Tag:Mohamed Massaquoi
Posted on: October 28, 2011 1:08 pm
 

Peyton Hillis probably won't play Sunday

HillisPosted by Josh Katzowitz

Without Peyton Hillis in the lineup last week vs. the Seahawks, Montario Hardesty ran 33 times and gained 95 yards, the best-looking stat line in his career.

But Hardesty is probably better off with some help, especially if it’s from the Madden cover boy, but, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it’s unlikely to come this Sunday.

That’s because it’s looking like Hillis and his balky hamstring probably won’t play vs. San Francisco, making it the second-straight game he won’t be around and the third time in the past five weeks (and that’s not counting his six-carry, 14-yard performance in Week 6).

Hillis was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice, but his hamstring was sore Thursday and prevented him from practicing. Apparently, that soreness has bled into Friday.

In other Cleveland injury news, tight end Ben Watson (concussion) practiced Friday and worked with the starting group, while receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, also coming off a head injury, didn’t practice and probably won’t play.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: November 29, 2010 6:32 pm
Edited on: November 29, 2010 6:33 pm
 

NFL rejects James Harrison's fine appeals

Posted by Will Brinson

Since the NFL started asserting its authority on players who lay big hits on other players, James Harrison has racked up $96,000 in fines, with possibly more coming this week after a roughing the passer call against Buffalo's Ryan Fitzpatrick.

His first instinct told him to retire, but eventually he appealed those fines. And now his appeal has been denied by the NFL.

That's according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, who spoke to Harrison's agent Bill Parise, after the agent received an email from the NFL indicating the rejection.

"They did not reduce it," Parise said. "They said it was multiple occurrences and called it an egregious act -- that's a big word isn't it?"

The fines in question were the $75,000 fine for hitting Mohamed Massaquoi on October 17th (remember the week everyone freaked out and the NFL decided to cleanse the game of concussions?) and a Halloween hit on Drew Brees that cost him $20,000.

There's no real surprise here -- Harrison's style of play has drawn the financial ire of the league and because he's so often been mentioned on the list of players getting fined and/or flagged, it seemed unlikely he'd get any leniency here.

Although you have to imagine he's just thrilled to hear about the fines handed down to Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan for throwing punches with their helmets off after the whistle.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: October 24, 2010 9:40 am
 

Ray Anderson speaks again on illegal hits

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

With so much talk about the new (old?) NFL rules that will be enforced this weekend regarding helmet to helmet hits and humongous fines and possible suspensions, Ray Anderson – the NFL executive vice president of football operations who’s been ALL OVER the place this week – got one last chance to address the issue.

He spoke with the Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Tony Grossi, and he talked about how the officials need to do a better job of penalizing the hits that are illegal. An example, the no-call on Pittsburgh’s James Harrison's hit on Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi that had Harrison contemplating retirement after the league took $75,000 out of his pocket.

"Well, you know what, the world is not perfect,” Anderson told Grossi. “As much as we'd like them to be, neither are our officials. That was a missed call. That was a mistake that has cost the individual and the entire group crew a downgrade in our grading system and it may come back to impact where they end up ranking in terms of playoff assignments and bonuses, and everything else.

"Every play, every individual official, every crew, is evaluated on every play that they officiate. And when you miss one like this, you are held accountable. You are downgraded. And you may end up paying for it. So everybody's accountable to make sure, particularly in this area of safety, that we're doing our jobs. We missed on that one, plain and simple.”

I guess now we’ll probably see the officials erring on the side of throwing the penalty flag, because of the threat of losing their plum assignments and money.

So, what does Anderson expect today after all the discussion about what is and what is not an illegal/finable/suspendable offense (though I think many of us are still confused about that)?

“Our expectations are that players will clearly understand, because they're clearly on notice with regards to what we're looking for in terms of protecting these illegal hits to the head,” Anderson said. “So we're hoping we will have zero of them. Certainly that may not be realistic. But we're hoping we have minimal numbers.

“They should expect that the officials will be at a higher level of attention to any hits up around the neck area that may be a violation of our existing rules, and they will be prepared (to) be aggressive in their enforcement on the field just like we will be aggressive in our enforcement internally here.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Posted on: October 19, 2010 12:26 am
Edited on: October 19, 2010 12:27 am
 

NFL will suspend players for dangerous plays

J. Cribbs sustained a concussion after his hit by Pittsburgh's J. Harrison Posted by Josh Katzowitz

The fallout from the violent hits on Browns WR Joshua Cribbs and WR Mohamed Massaquoi by Pittsburgh’s James Harrison and on Ravens TE Todd Heap by Patriots S Brandon Meriweather continues into today.

Ray Anderson, the NFL’s vice president of football operations told ESPN.com today that the league will start suspending for dangerous hits.

"We can't and won't tolerate what we saw Sunday," Anderson told Chris Mortensen. "We've got to get the message to players that these devastating hits and head shots will be met with a very necessary higher standard of accountability. We have to dispel the notion that you get one free pass in these egregious or flagrant shots.

"What we saw Sunday was disturbing," Anderson said. "We're talking about avoiding life-altering impacts."

In other dangerous hits news, Harrison didn’t show much contrition for the two hits. The league reviewed the Cribbs hit and determined it wasn’t an illegal hit (really, it almost seemed incidental. Sort of). I imagine the Massaquoi hit won’t be deemed a legal shot.

