll have to get paid well. However, Boras and Moreno don't have the best relationship. When asked about his relationship to Boras, Moreno didn't exactly speak in glowing terms:
"My mother always told me, 'If you don't have something nice to say about somebody, don't say anything.' I don't have to deal with anybody I don't have to deal with. That's the way I live my life."
A deal would certainly behoove the Angels. Weaver is 64-39 with a  3.55 ERA in his career, and was fifth in Cy Young voting last season after going 13-12 with a  3.01 ERA and his 233 strikeouts were more than any other pitcher in baseball. He also had an xFIP of 3.51, the best of his career. He appears to be maturing and becoming one of the game's best starters, a locking him up to a long-term deal would certainly benefit the Angels.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.




Posted on: January 11, 2011 10:49 am
Edited on: January 11, 2011 10:49 am
 

Royals searching for starters

Much to his dismay, it appears Royals general manager Dayton Moore has remembered he must field a team in 2011 -- one with hitters and pitchers.

Bruce Chen So far the Royals rotation is Vin Mazzaro, Luke Hochevar, Kyle Davies and Sean O'Sullivan. The team needs a fifth starter (or first or second or third or fourth, depending on how you look at it) for next season, but with an influx of talent due in Kansas City in 2012, Moore isn't looking to give out a multi-year deal to anyone.

Moore told MLB.com's Dick Kaegel that he's only looking at starting pitching at this point in the offseason. There's little on the free-agent market, but the team could bring back Bruce Chen.

"We're still open-minded with that," Moore told Kaegel. "He performed very well with us last year and showed us what he had, and we've got a comfort level there."

Chen, 33, went 12-7 with a 4.17 ERA in 23 starts for the Royals last season. Chen is a Scott Boras client and has apparently been eyeing a multi-year deal following his good 2010, but his status as a free agent shows that nobody is biting, even in a pitching-poor market.

Or Kansas City could look to trade, although it's unlikely the team would give up too much for a short-term solution.

"It's something that we'll continue to look at, and it might be Spring Training or early next year," Moore said. "You're always looking to get better, so it's not out of the question we might make some kind of move and pitching is one of those areas where you can never have enough depth. And we don't want to be in a position where we're force-feeding some of those kids, either."

Still, some of those kids -- Aaron Crow, John Lamb and Danny Duffy -- could get an extended look during spring training.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb  on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.



Posted on: January 3, 2011 11:28 pm
 

Young OK with move to DH

Michael Young Michael Young is fine with moving to designated hitter if the Rangers do sign free-agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.

There had been reports that he didn't want to move, but he told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram 's Jeff Wilson that he's fine with a move .

"My motivation is to play for a winning team and to be extremely productive. And I want to do that with the Rangers," Young said. "If I've got to get the majority of my 700 plate appearances as a DH, that's what I've got to do."

Young told the paper that he's talked with general manager Jon Daniels, but the conversation "was left somewhat open-ended." Young said he did not discuss playing first base. According to the Dallas Morning News , Young could be used in a hybrid designated hitter/super-utility role, filling in at other infield spots when he's not the DH. He's the only player in history to start at least 130 games in a season at shortstop, second base and third base.

Wilson also writes the negotiation with Scott Boras are on-going and "there is a level of confidence that a deal could be struck."

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.


Posted on: January 1, 2011 12:20 pm
 

Rockies mum on possible Cargo extension

Carlos Gonzalez For the second time in eight weeks, the Rockies aren't commenting on Venezuelan reports that the team is close to signing Carlos Gonzalez to a multi-year contract, MLB.com's Thomas Harding writes .

A Rockies official told Harding that there's an offer on the table and has been for some time.

El Nacional in Caracas reported Friday that Gonzalez had gone to the capital to deal with visa arrangements for a trip to Denver on Wednesday. The newspaper says the contract will be "$78 or $80 million."

Before Christmas, a radio reporter in Venezuela tweeted that Gonzalez had reached a seven-year, $80 million deal.

