Posted on: December 14, 2010 11:35 am
Edited on: December 14, 2010 11:38 am
Posted by Chip Patterson
Just when the NCAA decided to make an announcement regarding a violations-related rule change they made in September, wouldn't you know that a high-profile program is looking into some potential secondary violations. Of course, because that is just the way these things go. Arkansas is currently looking into the situation that led to a photo being taken of several Razorbacks prospects on their official visit this past weekend. The photo could serve as hard evidence that the program is guilty of secondary recruiting violations.
NCAA bylaw 184.108.40.206 specifically stipulates schools “may not permit a prospective student-athlete to engage in any game-day simulations … during an official visit.” In addition, the bylaw says “personalized recruiting aids include any decorative items and special additions to any location the prospective student-athlete will visit (e.g. hotel room, locker room, coach’s office, conference room, arena) regardless of whether the items include the prospective student-athlete’s name or picture.”
As you can see by the photo, ten prospects are wearing Arkansas game jerseys in the locker room. While it is not known if the ten jerseys are personalized, you can see the names of five prospects up above the lockers. Arkansas reportedly received two verbal commitments from the official visits this weekend, linebacker Tyler Gilbert and safety/linebacker Rohan Gaines. Gilbert can be seen in the photo wearing #56 and T. Gilbert is posted on the locker behind him.
If Arkansas does determine that NCAA rules were broken, the violations would be secondary and not effect the eligibility of the player. But thanks to the new provisions regarding secondary violations, coaches are now held personally accountable - and could face suspension. According to the NCAA report, the suspension could be "one or more" games, but it all depends on the circumstance. Head coach Bobby Petrino, recently awarded with a lucrative new deal from Arkansas, is likely not worried about being docked one game's worth of pay - if it even comes to that. (Photo credit: Arkansas News Bureau)
Posted on: October 19, 2010 5:13 pm
Edited on: October 19, 2010 5:19 pm
Posted by Jerry Hinnen
If you watched Auburn 's mad, mad, mad, mad 65-43 win over Arkansas Saturday, you know that SEC replay officials upheld a pair of highly questionable calls that both resulted in Tiger touchdowns: one, an apparent Mario Fannin fumble at the Razorback goal line that had been ruled to have crossed the plane of the goal, and two, a Broderick Green fumble that may have occurred after his knee was down and was returned by Auburn's Zac Etheridge for a backbreaking fourth-quarter score.
So, if you also have some tiny inkling of human nature and the nature of college football fans in the SEC in particular, you have an idea of what's coming next: all manner of rage, invective, and mockery directed in the officials-in-question's direction. The Razorback powers-that-be wasted no time in registering their complaints to the league :
Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long said Monday in a release the school is petitioning the Southeastern Conference concerning “several officiating calls and review decisions” made Saturday in a 65-43 loss at Auburn ...Translation: Dude, we are so freaking ticked off right now, you have no idea . But of course, Hog fans aren't bound to follow any rules of "decorum" in getting their gripe on, and if you're as enterprising as Fayetteville's McDonald Eye Associates , you can even score some sweet free publicity in the process :
Fayetteville-based McDonald Eye Associates is taking it upon itself to make sure Arkansas doesn’t have any more questionable officiating. The company said in a release Tuesday it will offer free laser vision surgery to any on-field or replay booth official from Saturday’s Arkansas-Auburn game ...There's really only three words to type in response, right? Well Played, Sirs .
Posted on: October 19, 2010 10:40 am
Edited on: October 19, 2010 10:44 am
Posted by Chip Patterson
Ask any Arkansas fan, Ryan Mallett was sorely missed on the field in the second half of the Razorbacks 65-43 loss to Auburn on Saturday. When Mallett went down after a blow to the head in the second quarter, backup quarterback Tyler Wilson did his best impression of the Razorbacks starter for as long as he could. Wilson threw for 332 yards and four touchdowns in just over two quarters of work, but two interceptions in the fourth quarter helped the Tigers pull away late. The good news for Razorbacks fans is head coach Bobby Petrino seems to think Mallett will be back this week, perhaps as soon as Tuesday.
“Yesterday he was asymptomatic,” Petrino said Monday at his weekly press conference. “He’ll go through series of tests today, this afternoon. Best-case scenario, he comes out and practices tomorrow, but I don’t know that yet. He has no headaches and he has no symptoms from the concussion. So that’s very, very positive.”
Petrino will prepare Wilson for Saturday's match up with Ole Miss, but all signs seem to point to Mallett taking the field.