Tag:Adrian Gonzalez
Posted on: December 6, 2010 6:20 pm
 

A's and Iwakuma unlikely; Cubs want Pena

Pena News and notes from around the Winter Meetings, courtesy of CBSSports.com's Scott Miller...
  • Miller spoke to A's GM Billy Beane, who says the club has not spoken to pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma in the last 24 hours. The deadline is midnight, so it looks like Iwakuma will have to wait another year to come stateside.
  • Beane also said the club wants to sign someone from a group of DHs on the market. Hideki Matsui is a possibility, and Matsui has indicated he would like to play for Oakland.
  • While the Cubs were indeed talking about Adrian Gonzalez with the Padres, nothing was ever close. The White Sox and Mariners, however, were "in hard" but Boston won out -- obviously.
  • Lastly, the Cubs need a first baseman and some pitching. A source tells Miller it could be either a starter or reliever. Carlos Pena (pictured) would be an ideal solution at first, but his price tag may be too high courtesy of agent Scott Boras, so will adopt a wait and see stance.

-- Evan Brunell

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Posted on: December 6, 2010 12:13 pm
Edited on: December 6, 2010 3:42 pm
 

Adrian Gonzalez requesting eight-year deal

Gonzalez If and when Adrian Gonzalez signs a contract extension with the Red Sox, the first baseman's goal will be to ink a deal for eight years and $161 million, as SI.com 's Jon Heyman reports.

That deal is remarkably similar to the one Mark Teixeira inked to become a Yankee which was for eight years and $180 million. Boston felt they were on the verge of signing Tex two years ago for the deal that Gonzalez is requesting, only for the Yanks to jump in at the last minute.

Padres GM Jed Hoyer, who sent Gonzalez to Boston, was working for the Red Sox at the time and just admitted that it was like a "kick in the stomach" when Teixeira went to New York. That experience, Hoyer believes, influenced the trade for Gonzalez as the Boston Herald says.

The extension for Gonzalez likely will not be complete until spring training or perhaps even into the regular season as that has luxury tax implications. The Red Sox are holding firm to their six-year proposal. Compromise at seven years, anyone?

<b>UPDATE</b> : Wondering who the other teams were that were trying to get Gonzalez? ESPN Boston 's Gordon Edes says both Chicago teams were in the hunt. The Padres rejected the White Sox's offers, so Adam Dunn was signed. The Cubs were unable to pony up anything that matched Boston's players.

<b>UPDATE</b> : Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says the contract extension will not go beyond seven years and $154 million, which is an annual salary of $22 million.

-- Evan Brunell

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Posted on: December 6, 2010 11:47 am
Edited on: December 6, 2010 12:15 pm
 

Padres explain their side

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- With a little less fanfare than in Boston, Padres general manager Jed Hoyer took to the podium at the Winter Meetings to explain their side of the big Adrian Gonzalez trade.

Hoyer said there were three other teams involved in talks, aside from the Red Sox and he didn't want to wait much longer, because "some of the teams were going to go away because they'd sign free agents."

Other highlights from Hoyers' news conference.

• On Heath Bell -- "Heath's going to be our closer in 2011. We had a great bullpen last year and Heath was a large part of our success. This is not the start of a fire sale, this is not us giving up on 2011."

• "Adrian Gonzalez is certainly a franchise player and a guy any team would want. But it became very obvious to us in our meeting with John Boggs that we were not going to be able to keep him long term."

•  "He's going to be unbelievable in Fenway Park, he hit so many balls the other way in Petco Park that just died. ... He's going to be a monster in Fenway Park."

• "We felt like this was the right time to do it, we were able to secure three prospects we like a lot of the future and we're in a position where we need to do that, we need to look for gaining young, controllable players for the Padres."

• "It's a very difficult decision to trade a player like Adrian. It doesn't necessarily feel good, it's something we felt was necessary for the long-term health of the franchise."

• "Boston was clearly the most aggressive team pursuing Adrian, we really liked this package of players. This was the best package we had."

• "There were other trades we could have gotten one major-league players back, but it wouldn't be as deep."

