Tag:2011 NFL Free Agency
Posted on: July 26, 2011 7:45 pm
Edited on: July 26, 2011 9:36 pm
 

Would the Giants really welcome back Plaxico?

BurressPosted by Josh Katzowitz

If you would have asked free agent WR Plaxico Burress the chances he would return to play for his old team, the Giants, after his stint in prison, he probably wouldn’t have been real confident.

The Eagles seemed interested in him (Michael Vick said something about how you can never have enough weapons), and though Burress apparently was eyeing the Bears, Chicago made it pretty clear the interest wasn’t mutual (psst, Burress also said the the Jets would be appealing to him).

But remember when Eli Manning said he would rather have Burress on his team instead of former Giants RB Tiki Barber? Maybe, Manning had a little bit of inside knowledge, because according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Giants are in contention to bring him back to New York.

With the Giants, Burress probably wouldn’t be counted as on a top-line target. At the age of (almost) 34 and having not played since the 2008 season, nobody is sure how much football talent Burress has left in his body. Plus, Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham are locked in as starters.

But Burress could add to the depth of New York’s WR corps, and if the Giants expect him as a third or fourth WR, that might make some sense.



Of course, Burress said this recently about coach Tom Coughlin: “My situation in New York, me and my coach, had an ambivalent relationship to say the least. Some things that I didn't agree with, with the way he went about things. And the only way to show my way was to just rebel. Is that who I am? No."

So, um, maybe the Giants and Burress wouldn’t be a great fit after all.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 26, 2011 7:12 pm
Edited on: July 26, 2011 7:17 pm
 

Excited Ravens re-sign Marshall Yanda

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

After the Ravens re-signed OL Marshal Yanda on Tuesday, Baltimore coach John Harbaugh could hardly contain his excitement.

“We got Marshall Yanda! That’s great news,” Harbaugh said, via the Ravens official site.

“He told us he wanted to be a Raven and he understood the business part that he had to go through. I’m beaming, you see Ozzie smile and is there anyone more excited than [offensive line coach] Andy Moeller right now? We’re a better team than we were one hour ago.”

It wasn’t cheap, though. According to Ravens Insider Aaron Wilson, the contract is somewhere in the five-year, $32 million range.

Yanda was a huge part of the team last season, moving to RT in place of injured Jared Gaither and starting 16 games, and with Yanda, Gaither, Chris Chester and Tony Moll all Ravens OL in unrestricted free agency, the signing obviously is a huge sigh of relief for Baltimore.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.

Posted on: July 26, 2011 6:32 pm
 

Report: Santana Moss agrees to $15 million deal

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

He’s losing last year’s starting quarterback (possibly to Minnesota), and for now, he’ll take passes from either John Beck or Rex Grossman. Yet, Redskins WR Santana Moss has to be happy with his current situation.

MossThat’s because, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter writes, Moss has reached an agreement on a three-year deal worth $15 million with a $5 million signing bonus and $6 million guaranteed.

Moss had a strong season last year, catching 93 passes, but as CBSSports.com’s Pete Prisco pointed out in his top-50 free agents piece (Moss was No. 47), he really isn’t a No. 1 WR anymore.

Moss, considering he finished third in the league in receptions last year, might disagree with that assessment.

And now he has a pretty rich contract to prove his point.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.

Posted on: July 26, 2011 5:57 pm
Edited on: July 26, 2011 6:59 pm
 

Panthers, DE Johnson agree to $76M deal

Posted by Will Brinson

The Panthers are the surprising first big movers of the 2011 offseason, as they have dropped an absolute bombshell of a $76-million contract on free-agent defensive end Charles Johnson.

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk first reported the news that Johnson's contract with the Panthers (which, again, is for $76 million) includes a $30 million signing bonus and $32 million in guaranteed money.

According to Steve Reed of the Gaston Gazette, multiple members of the Panthers coaching staff and front office, including GM Marty Hurney and head coach Ron Rivera, traveled to Miami to convince Johnson to sign with Carolina.

"I'm so excited," Johnson said. "I'm ready to get back to football."

Johnson, who broke out in a big way last season with 11.5 sacks, was listed as CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco's No. 2-overall free agent in this year's class and considered the Panthers' top priority this offseason. He was also considered a prime target for the division-rival Falcons, and his family wanted him to sign with Atlanta but, per Reed, he was "blown away" by Carolina's offer.

"Could you have turned it down?" Johnson said.

The initial reaction to that question is clearly "no" and the response to the deal is probably "WHAT?" -- but it's actually not that insane. No, seriously, hear me out.

See, the Panthers defensive line is flat-out terrible. They also play six of their 16 annual games against Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Josh Freeman. None of those guys are going anywhere anytime soon and if the Panthers wanted a chance in the division, re-upping the one guy on the roster who can pressure the quarterback was essential.

Additionally, the money is a big old chunk of change but consider that last year, the Bears paid a 31-year-old Julius Peppers more than $90 million over the life of a six-year deal.

