Tag:Transfers
Posted on: May 18, 2011 1:56 pm
Edited on: May 18, 2011 1:57 pm
 

Zach Brown leaving Wisconsin

Posted by Tom Fornelli

In the 2010 season the Wisconsin Badgers had three running backs with more than 996 yards and 14 touchdowns. That's what happens when you play the brand of "American Football" that Bret Bielema prefers. The Badgers also had a fourth running back on the sidelines in Zach Brown who decided to redshirt during his senior year since it seemed apparent to him that he wouldn't be getting many carries in 2010. Well, now it seems Brown feels he won't be getting many carries behind returning backs Montee Ball and James White in 2011, either, as Brown has decided to transfer.

Bret Bielema made the announcement on Tuesday.

This is a move that could work out well for both sides. Since Brown is on schedule to graduate in August it's possible that he won't have to sit out a season before playing again elsewhere. In his first three seasons in Madison, Brown rushed for 1,152 yards and 11 touchdowns.

As for the Badgers, this will free up a scholarship. A scholarship that could go to an incoming transfer like, say, I don't know, Russell Wilson? Wilson, who announced he was leaving N.C. State earlier this spring, has expressed an interest in playing another year of college football after his season in the Colorado Rockies minor league system finishes, and Wisconsin is reportedly a school he's interested in

Posted on: May 17, 2011 9:13 pm
 

Storm Johnson leaving Miami

Posted by Tom Fornelli

Transfer Tuesday cannot be stopped, it can only be moved to another day!

After two transfers were announced earlier on Tuesday afternoon, a release from Miami on Tuesday evening says that running back Storm Johnson is no longer with the program.

“As of this afternoon, Westleigh Storm Johnson is no longer a part of the University of Miami Football program," said head coach Al Golden in a statement. "When these situations arise, we always assist the student-athlete and his family in the transfer process.  We wish Storm success in all future endeavors.”

This news may not have been expected, but it's not exactly surprising either. Johnson wasn't having the best offseason as he was one of six Hurricanes suspended for the season opener against Maryland back in March, and then Johnson found himself in some more trouble in late April when he and teammates Travis Williams and Keion Payne were involved in some kind of altercation at a Miami dormitory. That run-in resulted in another suspension for Johnson. So while it's being presented as Johnson leaving on his own accord, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Al Golden gave him a nudge in this direction.

Johnson saw limited time for the Hurricanes last season, getting only 9 carries, but he did tally 119 yards on those limited carries, including a 71-yard touchdown run. 

Posted on: May 9, 2011 11:40 am
 

Tyler Gabbert to transfer from Missouri

Posted by Tom Fornelli

It looks like the Missouri quarterback competition has been settled. In what can only be described as a surprising announcement, Missouri issued a release on Monday morning saying that quarterback Tyler Gabbert, younger brother of former Missouri and newest Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert, will be transferring from the school.

“We wish Tyler the best and will do everything we can to assist him going forward,” said coach Gary Pinkel in a statement. “He’s worked very hard in our program this past year, and we thank him for his efforts. Tyler is a high quality person and an outstanding football player.”

This comes as a shock because there were plenty of people who felt that Gabbert could be Missouri's starting quarterback this season. He finished spring practice second on the depth chart behind James Franklin. According to the release Gabbert is leaving Missouri to pursue other playing opportunities, so maybe he knew more about Missouri's quarterback situation than the school was letting on?

Gabbert came to Columbia as part of the school's 2010 recruiting class, enrolling early and then redshirting the 2010 season.

Posted on: March 17, 2011 12:37 pm
Edited on: March 17, 2011 1:26 pm
 

Memphis to lose its starting quarterback

Posted by Tom Fornelli

Here's a problem you generally don't want to deal with at any time, let alone on the first day of spring practice. With Memphis beginning its practice on Wednesday, it got a bit of a surprise from starting quarterback Ryan Williams as he's asked for his release from the program.

According to Williams' father, Rich Williams, his son has decided to leave the Tigers because head coach Larry Porter has decided to change the team's offensive scheme from a pro-style to a spread option attack. Which is what coaches tend to do after 1-11 seasons, and going 0-8 within conference play. Still, even when changing schemes, losing the quarterback with the most experience on your team seldom helps matters.

"Ryan Williams is no longer part of our program," Porter said Wednesday. "Obviously, the timing of this wasn't good, but I'd rather talk about the players who are still wearing the Memphis helmet."

Williams started ten games as a freshman last season, throwing for 2,075 yards, 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Williams took over for Cannon Smith last season, whom has now moved to safety. Another one of Memphis' backups last season, Tyler Bass, has transferred. Which means that the Tigers now go into the 2011 season with two quarterbacks on the roster in Will Gilchrist and Andy Summerlin. Both of whom are sophomores with now playing experience, and Summerlin is coming off of shoulder surgery.
Posted on: March 14, 2011 4:52 pm
 

Brandon Willis is officially a Tar Heel, again

Posted by Tom Fornelli

Brandon Willis was originally a member of North Carolina's 2010 recruiting class, but only after originally committing to Tennessee and changing his mind when Lane Kiffin left for USC. After losing his mother while still in high school, Willis' father lost his job and found a new one in southern California. Not wanting to be separated from his father after losing his mother, Willis announced last August that he was leaving North Carolina to transfer to UCLA.

