As long as I'm piling on the ACC couldn't resist this one ...
Well, it's not an ACC error per se but why not kick a mediocre league while it's down. It seems that Duke officials
were shocked when parachutists descended into Wallace Wade Stadium with the game ball about an hour before Saturday's
James Madison game. One problem. Duke hadn't ordered a game ball. However, North Carolina, eight miles away, did.
modest beginning for a monster talent? Terrelle Pryor looked more than capable in his career debut against
Youngstown State, 35 yards passing, 52 yards rushing and a touchdown.
For up-to-the-minute updates go to Pryor's 24-hour webcam. You've got to see the archived stuff of him having the
Caesar salad for lunch on Friday. Classic.
• Nothing like patience. This from a Detroit columnist: "(Michigan quarterback) Steven Threet needs to start based on his performance
(against Utah)." After watching that mess in The Big House does it matter?
• Hawaii AD Jim Donovan is a smart, smart man. There are no more SEC teams on the Warriors schedule for the
foreseeable future. The last two outings against the SEC have resulted in combined losses of 97-20 to Georgia and
• If you want to put a new name atop the hot seat list, feel free to add San Diego State's Chuck Long. We did get
our designated I-AA upset late Saturday although it wasn't the earth shaker you might think. Cal Poly beat the Aztecs
for the second time in three seasons. This time it was 29-27. A San Diego columnist the program "reached the bottom of its existence."
• Big 12 starting quarterbacks threw a combined 20 touchdown passes on Saturday. That's an average of 2.2 per man without two of the nine starters throwing for a score. The breakdown: Kansas' Todd Reesing (three), Missouri's Chase Daniel (three), Nebraska's Joe Ganz (four), Kansas State's Josh Freeman (three), Texas' Colt McCoy (three), Texas' A&M Stephen McGee (none), Texas Tech's Graham Harrell (two), Oklahoma State's Zac Robinson (none) and Oklahoma's Sam Bradford (two).
• Five years ago to the day Dennis Franchione started his Texas A&M career with a 26-11 victory over Arkansas State.
Franchione's replacement, Mike Sherman,wasn't so fortunate losing to the Red Wolves 18-14 in his first game as
Aggies' coach. The usually staid Associated Press called it "one of the most embarrassing losses in A&M history."
• Nebraska recovered a fumble against Western Michigan. That brings the Huskers to one-third of their total for all
• How important are those Virginia Tech special teams? Huge. The Hokies had won 17 consecutive games when blocking a
• Pittsburgh is now 5-13 since starting 6-1 in 2006.
kick. Ironically, East Carolina's T.J. Lee blocked a punt and scored the game-winning touchdown in a 27-22 Pirates'
victory. East Carolina became the only team below the BCS level that beat a top 20 team. The other teams
with a win over top 20 wins on Saturday were Missouri and Alabama.
The Pirates became the first Conference USA team to beat back-to-back ranked teams. They had defeated Boise State in
last year's Hawaii Bowl. That says more about Conference USA than it does East Carolina. Conference USA is 13 years
king apparently twisted an ankle (X-rays were negative).
• Novenas are being said in Columbus for tailback Beanie Wells. Ohio State's tailback has some sort of right foot
problem. Again, X-rays were negative. Even if he is 100 percent look for Jim Tressel to seriously limiting Wells'
playing time this week against Ohio. The Bucks need him healthy for USC in two weeks. We should know something on Monday.
• Most impressive on opening weekend? It had to be USC which slapped around Virginia. Pete Carroll looked like he
was sandbagging us during the preseason. Three weeks after dislocating his knee, quarterback Mark Sanchez looks
ready and able to become the new Leinart after throwing for a career-high 338 yards.
"Everything happened just right," Carroll said. "Too bad we let them score."
• Hurricane Gustav's impact is being felt all the way to Alabama. Tulane has already gone threat ahead of the storm
• If you're looking ahead to Tennessee-UCLA on Monday night consider UCLA's Kevin Craft. The juco transfer
quarterback faces some uphill odds. The last juco transfer qb to lead a team to a Pac-10 title was USC's Tim Green in
in preparations for this week's game at Alabama. Troy goes over to LSU in a game that could be a prime candidate for
cancellation. The Category 3 storm is expected to hit Louisiana on Monday.
• OK, so there is no Terrelle Pryor 24-hour webcam but if you got down this far believing it, gotcha!