Posted by Tom Fornelli
In February, Oklahoma had to give its players a week off from training after self-reporting violations committed by the school's coaching staff when four assistants improperly questioned players about their lack of workouts. It was a minor violation, and not one that brought a lot of trouble to the program, but there had been some speculation that defensive back Marcus Trice was the player who gave Oklahoma's compliance department a recording of defensive backs coach Willie Martinez.
It's an accusation that Trice denies, though this bit of news won't help quell the conspiracy theories. Oklahoma announced on Friday that Trice would be transferring.
“It was my dream school,” Trice told the Tulsa World. “I pretty much always wanted to come to OU since I was little. I fulfilled my dream to play here at the University of Oklahoma, and I got to play early. Right now, I’m just looking to get on the field and play somewhere.”
“Marcus is looking for another opportunity and we’ll do everything we can to help him find a good situation,” Bob Stoops said in a press release. “Marcus has worked hard here and will leave with our best wishes.”
As for the tape of Willie Martinez, Trice said he didn't do it “but I don’t and won’t throw anyone else under the bus.”
As for where he'll end up, Trice says he'll take a look at Tulsa, which was one of his finalists before he decided to attend Oklahoma.