Then, seven days ago, Willis announced he was leaving UCLA. This time his grandmother is ailing, and once again Brandon is on the move. While it's been rumored for a week now, North Carolina made it official with a release on Monday saying that Willis was returning to Chapel Hill.

“Brandon lost his mother in high school and is very close with his grandmother, who lives in Burlington and is battling health issues,” head coach Butch Davis said in a statement. “He and his father wanted to move back to the East coast to be with her.  There were no hard feelings when Brandon originally left and when he inquired about the possibility of returning, we welcomed him back.”

Of course, since Willis transferred last season, he had to sit out the entire 2010 season. Now that he's transferring again, he may have to sit out a second straight year. North Carolina will submit a waiver to the NCAA asking to grant Willis immediate eligibility, and given the nature of his latest transfer, there's a chance that the NCAA will allow it.
Posted on: March 12, 2011 2:25 pm
Edited on: March 18, 2011 11:50 am
 

Seantrel Henderson not transferring, suspended?

Posted by Tom Fornelli

There have been a lot of rumors involving Miami offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson floating through Miami and Coral Gables in the last few days. According to InsidetheU.com, Henderson has been suspended for Miami's season opener against Maryland in 2011. Then there are the rumors that Henderson is thinking about transferring from the school.

Which wouldn't be the first time Henderson changed his mind about his school, after all. One of the most highly rated recruits of the 2010 class, Henderson originally announced a commitment to USC on signing day in 2010, but did not sign his letter of intent. He wanted to wait and see about the sanctions that would be hitting USC before signing, and then eventually chose to go to Miami.

One of the biggest reasons Henderson chose Miami was head coach Randy Shannon, who has since been fired and replaced by Al Golden. And that's where the Henderson transfer rumors grew from. Rumors which have now been denied by both Henderson and Al Golden.


More Miami

“Seantrel has every intention of remaining with the University of Miami and our football program,’’ Golden said in a written statement. “It is disappointing that individuals are taking the liberty to hypothesize on his future. He is coming off a strong finish to off-season workouts, rotated with the first team on Thursday and is well respected and liked by his teammates. Seantrel is growing into a leader, loves the game and cares deeply about being a part of the Miami Hurricane family.’’

“I am committed to my teammates, coaches and the championship goals we are chasing at the University of Miami," said Henderson in his statement. "I have no desire to play anywhere but at the U.”

Of course, while that settles the transfer rumors, you'll notice Al Golden said nothing about any possible suspension. Though according to Seantrel's father, Sean, neither he or his son have been informed of any suspension.
Posted on: March 4, 2011 5:40 pm
 

Oklahoma's Trice to transfer

Posted by Tom Fornelli

In February, Oklahoma had to give its players a week off from training after self-reporting violations committed by the school's coaching staff when four assistants improperly questioned players about their lack of workouts. It was a minor violation, and not one that brought a lot of trouble to the program, but there had been some speculation that defensive back Marcus Trice was the player who gave Oklahoma's compliance department a recording of defensive backs coach Willie Martinez.

It's an accusation that Trice denies, though this bit of news won't help quell the conspiracy theories. Oklahoma announced on Friday that Trice would be transferring.

“It was my dream school,” Trice told the Tulsa World. “I pretty much always wanted to come to OU since I was little. I fulfilled my dream to play here at the University of Oklahoma, and I got to play early. Right now, I’m just looking to get on the field and play somewhere.”

“Marcus is looking for another opportunity and we’ll do everything we can to help him find a good situation,” Bob Stoops said in a press release. “Marcus has worked hard here and will leave with our best wishes.” 

As for the tape of Willie Martinez, Trice said he didn't do it  “but I don’t and won’t throw anyone else under the bus.”

As for where he'll end up, Trice says he'll take a look at Tulsa, which was one of his finalists before he decided to attend Oklahoma.
Posted on: February 10, 2011 3:58 pm
 

Plenty of players leaving Ole Miss

Posted by Tom Fornelli

Earlier this week Jesse Grandy announced that he was leaving Ole Miss to play football closer to home since a member of his family recently became ill. It seems Grandy has started a trend. According to the Clarion-Ledger, there are a few other players who are no longer on the Rebels' roster, and they've found new homes as well.
Later in that note, though, there are a couple of other names mentioned: Dele Junaid and Jared Mitchell. Both were scholarship players who are not on this roster that the school distributed Tuesday night, shortly after the news of Grandy’s departure broke.
But here are four more scholarship players from last year who were missing, as we noted early Wednesday afternoon on Twitter: RB Martez Eastland, OL Terrance Hackney, DE Lekenwic Haynes and DL Alan-Michael Thomas.
Junaid is transferring to a junior college in Texas, Eastland is on his way to Georgia Southern, and the others are all transferring, but haven't found a new destination just yet. So why is there suddenly an exodus from Houston Nutt and Oxford? Well, according to Oversigning.com, Ole Miss had 15 open spots on its roster going into 2011. On signing day the Rebels announced a freshman class of 27 newly signed players.

A quick check of the math shows that the Rebels added twelve more players than the team had spots for, and now suddenly a bunch of players are moving on. It's funny how that works, isn't it?
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com