Posted on: June 4, 2011 12:15 pm
Edited on: June 4, 2011 12:18 pm
Posted by Chip Patterson
With every NCAA investigation there are different pivotal steps in the process, one of the most relevant in regards to possible punishments is the notice of allegations. According to a report on InsideCarolina.com, the NCAA has told UNC officials to expect a notice of allegations "on or around June 10" as a result from the investigation into improper benefits and academic misconduct within the football program.
The report cites sources who believe that the notice of allegations will highlight nine different infractions, mostly stemming from previous relationships with assistant coach John Blake, tutor Jennifer Wiley, and former player Chris Hawkins. The loss of scholarships and probation is expected, and some close to the program believe forfeiting wins is a possibility. It is widely assumed at this point that North Carolina will avoid the "lack of institutional control" charge.
Keep it here at the Eye on College Football for more on this story as it develops.
Posted on: May 9, 2011 3:53 pm
Edited on: May 9, 2011 4:02 pm
Posted by Chip Patterson
North Carolina redshirt freshman Jared McAdoo has been dismissed from the football team for a violation of team rules, according to a university release. McAdoo was one of four players the school announced were leaving the team for various reasons, along with linebacker Herman Davidson, linebacker Shane Mularkey, and defensive back Brandon Felder (no relation to our friend Michael Felder of InTheBleachers.net).
McAdoo played in 12 games in 2010, collecting 19 total tackles as a redshirt freshman. He was likely going to play a prominent role in the defensive tackle rotation next season, adding to an already talented line anchored by Quintin Coples and Donte Paige-Moss. The team rule was not specified, but the dismissal is likely a result of several off-field incidents - the most recent of which being a misdemeanor weapons on campus charge.
Brandon Felder and Herman Davidson have decided to transfer from Chapel Hill. Davidson entered spring practice as a starter on the two-deep, but fell out of favor with the staff by the end of the spring game. Felder was not excited about leaving, but is doing so because of family issues. He redshirted in 2010 and had hoped to earn some playing time in a secondary looking to replace Kendric Burney, Deuntae Williams, and Da'Norris Searcy.
"Brendon's family is going through some tough times," said head coach Butch Davis. "His grandmother is sick and he wanted to be closer to the family for support. I wish nothing but thebest for Brendon and his family as they deal with this situation."
Shane Mularkey decided to leave the team and conclude his career after undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery in 2010. His time at North Carolina has been plagued by injuries.
Posted on: October 20, 2010 5:47 pm
Edited on: October 20, 2010 5:49 pm
Posted by Tom Fornelli
You're a good man, Charles Brown, but you won't be playing football for North Carolina this year. That's according to a release from the school on Wednesday saying that Brown, who hasn't played at all this season after starting 13 games last year, will miss the remainder of the season thanks to that NCAA investigation.
Brown's teammate and fellow cornerback, senior Kendric Burney, won't be out for the rest of the season, but he won't be back in time for Saturday's game against Miami either. Burney, like Brown and seemingly 500 other North Carolina players, has been held out due to an NCAA suspension thanks to the ongoing investigation. He was originally expected back from suspension this week, but according to the school, an ongoing review of his status is yet to be resolved.
I tell you, basketball season can't get here soon enough for folks in Chapel Hill.
Posted on: September 30, 2010 4:21 pm
Edited on: September 30, 2010 4:37 pm
Posted by Chip Patterson
Until Thursday afternoon, the North Carolina athletic department had not had a very good day. It began late Wednesday night, when a Yahoo! Sports report traced a paper-trail that linked NFL agent Gary Wichard to recently resigned assistant coach John Blake and Marvin Austin. Then on Thursday, highly touted basketball recruit Austin Rivers cancelled his final visits with North Carolina and Kansas, verbally committing to Duke.
But there was some good news from Chapel Hill on Thursday, with the Tar Heels learning that senior safety Da'Norris Searcy had been cleared by the NCAA and will be on the field Saturday when the Tar Heels host the East Carolina Pirates.
Searcy was one of ten players still waiting for a verdict on their eligibility due to the ongoing investigations into academics and improper contact with agents. Fellow defensive backs Deunta Williams (four games) and Kendric Burney (six games) received suspensions, but are appealing them on Friday.
While North Carolina has been competitive through the first three games of the season, the secondary has been sorely missed. Losing all four starters put inexperienced defensive backs on the first team defense earlier than head coach Butch Davis had hoped, which led to holes in the special teams which needed to be filled by potential redshirts.
North Carolina's appeal on Friday will be for shorter suspensions for Williams and Burney. As it stands, Williams will be back on the field October 9 against Clemson, while Burney will be out until October 23 against Miami.
Posted on: September 22, 2010 4:28 pm
Edited on: September 22, 2010 6:02 pm
Posted by Chip Patterson
North Carolina defensive backs Kendric Burney and Deunta Williams are the first Tar Heels to officially receive punishment from the NCAA regarding improper benefits from agents. They are two of the 12 players who have missed the first two games of the season already, and in addition to missing more they will both have to repay the value of their contributions.
via University of North Carolina release:
Burney, who received $1,333 in benefits, must miss six games and make repayment of $575.19 to a charity of his choice. Williams, who received $1,426 in benefits, must miss four games and make repayment of $450.67 to a charity of his choice. Both student-athletes already have sat out two games.
"We plan to appeal the length of the suspensions," says Dick Baddour, North Carolina Director of Athletics. "While I respect the NCAA process, I believe the penalties to be unduly harsh given the individual circumstances in these cases."
The university declared both student-athletes ineligible for violations of NCAA agent benefits and preferential treatment rules. According to the facts of the case submitted by the university, these benefits in part included trips to California, Atlanta and Las Vegas for Burney and two trips to California for Williams. The majority of the benefits Burney received were from an individual who meets the NCAA definition of an agent.The good news for Williams and Burney, both preseason all-conference selections, is that they will get to see the field this season. Hopefully, it will be in time to make a difference for the 0-2 Tar Heels. North Carolina has been completely depleted in the secondary, with all four original starters being in the group of players held out of games.
Athletic director Dick Baddour did admit that there would be suspensions, and they would be announced on a case by case basis. The announcement of Burney and Williams may mean that we could be seeing more (or even the remaining) punishments handed down in the coming weeks.
Unless the length of the suspensions are successfully appealed, Williams' first game back in uniform will be October 9 when the Tar Heels host Clemson and Burney's will be October 23 at No. 19 Miami (FL) .