Tag:Bronson Arroyo
Posted on: March 25, 2011 2:46 pm
Edited on: March 25, 2011 10:59 pm
 

Arroyo, tested for 'valley fever,' has mono

By C. Trent Rosecrans

Bronson Arroyo We expect strains, sprains and tears this time of year, but "valley fever" may be a new one.

Reds starter Bronson Arroyo had blood test and a chest X-ray on Thursday hoping to rule out the ailment, Arroyo told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer .

From the Mayo Clinic website :

Valley fever is a fungal infection caused by coccidioides (kok-sid-ee-OI-deze) organisms. It can cause fever, chest pain and coughing, among other signs and symptoms.

The coccidioides species of fungi that cause valley fever are commonly found in the soil in certain areas. These fungi can be stirred into the air by anything that disrupts the soil, such as farming, construction and wind. The fungi can then be breathed into the lungs and cause valley fever, also known as acute coccidioidomycosis (kok-sid-e-oi-doh-mi-KOH-sis).

Mild cases of valley fever usually go away on their own. In more severe cases of valley fever, doctors prescribe antifungal medications that can treat the underlying infection.

Still, Arroyo said he expects to make his scheduled start on April 3 against the Brewers, as well as the Reds' final spring game, Tuesday.

The A's Conor Jackson missed five months of 2009 with valley fever when he was with the Diamondbacks. Jackson dropped 35 pounds due to the Valley fever, but didn't have it diagnosed until a month into the season.

Arroyo is skinny and struggles to keep on weight to begin with, so if it is valley fever, it could have lasting effects on a pitcher so slight. Arroyo's calling card has been durability despite his frame, throwing at least 200 innings each of the last six seasons.

However, Arroyo did throw 5 2/3 innings in a minor league game on Thursday, allowing three earned runs, six hits and a walk with six strikeouts.

"I felt good yesterday," Arroyo told Fay. "I'm not sure what my velocity was, but I felt strong. My command was good."

UPDATE: Arroyo has been diagnosed with mononucleosis. (MLB.com )

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb  on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.  
Posted on: March 21, 2011 4:04 pm
 

Cueto likely to start season on DL

By C. Trent Rosecrans

Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto was shut down for the next week-to-10 days and will likely start the season on the disabled list, meaning Mike Leake's first minor-league start will have to wait.

Johnny CuetoThe Reds announced that Cueto has mild inflammation on his right shoulder and will stay at the team's training facility in Goodyear, Ariz., when the team leaves for Cincinnati next week.

"Everything structurally is fine," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told reporters, including MLB.com's Mark Sheldon. "The recommendation from Dr. [Timothy] Kremchek is to shut him down for a week or so and give it a chance to get him back on a throwing program."

The team expects him to need at least two weeks.

Another Reds starter, Bronson Arroyo, is dealing with the flu, so he's been bumped back a start, as well. That leaves the rotation as Edinson Volquez, Homer Bailey, Arroyo, Travis Wood and Leake.

There had been a battle between Wood and Leake for the final spot -- just as there was last spring. Last spring Leake, the 2009 first-rounder, won the spot out of spring, bypassing the minor leagues altogether. Leake had a fantastic first half of the season (6-1, 3.53 ERA), but then struggled and fought shoulder fatigue and was finally put not he disabled list. He finished the season 8-4 with a 4.23 ERA.

With Leake struggling, the Reds called up the left-handed Wood, who took a perfect game into the ninth at Philadelphia in his third career start. Wood finished the season 5-4 with a 3.51 ERA in 17 starts.

Wood was winning the spring battle, going 1-0 with a 3.21 ERA in four starts. Leake is 1-0 with a 6.23 in four games and three starts. However, in his last appearance, he went four scoreless innings against the Indians.

Cincinnati's pitching depth has been praised all spring, and like most others in the National League Central, it's being put to the test early.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Posted on: February 22, 2011 1:56 pm
Edited on: February 22, 2011 3:47 pm
 

Reds name Edinson Volquez opening day starter

In what appeared to be at least a three-man race to get the baseball on March 31 for the Cincinnati Reds, former All Star Edinson Volquez will get the nod over Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto et al.

Dusty Baker made the announcement Tuesday , a day after telling Volquez of the decision.

The 27-year-old right-hander is certainly talented enough to be the ace of the defending NL Central champions. In his only full season as a starter -- 2008 -- Volquez went 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA. He struck out 206 hitters in 196 innings. He was so good, he even drew votes for NL Rookie of the Year , despite not being eligible to receive the award (details, details ... ).

In the past two years, Volquez has started 21 games, going 8-5 with a 4.33 ERA and 1.42 WHIP. His start in last season's NLDS was a bit disastrous, but he was still regaining strength in his return from Tommy John surgery, which he had in August of 2009.

Volquez says he's already 100 percent and will certainly ready to go on opening day.

