Tag:Police Blotter
Posted on: August 2, 2011 12:28 pm

Syracuse's Gulley out of hospital

Posted by Tom Fornelli

The last week hasn't been very kind to the Syracuse football program. Wide receiver Marcus Sales was arrested on a number of different drug charges, and in scarier news, running back Prince-Tyson Gulley suffered multiple stab wounds during a fight on campus. Thankfully for Gulley, he's now been released from the hospital.

Gulley left the hospital over the weekend and is at home recovering with his father. It's expected that he'll return to Syracuse some time this week before camp begins on Friday, though nobody knows when he'll be able to return to the field, or what kind of punishment -- if any -- he faces for the incident.

Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone said he's talked to Gulley since the incident, but he hasn't gone into any detail into what kind of consequences there will be for Gulley or Sales, saying it'll be handled internally.

Gulley suffered stab wounds to the back and arms after a fight broke out at a party following a group of non-students showing up at the party on campus.

Gulley only had 13 carries for 74 yards and a touchdown last season, but did return 30 kicks for 633 yards and is expected to play a much larger role in the Syracuse offense this season. 
Posted on: July 23, 2011 12:38 pm
Edited on: July 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Kansas' Berglund charged with assault

Posted by Tom Fornelli

One of Kansas' top recruits from its 2011 class has some legal issues to deal with. Brock Berglund, a three-star quarterback from Colorado, has been charged with third-degree assault for an incident that took place in April.

Berglund allegedly punched a man who had been harrassing his girlfriend, though a complaint wasn't filed until June 24. Coach Turner Gill is aware of the issue.

"We are going to let the legal process run its course," Gill said in a statement. "We will also handle it appropriately internally here at KU."

This is just the latest twist in what has been a confusing story since Berglund committed to Kansas. He graduated from high school early and enrolled at Kansas in January, but he hasn't been around campus all that much since then.

Berglund missed spring practice and hasn't been participating in the team's summer workout sessions, and while you might think that this legal issue definitely has something to do with it, as the Lawrence Journal-World points out, the alleged incident didn't take place until the sixth day of spring practice.

Making things a bit stranger, Gill announced that Berglund wouldn't be participating in spring practice due to "personal circumstances" in March, a full month before the alleged assault even took place.

All of this led to a lot of speculation that Berglund was reconsidering his decision to attend Kansas, which Berglund put to rest last week. Still, considering that Berglund was being considered a candidate to start for the Jayhawks at quarterback this season, he hasn't done much to help make that a reality the last few months.

Hat tip: CFT
Posted on: July 20, 2011 6:51 pm
Edited on: July 20, 2011 6:58 pm

UCF QB Jeff Godfrey arrested

Posted by Tom Fornelli

UCF quarterback Jeff Godfrey was arrested by campus police on Saturday night for driving on a suspended license.

According to the officer that pulled over and arrested Godfrey, he knew that Godfrey was driving on a suspended license because he'd already given him a ticket for it on April 9th. The officer also wrote on his report that he felt the tint on the windows of Godfrey's car were too dark.

Godfrey was booked into Orange County Jail on Sunday morning and was later released after posting $250 bail. His court date is set for August 5th.

Godfrey's license had been suspended after he failed to pay two traffic fines in 2009, along with another one last month. His license also expired on May 25th, so even if it hadn't already been suspended, it wouldn't be valid anyway.

UCF head coach George O'Leary is aware of Godfrey's arrest and said in a statement that he has "spoken with Jeff in regards to correcting his driver license status.

Posted on: July 15, 2011 12:30 pm
Edited on: July 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Illini's Jones pleads not guilty to assault

Posted by Tom Fornelli

Illinois defensive lineman Chris Jones was in a Champaign County court room on Thursday where he pleaded not guilty to the aggravated assault charges he's facing. The charges stem fron an incident on July 3rd in which Jones allegedly attacked two gay men.

The men told the police that they had been outside of a bar in Champaign when a car drove by them with someone inside it shouting gay slurs at them. That man was apparently Jones, and apparently the words weren't enough for him. The men said that Jones then got out of the car and punched both of them, as they each suffered minor facial injuries from the encounter.

Jones was suspended from the Illinois football team and is currently being held in jail on $100,000 bond.

This wouldn't be Jones' first run-in with the law, as he has a prior conviction for cocaine possession in his hometown of Jacksonville, Florida.

Posted on: July 14, 2011 3:16 pm
Edited on: July 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Ex-Mountaineer charged with second robbery

Posted by Tom Fornelli

Earlier this week West Virginia linebacker Branko Busick was arrested and charged with armed robbery. An arrest that led to his dismissal from the West Virginia football team. Well, I don't think Busick is all that worried about not being able to play football anymore, as he has an incredibly full plate right now.