• "Kelly for us [was needed]. It's so hard to find starting pitching. I think he's an excellent fit for PetCo Park. The deal wasn't going to get done without Kelly's inclusion."

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.
Posted on: December 5, 2010 8:36 pm
Edited on: December 5, 2010 8:49 pm
 

Report: Gonzalez deal is done

It was on, and then it was off, and now it's back on again.

A report by Jon Heyman of SI.com says the Red Sox-Padres trade involving Adrian Gonzalez will go through, despite the Red Sox failing to get an extension with him done during a negotiating window set forth by MLB.

Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe says the parameters of the deal are the same as they were had the extension been done. The Padres get Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Rey Fuentes and a player to be named. You can read C. Trent Rosecrans' report looking at those guys here.

The bottom line is that there's no way the Red Sox made this deal without an ironclad assurance Gonzalez is going to sign an extension -- they paid way too much for a one-year rental. Look for a deal to be announced right after opening day, because of the luxury tax and concerns about Gonzalez's surgically-repaired shoulder. Earlier today, i wrote in more specifics about why this scenario, rather than trading for a locked-down player, is actually to Boston's advantage.

-- David Andriesen

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Posted on: December 5, 2010 3:21 pm
Edited on: December 5, 2010 3:47 pm
 

Red Sox-Padres deal for Gonzalez off

According to multiple reports, the proposed trade between the Red Sox and Padres involving All-Star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez has fallen through, as the Red Sox were unable to negotiate a contract extension for Gonzalez prior to today's deadline.

The Red Sox have been said to be unwilling to go through with the deal, which would have cost them a significant package of prospects, without either an extension for Gonzalez or a solid guarantee that he'll sign at a future date. He is slated to become a free agent after 2011.

For now, the deal appears dead, though it could still go through without an extension. As we detailed here, there are reasons that would be advantageous for Boston.

-- David Andriesen

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Posted on: December 5, 2010 1:29 pm
Edited on: December 5, 2010 2:47 pm
 

Red Sox could wait on Gonzalez extension

Adrian Gonzalez There's a widely reported 2 p.m. deadline on talks between the Red Sox and Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, but it's important to point out that the deadline is just something imposed by the commissioner's office, a window for the team and player to negotiate an extension. Teams are not ordinarily allowed to talk contract with a player who belongs to another team, but MLB makes extensions in cases like this by allowing a set negotiating period.

If that deadline passes -- and as of this writing, it's less than an hour away -- it doesn't mean the Red Sox-Padres trade is dead, however. Gonzalez is under contract for 2011, and the Padres have the right to trade him if they want to. Boston was interested in an extension to ensure it wasn't getting a rent-a-player, and the Padres stood to receive more in exchange if Gonzalez was wrapped up long-term.

But there are a couple of reasons the Red Sox might not want to do an extension right now.

For one, Gonzalez is coming off shoulder surgery in October, and while he's expected to make a full recovery, the Red Sox might want to make sure they're not getting damaged goods before committing to a huge contract.

The other big factor is the luxury tax. As of now, he counts as $6.2 million on the payroll of whoever he's with on opening day -- a huge bargain. If he signs an extension, he counts as the average annual value of the contract. If he signs, for instance, an eight-year deal for $160 million, which one report says is his goal, he'd count $20 million on Boston's payroll.

The $13.8 million difference is significant, because if the Red Sox go over the luxury tax threshhold as expected, they'd pay a 22.5 percent tax on it. That's spending $4.95 million for nothing.

If the Red Sox sign Gonzalez to an extension immediately after opening day, which the Red Sox have done several times in the past (notably with Josh Beckett), they don't take that 2011 hit. Of course, that does make the calculated average annual value higher in later years.

But even if a later extension is Boston's plan, the Red Sox would have to have a pretty solid gentleman's agreement that Gonzalez will sign, and not become a free agent after 2011, before shipping top prospects to San Diego.

UPDATE: The deadline has passed, but Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the deadline might be "soft," and MLB could be flexible given the size of the deal. But he's been sold by another source that the deal fell through completely.