Baker seems to have arrived at the decision by simply eliminating the other starters in a relatively stacked rotation.
"We're very confident in Volquez. Plus, you name who you think can handle it the best," Baker said. "Is Homer ready for the No. 1? Is Wood ready for No. 1? Is Leake ready for No. 1? Cueto just signed a four-year contract, and what's he, 23 years old? He's already got enough pressure on him. I'm trying to relieve any pressure from him thinking he has to prove he's worth the money.

"There's nobody looser and I think can handle the situation better than Volquez. Not much bothers him. At least he doesn't show it bothers him."
As for Bronson Arroyo, who went 17-10 with a 3.88 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and logged over 200 innings for the sixth straight season last year?
"I think Bronson has always leaned towards not being it," Baker said. "He's more of a long-run type of guy. What's Bronson's ERA, [3.88]? If you're facing No. 1s, that equals a lot of losses. He's fine with it. I talked to him about it. He was thinking about it this winter, he feels it's the best spot in the rotation for him, too."
 -- Matt Snyder

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Posted on: January 13, 2011 4:37 pm
Edited on: January 13, 2011 4:53 pm
 

Arroyo still holds Boston close to heart

ArroyoEven though Bronson Arroyo was traded five seasons ago, he still evokes frustration in Boston circles after being part of what could be called the worst trade of the Theo Epstein regime.

Arroyo, fresh off a 14-10 season in 2005 with a 4.51 ERA, was dealt to the Reds just before Opening Day 2006 in a move designed to get some more power into Boston's system. The Red Sox felt they had enough pitching depth (as would soon be proven wrong) to make the move, so Arroyo was moved for outfielder Wily Mo Pena.

"We whiffed on Wily Mo, which is fitting,’’ said Epstein in an e-mail Tuesday to the Boston Herald, alluding to Pena's massive strikeouts. Pena would later be dealt to the Nationals and eventually find his way out of MLB-affiliated baseball for a brief period. He is currently in the Diamodbacks' organization, hoping to win a spot on the bench.

"To this day, I’ve never had a serious conversation with Theo about the trade," Arroyo said. "He told me at the All-Star Game in 2006 that he couldn’t walk down the street without someone screaming at him, ‘Why did you trade Arroyo?’ But there’s always a little bit of a wall between the front office and players, and there are some things they don’t like to talk about because maybe there were back-room issues that they don’t want to talk about. Maybe one day we’ll sit down and have a beer and he’ll tell me what he was thinking."

Even though Arroyo has since fallen in love with Cincy as well -- and will have been in Cincinatti three times as long as his Boston tenure by the end of his new deal which runs through 2013 -- Arroyo still looks upon Boston as a team he eventually wants to get back to. In fact, just before the trade to Cincy, Arroyo had signed a team-friendly contract extension that was instead used as a trade chip.

"Boston always feels like home," he said. "Even though I can safely say that I’ve cemented myself in Cincinnati for a while , this definitely still feels like home and in the back of my mind I know that there is no better place to play than in Fenway Park."

While Boston still holds a place in Arroyo's heart, he's not ready to say if he would return -- although Boston would be near the top of the list for the durable righty who leads all NL pitchers in innings pitched since 2006.

"I’m not going to say that I would definitely go there because in my mind right now there would be three places to keep pitching. One would be Cincinnati, another Tampa, so I could play nearer to my family and friends, and then the third would be Boston."

But would Boston be willing to give a 37-year-old a spot in the rotation in 2014? Not likely, but that doesn't faze Arroyo.

"Even if Boston was a farewell gig and I had to pitch out of the bullpen in middle relief, I’d do that."

-- Evan Brunell

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Category: MLB
Posted on: December 11, 2010 2:33 pm
 

Arroyo deferred $15M


Bronson Arroyo said all along he wasn't willing to give the Reds a hometown discount in signing an extension -- but he did agree to a very team-friendly structure.

According to contract information obtained by FOXSports.com, the pitcher deferred $15 million in his three-year extension, leaving the Reds with manageable salary payouts. He'll make $6.5 million in 2011 and $7 million in 2012, and all but $3 million of his $18 million salary for 2013 will be deferred without interest.

Arroyo didn't get no-trade protection, but he basically has it. He's got 10-and-5 protection starting in April of 2012, meaning he can veto any trade, and the contract calls for the deferral to be cancelled if he's traded. That means any team that traded for him would be on the hook for paying him $18 million in 2013, which isn't going to happen.

-- David Andriesen

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Category: MLB
Posted on: December 3, 2010 4:36 pm
Edited on: December 3, 2010 5:44 pm
 

Reds extend Arroyo to 2013

Bronson Arroyo
The Reds have finalized their extension with right-handed starter Bronson Arroyo, as initially reported by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, signing a $35 million deal that covers 2011-13.

It will be interesting to see the exact numbers on the deal. Arroyo was under wraps for 2011 after the Reds recently exercised an option variously reported to be worth between $11 million and $13 million. The Reds had wanted to decrease his 2011 salary as part of the deal (trading the security of years for immediate cash), but Arroyo had said there was no way he'd go for that after being burned by the Red Sox, who traded him shortly after he signed a long-term deal in 2006.

