Posted by Josh Katzowitz
Panthers tight end Ben Hartsock is real thankful for Jeremy Shockey today. That’s because Shockey came to the quick rescue of Hartsock when he began choking while eating lunch at the team facility.
Hartsock was eating pork tenderloin when a piece of the meat got caught in his throat, as the National Football Post recounts. Hartsock drank water to try to dislodge the obstruction, but it soon became clear to teammates that he couldn’t breathe.
“He started to go to the bathroom and I don’t know if he collapsed, but he couldn’t breathe,” agent Mike McCartney told the NFP. “Some new guy came and tried to give him the Heimlich. It didn’t work. Then, Shockey hit him in the back pretty hard and out came the meat. The Panthers told me it was really scary.
“Ben told me, ‘Shockey came over and gave me the Heimlich Maneuver and saved my life.’ He was in good spirits and he’s real thankful for Shockey.”
So, there you go: Jeremy Shockey, hero.
But my favorite part of the story (you know, other than the fact Hartsock is alive and breathing)? It’s what the Panthers repeatedly said to Hartsock at practice afterward: “Don’t choke, Hartsock.” Hopefully it’s a zinger that Hartsock and Shockey can laugh at for a long time.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed<