Posted by EOB Staff
Saturday, December 10, 2011On a shortened schedule with the conclusion of the NBA lockout, free agency is going to be fast and furious. To keep track of all the wheelings, dealings, rumors, and reports, check Eye on Basketball daily for the Free Agency Buzz.
7:37 p.m. ET
- Magic general manager Otis Smith said the team is close with re-signing Jason Richardson and could have a deal finalized by Monday. Yahoo Sports reports the deal is done and it's four-year, $25 million deal.
- The Knicks will trade Ronny Turiaf to the Wizards to make room for Tyson Chandler. The Washington Post reports the Wizards will also receive some cash.
- The Pacers told James Posey not to show up for training camp. "He's not going to be with us," head coach Frank Vogel said. "We're going to make a decision what to do with James at a later date, but he's not going to be in camp." Posey is on the books for $7.5 million next season. The Pacers won't be using the amnesty on him, but can buy him out or trade him.
- The Bulls sent out a press release saying they are evaluating the situation with Keith Bogans and he won't be in camp until then. I think the better way to take that is, Chicago is looking for a new shooting guard and wants to see what happens first.
- The Knicks used their amnesty clause on Chauncey Billups, meaning he'll be sent to the waiver wire. Billups was owed $14.2 million next season and the funny part is, the Knicks picked up his option right before the lockout started. Good move!
- The Celtics have signed Jeff Green to a one-year deal for $9 million. What are the Celtics doing? Hedging their bets. They need wing depth and scoring for next season but will also leave open their options in free agency for 2012.
- CSN Bay Area reports that the Nuggets have offered a four-year, $19 million offer sheet to Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, a restricted free agent for Milwaukee. Milwaukee might match, depending on their contract situation, but if Denver pulls it off, that's a great quality signing.
- Steinmetz also reports Brandan Wright gets a two-year, sub-$2 mil deal from the Mavericks. We'll see if he sticks this time. Between he and Corey Brewer, two guys with talent drafted in terrible situations and kicked around by coaches.
- Utah has reportedly made a "firm offer" for Josh Howard. That idea makes zero sense whatsoever, given the Jazz' situation in terms of roster, salary, and future.
- The Mavericks are planning on using the trade exception they nabbed from the Tyson Chandler Knicks sign-and-trade to swing it to Sacramento, in exhange for a sign-and-trade for Samuel Dalembert. ESPN reports the idea is to make a huge one-year offer for Dalembert, which allows them to contend this year with a decent Chandler replacement for one year, then have room to make a splash in the big 2012 free agency... if there are any free agents left by that point.