Two things would indicate that Arroyo backed off that refusal. First, it's announced as a new deal covering 2011-13 -- if the 2011 money stayed the same, it would just be a 2012-13 extension. Second, the money doesn't make sense, especially if the option was for the $13 million figure. That would make the value of the final two years of the deal $22 million, which would mean Arroyo agreed do a salary decrease . That doesn't happen. Perhaps he deferred money from 2011 in exchange for a full no-trade clause.

At any rate, Arroyo, 33, is a Red for three more seasons, which most Reds fans will likely consider good news. The past three years, he's gone 47-34 with a 4.15 ERA while making 100 starts with an ERA+ of 101.

-- David Andriesen

UPDATE: Arroyo said he does not have any no-trade protection other than the word of Reds owner Bob Castellini. Arroyo will get 10-5 rights in April, 2012, he said.

"I feel confident I'll be around here for three more years," Arroyo said.

Arroyo said being in Cincinnati was one of the reasons he wanted to sign the deal.

"I enjoy everything about the place, I enjoy the places I go, the restaurants I eat at, my teammates, the ballpark, the fans, I enjoy everything about the place," Arroyo said. "I'd sign here for five years if they'd let me, but I'm getting old, so they only gave me three."

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.



Posted on: November 8, 2010 7:48 pm
 

Jocketty: No Arroyo extension imminent


Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told the Cincinnati Enquirer that, contrary to a report that a Bronson Arroyo extension could be announced this week, nothing is close.

“We haven’t talked since we picked up his option,” Jocketty said, referring to the $13 million deal for 2011 that was picked up last week. “We’ll continue to talk. Nothing’s set yet. But I’m optimistic.”

The Reds would probably like to lower that 2011 salary as part of an extension, trading immediate dollars for the security of years, but the pitcher has said in the past he's adamant about not giving the Reds a discount as part of an extension.

Jocketty said the team has not exchanged numbers with anyone yet, but has had preliminary talks with some of its own free agents and some free agents from other teams. He said he would not expect the Reds to be players for the big fish such as Cliff Lee and Carl Crawford.

-- David Andriesen

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Posted on: November 3, 2010 6:13 pm
 

Reds budget to increase for 2011

The Reds' budget will be "better" than last year's $72 million, general manager Walt Jocketty told CBSSports.com on Wednesday, but because of the team's large number of arbitration-eligible players, he's unsure how much money he has to spend.

"It's hard to predict what those numbers will be," Jocketty said. "We can't commit a lot of dollars right now."

The total budget, Jocketty noted, wouldn't rise dramatically, but will be more than he had for 2010.

He said that was one of the reasons the Reds declined their $4 million option on shortstop Orlando Cabrera, although the team has talked to his agent about returning to the Reds at a lower rate.

Walt Jocketty Jocketty said the team has yet to hear word if outfielder Jay Bruce will qualify as a Super Two, which would also affect the team's bottom line. Bruce, in his second full season, hit .281/.353/.493 with 25 home runs and established himself as one of the top defensive right fielders in the game (he was second to Ichiro Suzuki in the Fielding Bible Awards). Jocketty said he expects to hear sometime this month on Bruce's status as a Super Two, though it is expected he will qualify.

Bruce won't get the biggest bump from the arbitration process, though. Likely National League MVP Joey Votto is also eligible for arbitration for the first time. In addition, the Reds have Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Bill Bray, Jared Burton and Laynce Nix as arbitration-eligible players.

If the Reds do have some money to spend, Jocketty said he'd like to find a leadoff man.

We'd like to improve our offense," Jocketty said. "With our pitching, we like our rotation, we like our bullpen. One thing we'd like to improve upon is a leadoff hitter, I don't know that if that's possible or not."

Brandon Phillips and Drew Stubbs led off for the majority of the 2010 season.

If the team doesn't bring back Cabrera, Jocketty said he feels comfortable  with Paul Janish as the team's everyday shortstop. The Reds went into February with the plan of Janish at short last year before signing Cabrera.

Other notes from Jocketty:

• He said the team had talks with an extension for pitcher Bronson Arroyo, but hadn't reached an agreement yet, so the team picked up his option. Jocketty said they'd still like to get a multi-year deal done before 2011. Arroyo told CBSSports.com earlier today that they were working on a three-year deal.

• Sorry Louisville, Aroldis Chapman won't be back in the minors next year.

"He should be ready for the major leagues now," Jocketty said.

Whether he will be a starter or reliever in 2011, only time will tell. Longterm, the Reds believe Chapman will be a starter.

"Right now, when we get to spring training, if he's better suited for the rotation or the bullpen," Jocketty said. "It's very possible he could be back in the bullpen."

The Reds could have a crowded rotation with Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Mike Leake and Travis Wood.

• Jocketty said he talked to the agent for free agent utility man Migeul Cairo on Wednesday about bringing Cairo back to Cincinnati.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.



 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com