Johnson, by the time he finishes up his deal, will be that same age. And though he might not equate to "Peppers in his prime," the money spent on Johnson will be well worth it if he can come close to his production in 2010 over the course of the deal.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 26, 2011 4:59 pm
Edited on: July 26, 2011 5:08 pm
 

Hasselbeck out, Tarvaris in for Seahawks

Posted by Will Brinson

Matt Hasselbeck's long been the face of the Seattle Seahawks franchise, but he won't be there in 2011 and it appears as if Tarvaris Jackson will be charged with filling his shoes. (Although, if you're a true Eye on Football devotee, this isn't that big of a surprise.)

That's according to several different reports out of the Seattle area, beginning with Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times, who first reported that the Seahawks would not re-sign Hasselbeck for the 2011 season.

O'Neil also reported shortly thereafter that the Seahawks had "acquired another quarterback" though he didn't immediately confirm that it was Jackson. Dave Mahler of 950 KJR in Seattle (via Brian McIntyre) did report that Jackson had agreed to terms, and O'Neil's since confirmed that news.

So, what that means is that the Seahawks, who struggled mightily on offense in 2010, now head into the new year with Charlie Whitehurst and Jackson as their primary options to get the team back in the playoffs, barring some shocker of a trade in the near future.

It's an odd move, but it's also indicative of the fact that the Seahawks weren't willing to give up whatever draft pick and/or player was necessary in order to acquire Kevin Kolb or Kyle Orton.

Or that Pete Carroll feels like he can help Jackson despite a previous record of mediocrity. Which, now that I think about it, sounds a lot like the other guy on the roster, Whitehurst.

There is some chatter, however, that Jackson's signing is part of a duel package-thing designed to land Sidney Rice, since both former Vikings played under current Seattle OC Darrell Bevell who wasn't retained when Leslie Frazier took over team as the full-time head coach.

Whether the Seahawks can sign Rice and then whether they can improve upon their -- ahem -- success in Minnesota remains to be seen.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 26, 2011 3:47 pm
Edited on: July 26, 2011 3:51 pm
 

Cowboys to cut Williams, Colombo, Barber, Davis

Posted by Will Brinson

Yesterday, the Baltimore Ravens drew a ton of attention by slashing prices cutting a slew of veterans including Derrick Mason and Todd Heap. Tuesday, it was the Cowboys turn, as reports started flying that Dallas had cut wide receiver Roy Wiliams, offensive linemen Marc Colombo and Leonard Davis, kicker Kris Brown and running back Marion Barber.

None of the cuts were that surprising, particularly Barber and Williams, who seemed like likely targets to be cut when colleague Ryan Wilson wrote about the very subject just a few weeks ago.

Williams (who, by the way, just got some bling back after the most notorious mailed-wedding-ring incident of the entire offseason) makes sense as a roster expense, particularly because now the Cowboys will simply start Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, both of whom are better than Williams anyway.

Cowboys Offseason
And Barber's become the least effective back in Dallas' stable; even though Barber had more carries than Tashard Choice last season (113 to 66), he still on managed a feeble 3.3 yards per carry and an unimpressive 28.8 yards per game. Additionally, he found the end zone just four times.

The combination of just Barber and Williams will save the Cowboys nearly $10 million in terms of salary cap number, and it's become pretty clear -- based on all these cuts -- that they are in fact players in the Nnamdi Asomugha market this offseason.

Whether or not they land the coveted cornerback, though, they've probably made a slew of good roster decisions anyway.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 26, 2011 2:47 pm
Edited on: July 26, 2011 3:00 pm
 

Brady v. NFL settled in Minnesota District Court

Posted by Will Brinson

The Brady v. NFL lawsuit has been settled, according to court documents filed by the Minnesota District Court.
NFL Labor

Settlement of the antitrust lawsuit filed by various NFL players is the second step to getting football back in 2011 -- now all that remains is recertification of the players as a union and the collective bargaining of the various remaining issues.

The court was advised of settlement in the matter via a telephone conference that took place on Tuesday morning and featured various attorneys for the respective sides.

Yes, this may explain why a certain couple of players -- Logan Mankins and Vincent Jackson -- decided to sign their tenders and head into camp.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 26, 2011 2:24 pm
 

Mankins, Jackson to sign tenders, report on time?

Posted by Will Brinson



Remember Logan Mankins and Vincent Jackson? Yeah, you probably do -- they held out for a long time in 2010 and then were involved in this little Brady v. NFL lawsuit that nearly caused us to lose football in 2011.

Here's some good news then: Mankins and Jackson will both, reportedly, show up and sign their respective tenders and join their respective camps on time.

Per Scott Bair of the North County Times, Jackson will sign his franchise tag on Friday. Adam Schefter of ESPN initially reported that Mankins would report and put his ink the Patriots tender.

Mankins will make $10.73 million this year, while Jackson will receive $11.93 million.

Both players are eligible for a long-term extension from their respective teams, though such a deal would need to be in place by 4:00 p.m. ET on September 20, according to the new league rules.

In other words, we'll find out quickly just how much of a relationship is remaining between the two named plaintiffs and their respective front offices.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com