-- David Andriesen

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Posted on: December 4, 2010 5:41 pm
Edited on: December 5, 2010 11:24 am
 

Deadline looms for Gonzalez deal

Not so fast on the Adrian Gonzalez deal -- FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal tweets that the negotiating window for Red Sox to complete the deal with Gonzalez expires at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

Still, expect the deal to get done, there's too much on the line now for all parties involved.

UPDATE: The Boston Globe 's Nick Cafardo writes that there is no agreement yet, but both sides are "trying."

UPDATE: Dan Hayes of the North County Times says via Twitter that after negotiating most of the night, the parties are "somewhat at an impasse" and the trade "potentially might not happen." That was with about three hours remaining before the deadline. -- DA

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Posted on: December 4, 2010 1:39 pm
 

Meet your newest Padres

For both Padre fans left, you may be wondering what you're getting in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez.

Well, here's a quick look at the three players known to be going to San Diego:

Casey Kelly RHP Casey Kelly (pictured): The Red Sox first-rounder (30th overall) in 2008 dropped in the draft some because he had signed a scholarship to play quarterback at Tennessee and many thought he wouldn't sign out of high school. Instead, the Red Sox signed him and gave him $3 million, which is a lot more than even Cam Newton could ask for, so Kelly went the baseball way.

Kelly wanted to play shortstop and was given that shot before being moved to the mound in 2009, where the Red Sox projected him the whole time.

Last season, Kelly, 20, pitched for Double-A Portland, going 3-5 with a 5.31 ERA in 21 starts. He struck out 81 and walked 35 in 95 innings. The Red Sox didn't appear worried about his ERA going from 2.08 at Single-A Greenville and Salem in 2009 to his five-plus ERA mark in the Eastern League (and 6.75 ERA in 16 innings in the Arizona Fall League), because his velocity increased to where he was throwing 90-94 with his fastball, touching 96, while he is still growing, too.

Kelly turned 21 in October and stands 6-foot-3, 210 pounds. He has a plus fastball, curveball and changeup, with good command. The other positive was how he handled his struggles at Portland.

Kelly comes from a baseball family, his father, Pat, was a catcher in the big leagues and currently a minor-league manager in the Reds system.

Baseball America ranked Kelly as the top player in the Red Sox system.

1B Anthony Rizzo: The best comp is from Alex Speier of WEEI.com -- 20-year old Adrian Gonzalez at Double-A Portland in 2002: .266/.344/.437, 17 HR, 96 RBI in 138 games. Last year the 20-year old Rizzo played at Portland as well, hitting .263/.334/.481, 20 HR, 80 RBI in 107 games.

Between Class A Salem and Double-AA Portland, Rizzo hit 25 homers and had 100 RBI in 136 games.

Those numbers out of a high-school kid -- Rizzo was a sixth-round pick in 2007 out of Florida -- are impressive enough, but consider what he went through to get there.  When he was at Class A Greenville in 2008, he was diagnosed with limited stage classical Hodkin's lymphoma and missed the rest of that season to get treatment. Since then, he's been cancer-free and obviously regained all his strength.

Rizzo has struggled against left-handers and has a reputation as a good defensive first baseman.

Baseball America ranked Rizzo as the No. 3 player in the Red Sox system.

OF Reymond Fuentes: Fuentes is the cousin of Carlos Beltran, and has drawn comparisons to the former All-Star. Fuentes was just the sixth Puerto Rican ever drafted in the first round of the draft when the Red Sox took him 28th overall in 2009.

In his first full season as a pro, Fuetntes hit .270/.328/.377 at Class A Greenville, hitting five home runs and driving in 41 in 104 games, while stealing 42 bases. He can flat-out fly.

South Atlantic League managers rated him as the best defensive outfielder in the league, according to Baseball America .

Fuentes is still skinny -- listed at 6-feet, 170 pounds -- the left-handed throwing, left-handed hitting outfielder could add some pop with some time. He will turn 20 in February.

Baseball America ranked Fuentes as the No. 6 player in the Red Sox system.

None of the three figure to see PetCo Park in 2011, but Rizzo and Kelly could be ready for 2012.

The Padres will also get a player to be named.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed .


 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com