It seems one robbery just wasn't enough for Busick, so he's now been charged for a second.

Busick was arrested in another, unrelated armed robbery on Wednesday, said Morgantown Police Sgt. Robert Gilmore.

The victim in the second case told police he was hit in the face and knocked down as he walked home from work June 23. This week, he identified Busick as the man who stole his iPhone and a wallet containing about $70.

Gilmore said that victim was treated for his injuries at Ruby Memorial Hospital.

According to the police, it was information learned following the first arrest of Busick that led to the second arrest, though they wouldn't go into any detail on that. After being arrested originally on Monday, Busick was released on $25,000 bond paid for by his former WWE wrestler father, Big Bully Busick. Now he finds himself in Northern Central Regional Jail where he's being held on a $250,000 bond.

Should Busick be convicted, he faces up to 10 years in prison on each count. 

Posted on: July 12, 2011 12:37 pm
Edited on: July 12, 2011 2:55 pm

WVU LB Branko Busick dismissed from team

Posted by Tom Fornelli

UPDATE: Head coach Dana Holgorsen announced in an official release that Branko Busick has been dismissed from the Mountaineer football program for violation of team rules, and no further comment will be made.

Finally, some bad news coming out of the West Virginia football program that doesn't involve Dana Holgorsen, Bill Stewart or somebody getting tossed out of a casino. No, this time it's just your run of the mill "reserve linebacker commits armed robbery" story.

West Virginia linebacker Branko Busick was arrested on Monday morning after allegedly partaking in an armed robbery with two others early Monday morning.

Police say they received a call around 5:00 from a man claiming that another man with a gun and two acquaintances entered an apartment and demanded money from him. When he told them he had no money, the victim says he was struck repeatedly with the gun and forced out of the apartment.

Busick was identified as one of the males involved and was taken into custody at the North Central Regional Jail.

West Virginia is yet to release a statement on Busick's arrest.

Busick is a redshirt sophomore who played in only two games for West Virginia last season, though he was expected to compete for a starting job this fall. Something that could be harder to do should he end up in prison. 

Posted on: June 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Former Texas Tech coordinator gets probation

Posted by Tom Fornelli

Former Texas Tech defensive coordinator James Willis has pleaded guilty to the charge of assault and domestic violence stemming from an incident in December.

It was reported that Willis had gotten into an altercation with his wife on December 22nd, and just a few days later Willis was no longer working for Tommy Tuberville at Texas Tech. Willis has been sentenced to six months deferred probation and could face up to a year in prison if he's found in violation of his probation. He must also attend anger management classes and do 30 hours of community service. 

According to the police report, Willis' wife Shalane Willis called police to the couple's house on December 22nd claiming that Willis slapped her, hit her on the nose and threw her on the bed during an argument. She then ran out the front door and to a neighbor's house where she called 911.

Willis only spent one season at Texas Tech as defensive coordinator, but had worked under Tuberville alongside Florida head coach Will Muschamp at Auburn. Willis was replaced at Texas Tech by Chad Glasgow.

Posted on: June 29, 2011 5:17 pm
Edited on: June 29, 2011 5:31 pm

RB fatally stabbed hours after HS graduation

Posted by Tom Fornelli

Nineteen-year old Isayah Muller of Truman High School in New York City died from stab wounds he received merely hours after graduating from high school. According to a report in the New York Daily News, Muller and his family were leaving his commencement ceremony and on their way to dinner when Muller's father, Andre Muller, got into a fight with a couple of parking attendants whom his father believed stole some items from the family's car.

The joyous family had left the commencement at Lehman College around 4 p.m. to head to a celebratory dinner at City Island, cops said.

But after they pulled out of the Jerome Ave. parking lot, the elder Muller noticed some "expensive fragrances missing from the car," a source said.

He then turned around and drove back to the lot to confront the attendants about the missing cologne, which he had bought as a graduation gift for his son, cops said.

Once back at the M.T. Jerome Town Corp. lot, a furious fight erupted and quickly turned violent as two attendants pulled out knives on the unarmed Mullers, relatives said

"Neither of them were armed," said Myrna Valentin, 54, Muller's grandmother. "[Andre] picked up a shovel and snapped one of them with it and broke his arm."

Isayah Muller was stabbed twice in the fracas - once in his side and once in his chest - as his horrified mother, Rosa, and his girlfriend looked on.

Muller was then put into the car by his family and taken to a clinic ten blocks away before being transported to St. Barnabas Hospital. He died there from his wounds, as his heart was pierced when Muller was stabbed in the chest. In a cruel twist, Andre Muller has been charged with assault and possession of a weapon. The parking lot attendants were still being held for questioning.

Isayah Muller had planned on attending Nassau Community College in the fall. 

The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com