But Friday marks the first time this season Eric Staal faces the Rangers and considering it was him who put his brother out of action with the concussion-inducing hit, it brought attention back to the story. So what has been happening on the Marc Staal front?
According to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, Marc was told to stay off the ice for a month.
A news blackout has been imposed regarding Marc’s condition, but The Post has learned the 24-year-old defenseman will be examined next week in Boston by concussion specialist Dr. Robert Cantu.
The examination, sources have told The Post, will follow a one-month “shutdown” period ordered by Cantu when Staal visited him during the week of Oct. 16 while the Rangers were in western Canada.
This situation has never sounded good from the start, but we've come a long way from Staal being held out of practice and preseason games for precautionary reasons. Unfortunately, this is starting to resemble the Sidney Crosby situation.
As for brother Eric, this is going to further prolong his agony, particularly with all the questions leading up what is normally a brother-meet-brother battle.
"I wouldn't say it has kept me awake at night, but it's tough," he told NHL.com. "If I could take it back I probably wouldn't hit him knowing where we've gone and what has gone on since then. But it was one of those plays, bang-bang, happens so quickly, and I hit him hard."
It will be interesting to see what kind of reception Eric gets when the Hurricanes visit MSG on Friday, both from the fans and the Rangers.
Photo: Getty Images