Posted by Bryan Fischer
Nineteen days until signing day and the coaches are already hitting the recruiting trail hard to close out their classes. That said, at least most of them play on Saturdays on green grass unlike the coaches in the first link.
- This is not recruiting related but worth passing on as New Braunfels (TX) Canyon High has replaced their stadium turf - Eastern Washington-style. The red turf, the first in the nation at the high school level, might not be the only colored turf in the state of Texas as the University of Texas San Antonio is considering an orange field. Although I like the Boise State blue field, the way things are going, I wouldn't want to be the ones that eventually have a pink football field.
- The South Florida Blur, a 7-on-7 travel team sponsored by SoFlaFootball.com and Under Armour, has released its roster full of underclass all-star talents. All-star teams from Florida, Texas, California and others are always an amazing collection of talent on the field.
- Staying in Florida, one of the top uncommitted quarterbacks has moved Florida State and LSU down on his list. Jacoby Brissett has quickly become a hot name out on the recruiting trail and after taking a visit to South Carolina, is expected to choose between Miami, Florida and Washington.
- Clemson has backed off recruiting running back Marlin Lane after he didn't firm up his commitment to the Tigers. Clemson currently has one running back commit, stud Mike Bellamy.
- Former Ohio State receiver, and son of Cris Carter, Duron Carter will not be returning to Ohio State his junior college coach confirmed. Maimi is an option for Carter, who is from Ft. Lauderdale.
- Stanford commit Amir Carlisle will visit USC this weekend. Carlisle expressed interest in the Trojans before committing to the Cardinal so it will be interesting if this visit opens up his recruitment in the wake of the Stanford coaching change. Another Stanford-commit who is on the fence with the coaching change, linebacker James Vaughters, is also having second thoughts due to the likely departure of defensive coordinator Vic Fangio.
- MaxPreps.com has an update on Sam Meredith, who will head to San Diego State despite the departure of Brady Hoke to Michigan. MaxPreps.com also named Pearland (TX) coach Tony Heath as its U.S. Air Force National Coach of the Year.
- Mississippi State added defensive end Barron Dixon to their recruiting class after canceling a visit to Vanderbilt. Though he is listed at defensive end, he is expected to slide inside to tackle.
- Tosh Lupoi continues to do excellent work and has built Cal's defensive line into one of the best in the nation with the recent commitment of Brandon Scarlett from Portland (OR). Scarlett was pursued by several schools around the country.