Posted by Bryan Fischer
Former Miami running back Storm Johnson has decided to take his talents from South Beach and transfer to UCF, multiple outlets reported Friday night. The talented back toured campus in Orlando earlier in the day and felt comfortable enough to commit shortly thereafter.
"Yes sir, Storm committed today and he will start classes on the 22nd," Wesley Johnson, Storm's father, told The Orlando Sentinel. "It actually feels quite good just to get the pressure off and be able to resume his college career. He starts off with a clean slate. Coach [George] O'Leary met with us today and coach felt good about [Storm] and Storm felt good about being there."
The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Johnson was third on Miami's depth chart following spring practices and with a new coaching staff, felt it was best to move on to a better situation. A Georgia-native, he was restricted as to where he would be able to transfer to by Hurricanes' head coach Al Golden and many thought UCF and USF were the favorites to land him.
Johnson rushed for 119 yards on nine carries last season as a freshman and was also featured as a kick returner on special teams. He was a big part of Miami's recruiting class of 2010 and was an Under Armour All-American coming out of Loganville (Ga.) High School. All three of the Knights current running backs will be upperclassmen this year and the situation should allow for Johnson to be a featured part of the offense when he becomes eligible in 2012 after sitting out a season.
"UCF is on an upward swing and doing some great things and we just hope Storm can help them out," the elder Johnson told the paper. "We just thank Coach O'Leary a lot for his diligence and his understanding of some things that have happened. He understands Storm is 18 years old and things happen."
Once he is allowed to play next year, Johnson will be a redshirt sophomore and have three years of eligibility left following his transfer.