Any long-term deal would be against the usual strategy for Gonzalez's agent, Scott Boras. Gonzalez, 25, isn't eligible for free agency until 2014 at the earliest. Gonzalez hit .336/.376/.598 with 34 home runs and 117 RBI last season and has blossomed at Coors Field, where he's hit .356/.405/.687 with 33 home runs in his three-year career.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb   on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.


Category: MLB
Posted on: December 29, 2010 3:33 pm
 

A's drop out of bidding for Beltre

Adrian Beltre It's long seemed the Angels will be the default landing spot for free-agent third baseman Adrian Beltre, but with the A's reportedly dropping out of contention for Beltre, it would appear he's running out of options.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes the A's, who had made multiple offers to Beltre, "pulled out of the talks this week to pursue other players."

It looks as if this could be the rare overplay by Beltre's agent, Scott Boras. The Rangers are the only other team known to have interest -- but they'd have to find a taker for Michael Young, which doesn't seem likely.

Rosenthal says the Orioles and Blue Jays could make offers, while the Mariners, Marlins, Dodgers and Giants could use help at third base. Keep those teams in mind when the "mystery team" pops up in the next week.

The Angels have pulled a five-year, $70 million offer, while the A's had reportedly offered five-years and $64 million. If Beltre signs for a penny less, it could be seen as the rare loss on Boras' record, more than any referendum on the player himself.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb   on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.


Posted on: December 13, 2010 8:43 am
 

Of course, 'mystery team' is in on Lee

Stop me if you've heard this one before…

Sports Illustrated 's Jon Heyman tweets that there's a "mystery team" in on Cliff Lee. Usually "Mystery Team" only bids on Scott Boras clients, but it's far from a shock they're in on Lee, too. He is the biggest fish in the free-agent pond and "Mystery Team" has helped drive up the prices on players before, so it make sense they're getting involved now.

Heyman notes it's not the Phillies, or in another tweet , the Angels.

The only known "Mystery Team," the Nationals -- which was the "Mystery Team" that signed Boras client Jayson Werth -- are also out, MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports .

What's funny is we may have a good ol' fashioned media slapfight any minute, as ESPN.com's Buster Olney calls out Heyman, tweeting :
"Remember: if you ever read about a 'mystery team,' it can only come spoon-fed from an agent who is trying to create leverage."

The good news is that the fact the 'Mystery Team' card has been played means things are winding down, and Cliff Lee will have a new team soon.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb  on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.


Posted on: December 8, 2010 5:30 pm
Edited on: December 8, 2010 5:42 pm
 

Tigers a fit for Ordonez, but questions remain

Magglio Ordonez Scott Boras told reporters on Wednesday that the market for Magglio Ordonez "is pretty aggressive."

Well, there may be a mystery team or three in there for all we know. One team that is certainly interested is the Tigers, his last club.

Boras said Ordonez worked out for teams -- including the Tigers -- on Wednesday to show that his knee is healthy, word here is that nobody's really buying him as an everyday player at this point -- especially for the type of moon he'll likely be seeking, as well as the rumor that he's looking for at least a two-year deal.

The Tigers aren't sure he could hold up to play every day in the outfield, however, with Victor Martinez splitting time between catcher and DH, he could DH on days Martinez is catching.

Boras said many of the teams interested in Jayson Werth are now interested in Ordonez and our own Danny Knobler says the Red Sox are a front-runner for the outfielder, and others are saying the Phillies have some interest. Word is the Red Sox were not at his workout today.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb  on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed .


Posted on: December 6, 2010 1:25 pm
Edited on: December 6, 2010 2:07 pm
 

Beltre seeking 5 years, $70 million

Adrian Beltre is looking for five years and more than $70 million, ESPN.com's Buster Olney tweets . I'm looking for a chauffeured Bentley and a pet monkey, but that's neither here nor there.

Beltre will be 32 in April, so he'd be 37 at the end of a five-year deal. But heck, he's a Scott Boras client, so who am I to say what he can't get. With the A's having pulled out of the negotiations (reportedly) and the Red Sox no longer needing him, it appears it's down to the Angels and a mystery team. Except that the Nationals already have Ryan Zimmerman at third base.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

UPDATE : Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says Beltre wants $85 million. Yeah, don't see that happening.

-- Evan Brunell

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com