This weekend, I'll have full coverage of the Strikeforce: Miami show at the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.
I will be at the weigh-ins later tonight to report on the various happenings, including any special guests that may drop in on the proceedings (remember, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is crawling with big shots this week, due to the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl XLIV happening at Sun Life Stadium).
On Saturday, I will live-blog the entire show (including the untelevised preliminaries), round by round. Check back often for the latest updates.
The mainstream hook to this show is the pro MMA debut of NFL legend Herschel Walker, who will face Greg Nagy. There is also interest in former WWE powerhouse (and current TNA wrestling performer) Bobby Lashley, who will fight UFC alum Wes Sims. Sims was last seen on Season 10 of The Ultimate Fighter.
Lashley has similar attributes to WWE-champ-turned-UFC-mauler Brock Lesnar -- including freakish power and very strong amateur wrestling credentials -- but none of the bad attitude or bravado. It will be interesting to see if Lashley can develop into the next heavyweight MMA star.
The card also features a trio of very intriguing bouts, headlined by the return of the pride of Stockton, Calif., Nick Diaz, who will face Marius "The Whitemare" Zaromskis in the main event to crown a new Strikeforce welterweight champion.
Cris "Cyborg" Santos enters the cage for the first time since demolishing fan favorite Gina Carano last summer, defending her Strikeforce 145-pound women's title against Marloes Coenen.
At middleweight, "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler will attempt to rebound from his submission loss to Jake Shields last June, in a likely slugfest with the dangerous Melvin Manhoef.
The full card for Saturday's event is below.
Main card bouts (televised live on Showtime at 10 p.m. ET):
- Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis (170-pound bout for the vacant Strikeforce welterweight title)
- Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Marloes Coenen (145-pound women's title defense)
- Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef (185)
- Bobby Lashley vs. Wes Sims (265)
- Greg Nagy vs. Herschel Walker (265)
- Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs (170 -- will stream live on EASports.com)
- Pablo Alfonso vs. Marcos da Matta
- Michael Byrnes vs. David Zitnik
- Sabah Homasi vs. John Kelly
- David Gomez vs. Craig Oxley
- Hayder Hassan vs. Ryan Keenan
Check in later for news and notes from the weigh-ins.
Follow Denny Burkholder on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DennyBurkholder