Tag:Marc Savard
Posted on: September 12, 2011 2:36 pm
Edited on: September 12, 2011 4:02 pm
 

Bruins' Savard will get name on Stanley Cup

By Brian Stubits

Here's some welcome good news for Marc Savard, who could possibly have played his last game in the NHL due to concussion issues: he's going to have his name etched into the Stanley Cup after all.

 General manager Peter Chiarelli said Monday at the team's charity golf tournament that Savard's name will be inscribed on the trophy with his teammates.

Savard, who played just 25 games because of post-concussion syndrome, didn't meet the minimum requirement of 41 games played to appear on the Cup, but Chiarelli insisted he would petition the league to have Savard's name added. Apparently he was convincing.

He did get the greatest perk in sports already despite not being on the Cup, getting a day all to himself to spend with the prized trophy.

Chiarelli announced two weeks ago that Savard is unlikely to play at all next season, so he won't be able to help the B's defend the Cup. Moreover, Chiarelli says the team isn't counting on Savard ever playing again.

If the Bruins GM is correct and Savard is finished, he'll go out a champion, and he'll be able to point to the Cup to prove it.

Also Monday, Bruins forward Nathan Horton, who was injured during the Stanley Cup finals against Vancouver, said he is skating again and ready for the start of training camp this week.

Photo: Getty Images

The Associated Press contributed to this report

For more hockey news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnHockey and @BrianStubitsNHL on Twitter.

Posted on: August 31, 2011 2:26 pm
Edited on: August 31, 2011 2:51 pm
 

Bruins GM: Savard out for year, likely career

By Brian Stubits

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli brought some sobering news to a festive offseason for Boston, saying that Marc Savard isn't expected to play in 2011-12 at all. Moreover, the team is assuming the forward's career is finished.

From the Boston Globe Bruins Blog:

“Marc Savard won’t play this year,” Chiarelli said. “Nothing has changed in our monitoring. He’ll be examined and he’ll be declared unfit to play.

“Based on what I see, what I hear, what I read, and what I’m told, it’s very unlikely Marc will play again,” Chiarelli continued. “Now, knowing the uncertainty of this injury, there’s always a chance [he could play]. But based on what I’m told, it’s very unlikely he’ll play. As an employer, I support him and hope he gets back to living a healthy life.”

There's been little bad news for Bruins in the past few months. Obviously that changed with the announcement.

It's terrible news. You don't ever want to see a player's career ended short this way. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out of the blue as a total shock. Savard has spent a good part of the past few years dealing with concussions. He first took one on the controversial blindside hit from Matt Cooke that helped the NHL move forward in eliminating the hits from the sport.

He eventually returned but suffered a second concussion in February of this season. Since then he has continued to struggle with post-concussion symptoms and it appears nobody is willing to let the 34-year-old Savard get back on the ice.

Only defenseman Zdeno Chara is under contract with the Bruins for longer than Savard, who still has six seasons at more than $4 million per left.

It wasn't long ago that Savard was at the top of his game. In 2008-09 he played a full 82-game slate with the Bruins and had 25 goals with 63 assists. His best season came while in Atlanta when he scored a career-high 28 goals and had 69 assists for a 97-point season.

Photo: Getty Images

For more hockey news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnHockey and @BrianStubitsNHL on Twitter.

Posted on: August 22, 2011 6:12 pm
Edited on: August 22, 2011 6:21 pm
 

Dave Scatchard retires due to concussions

By: Adam Gretz

Dave Scatchard, an 11-year NHL veteran, announced his retirement with a series of Tweets on Monday and informed his followers that he was calling it a career due to ongoing issues with concussions. Scatchard explained that after a few days of testing at the Mayo Clinic the doctors advised the 35-year-old forward that it would be unsafe for him to continue playing.

Originally a second-round draft pick by the Vancouver Canucks in 1994, Scatchard scored 128 goals in 659 regular season games as a member of the Canucks, Islanders, Bruins, Coyotes, Predators and Blues, playing most recently with St. Louis this past season, appearing in just eight games. He played in just 24 games since the end of the 2006-07 season.

Concussions and head injuries are a hot topic in professional sports right now, especially in the NHL where players like Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby and Boston's Marc Savard have had longer than expected recoveries from their injuries, while in years past players like Pat LaFontaine and Eric Lindros had their careers end prematurely as a result of concussions they had suffered.

While Scatchard wasn't quite the offensive force those players were, he was still a solid NHL player that still feels like he has something to offer a team and is no longer able to do that.

What the NHL can do to help prevent these injuries is an ongoing topic of debate with no easy solution that would please everybody or completely fix the problem. The game will always carry some amount of risk with injuries being a part of that. And while the league has recently banned blindside hits that target the head (like the one Savard received from Matt Cooke two years ago, starting his string of concussion problems) with Rule 48, there have been some calls -- met with plenty of resistence, of course -- for the league to ban all contact to the head. That doesn't seem to be close to happening, but as long as concussions continue to be a problem -- and as more is learned about them and the effects they have on long-term health -- the debate will continue to rage on.

For more hockey news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnHockey and @agretz on Twitter.

Posted on: July 28, 2011 10:38 pm
 

Marc Savard still experiencing headaches

By: Adam Gretz

Boston Bruins center Marc Savard hasn't played in an NHL game since Jan. 22 -- and has appeared in just 32 games since March of 2010 -- due to a pair of concussions he's suffered over the past two seasons. According to Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe, the 34-year-old forward is still experiencing headaches as a result of the head injuries, and barring a sudden change in his condition is unlikely to participate in training camp for this upcoming season.

Given the severity of the injuries and the fact he's now in his mid-30's, you at least have to entertain the possibility that this could cut his career short, or at the very least limit his ability and production when he does finally return to the ice.  And just as a point of reference, Pat LaFontaine was only 32 when his career came to a premature end due to concussions, while Eric Lindros was just 33. That's not to say the situations are identical, or that Savard's problems are as severe as the ones LaFontaine and Lindros faced, but it's at least worth considering at this point.

Prior to the injuries he was one of the best playmaking centers in the NHL, finishing in the top-six in assists four times (including three times in the top-three) between 2005 and 2009. During a game against Pittsburgh late in the 2009-10 season, Savard was blindsided by Penguins forward Matt Cooke on a devastating hit to the head that ultimately helped lead to Rule 48, which made similar blindside hits to the head illegal. He didn't play another game during the regular season but was able to return for the playoffs where he tallied one goal -- an overtime game winner -- and two assists in seven games.

After appearing in just 25 games this past season, where his production had plummeted from his career norms, all the way down to just two goals and eight assists, Savard was on the receiving end of another brutal hit, this time into the glass, from Colorado's Matt Hunwick, resulting in his second concussion in less than nine months.


For more hockey news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnhl and @agretz on Twitter.

 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com