Posted on: December 30, 2010 11:51 am
Posted by Royce Young
After trading one of the best backup centers a team could ask for in Marcin Gortat, the Magic have been looking for a little help at that spot since. They aren't necessarily in the market for a player the caliber of Gortat because they have, you know, Dwight Howard, but they want someone so Howard can at least take a breath during a game.
There was a report that Orlando had inquired about New York's Ronny Turiaf and Philadelphia's Tony Battie, but so far no good on those fronts. A report from HoopsWorld has two other names -- Nazr Mohammed of the Bobcats and Jamaal Magloire of the Heat -- but again, no luck advancing those talks either right now.
The report says that there was at least a "passing dialogue" concerning a Jason Williams for Magloire trade, but the Heat didn't seem that receptive. And that's with the Magic throwing in a second-round pick. I know, what a deal, huh? I can't believe the Heat didn't jump at that one.
The Magic are extremely active right now trying to make a move for a backup big man, but it's clear they don't have the right pieces to trade to get the level of player they want. Williams is an option as well as Quentin Richardson or Chris Duhon, but teams are likely going to be more interested in J.J. Redick.
Orlando isn't to the point of desperation yet, because I mean, they do have Dwight Howard but the Magic need help. What if Howard gets injured? Or gets in foul trouble? Or gets suspended for picking up too many technicals? Otis Smith wants that depth and he should. But it's becoming obvious that he's going to have to lose the trade to get it.
Any time you're the team that clearly needs help, someone like Jason Williams just isn't enough when the the other guy knows there are better options to ask for. Duhon, Richardson and even Redick are pretty good pieces. But is one of them worth a Nazr Mohammed? That's the question Smith is asking himself right now.
Posted on: July 22, 2010 9:24 am
Edited on: July 22, 2010 12:40 pm
This entry has been removed by the administrator.
This message has been removed by the administrator.
Posted on: July 18, 2010 4:42 pm
Edited on: July 18, 2010 4:46 pm
Posted by Royce Young
Miami bought out the final three seasons of Jones' contract June 30, but he told the Herald he believed there was a possibility he would return.
Jones will earn the $1 million veteran's minimum this season, combined with the $1.5 million buyout sum he is owed for the upcoming season. Not a horrible deal for Jones. Also, reportedly, Jones passed up more money elsewhere. San Antonio was reportedly looking to give him part of its $6 million mid-level exception. But he turned it down to stay in Miami. Ah, the siren song of the new-look Heat.
Why? Jones gives his reasoning:
"I still feel I have unfinished business here," Jones told the paper. "The opportunity to win a championship was too much to pass up. Hopefully, the minutes will be there and I will make teams pay."
Jones, 29, is a situational shooter by trade. He shot 41 percent from 3 last season and in seven seasons he's a career 39.5 percent shooter from distance. Obviously a ton of minutes won't be available for him playing behind Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Mike Miller, but as a specialist off the bench, he'll definitely have value for the Heat. In the report, it's noted Jones understands that is just looking for a spot to contribute.With Jones, center Jamaal Magloire and point guard Carlos Arroyo all expected re-sign with Miami, the Heat will have 13 players under contract, making them a legal NBA team. That group includes Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, rookie Dexter Pittman, Joel Anthony and Mario Chalmers. Free agent Juwan Howard is also expected to sign. Not a bad looking roster by any means. Especially for a group that had two players under contract just over a week ago.