Posted by Adam Jacobi
Word came from Tucson earlier this week that a cornerback named Shaquille Richardson was making his first start of his Arizona career this weekend. Naturally, we're skeptical about this news. We're under the impression that there is literally only one person in the world named Shaquille, and, well, this sounds exactly like something he'd do.
So the question is this: Is Shaquille Richardson actually Shaquille O'Neal? Take a look at this picture from last week's game (which may have been slightly edited) and judge for yourself:
Several aspects of this picture raised red flags:
1) It's commendable that Shaq found a college jersey, since it'd be a dead giveaway if he showed up in his Celtics uniform. But the problem here is that it's a basketball uniform, and LSU is not Arizona. Big clue there that something's up.
2) He's very far out of position to make a play, indicating that he is not performing his duties as a cornerback at a starter's level. Shaquille is probably just filming a segment for Shaq Vs. or something.
3) 7'1", 320 is far too big for a defensive back.
4) He's dunking a basketball. Where did he get a basketball and a hoop to dunk on? Those aren't on a regulation football field, as far as we know.
5) This is definitely not photoshopped in any way.
Again, this is up for people to judge for themselves, but we're pretty sure "Shaquille Richardson" is nothing more than a lazy pseudonym, and we're going to see "The Big Cactus" make his return to the state of Arizona this week. Seems pretty selfish of him to insert himself into a college football game like this.
Disclaimer: the CBS College Football Blog staff performed no actual research in preparing this article, and none of it should be construed as factual.