"I'm not worried about getting fined on that. Not at all," Harrison told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "If I get fined on that, it's got to be a travesty. They didn't call (penalties on the plays). There's no way I can be fined."

I think “no way I can be fined” is a little strong. I think he’ll definitely be fined for the Massaquoi hit, and honestly, I think he should be. 

And if you’re a Steelers official, you have to cringe when you read something like this.

"I don't want to injure anybody," Harrison said. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people.

"I thought Cribbs was asleep. A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he's just sleeping. He's knocked out but he's going to be OK."

As for Meriweather, he was apologetic, but he didn’t regret the aggressiveness of the play.

I was playing aggressive and something happened,” Meriweather told WEII radio, via the Boston Herald. “I’m going to be aggressive. Point blank. I won’t change my game, period. I’m sorry it happened.”

Hey, at least he apologized for the result. Harrison thinks everything is right with the world. Until the NFL reaches into his wallet, of course. Or until he's suspended the next time.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .
Posted on: August 21, 2010 7:01 pm
 

What will (and won't) happen tonight

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

Some quick thoughts and Tweets before the 11-game slate of preseason games begin tonight.

-Ben Roethlisberger will start and play maybe two series tonight for the Steelers. Then, it’ll be Byron Leftwich and then Dennis Dixon.

Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi will not play tonight. Josh Cribbs will take his place in the starting lineup.

The Giants could be without RB Brandon Jacobs, who has a stiff neck. The NY Daily News also reports Jacobs is not dressed for the game.

Instead of starting RB Clinton Portis, Washington will give Larry Johnson a shot at taking first-team snaps .

There could be a delay of game in the 7:30 p.m. Jaguars-Dolphins game. According to Armando Salguero , “Stadium officials told fans at EverBack Field to go to the concourses because of a lightning alert. Stadium seems empty. Teams not on field.”

And one to grow on for Sunday:

Brett Favre – I’m not sure if you’ve heard of him – will start and play maybe 10 snaps Sunday vs. San Francisco,

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .



Posted on: August 14, 2010 8:44 pm
 

Jake Delhomme looks quite sharp for Browns early

Posted by Will Brinson

Jake Delhomme's been a running joke for interception funny-makers ever since his playoff meltdown against the Cardinals in 2008. The level of attention his failures received only increased when he joined the Cleveland Browns, an organization not exactly associated with success.

Throw the "Come on, it's the preseason!" flags at me all you want, but he looked really sharp on the Browns' first possession against the Packers Saturday night, going 6/7 for 66 yards as the Browns marched down the field before Jerome Harrison punched the ball in for Cleveland's first touchdown of 2010.

Delhomme's only incompletion was a pass intended for Brian Robiskie -- and it was only incomplete because Nick Collins made a very nice play on it. Otherwise, Delhomme spread the ball around, hitting Evan Moore and Mohamed Massaquoi twice each.

He worked once out of the gun and once out of an empty-back set (on fourth down no less) and generally looked as comfortable as he did during his heyday with the Panthers.

That's not to say that Carolina should immediately regret their decision, but based on (very) early returns, it seems like Cleveland won't regret theirs. At the very least, he's an upgrade over the Derek Anderson - Brady Quinn debacle that was 2009.


Posted on: August 4, 2010 1:19 pm
 

Engram looking to impact the Browns

Browns WR Bobby Engram, at 37 years old, is only two years younger than coach Eric Mangini. But to Cleveland president Mike Holmgren, Engram’s age doesn’t matter. All that matters is what he can bring to the team.

Which is what exactly? How much can a guy like Engram – who’s been a solid receiver for much of his career but who was cut by the disastrous Chiefs last year – really help a Browns unit in desperate need of some offense?

Which also leads to this question: how much can newly-signed QB Jake Delhomme help (but that’s an aside for another day)? For now, Holmgren seems confident in his newest WR.

"He's a special man,” Holmgren told the Cleveland Plain Dealer . “He's one of those rare guys that you want other players, particularly young players, to be around. He's played a long time but he kept in great shape. He's an amazing guy, physically, that way."

Holmgren should know. After all, they worked together in Seattle (it should be noted that Engram is only three seasons removed from a career-year of 94 catches, 1,147 yards and six touchdowns while playing for the Seahawks).

Engram, though, isn’t a lock to make the team. Josh Cribbs is the most-talented player on the team not named Joe Thomas, and Cleveland likes young receivers Chansi Stuckey, Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie. But all Engram wanted was a chance.

"I've got my work cut out for me," Engram told the paper. "They've got some talented young guys. I think the competition only makes you better. At end of the day, they will make the decision on what's best for the Browns."

--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .




Posted on: July 8, 2010 5:35 pm
 

Browns sign 37-year-old Engram

Making a move to shore up a thin WR corps, the Browns announced today they’ve signed former Bears/Seahawks WR Bobby Engram.

This will be the 37-year-old’s 14th season, and after the Chiefs released him in the middle of last season, his career seemed to be over.

He’s still considered a decent enough possession receiver, but if Cleveland - which boasts Mohamed Massaquoi (only 34 receptions) as the leading returning WR from last season and which will need more help from Chansi Stuckey and Brian Robiskie - counts on him for more, that doesn’t bode well for the Browns.

How much Engram can help has yet to be determined, but the fact Kansas City booted him after he caught just five passes for 51 yards in five games isn’t a great sign.


--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter.



 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com