Posted on: September 10, 2010 3:27 pm
Edited on: September 10, 2010 3:34 pm
Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl will have his pay docked $2 million over the life of his contract and not be allowed to recruit offcampus from Sept. 24, 2010 to Sept. 23, 2011, the school announced Friday. The development was in response to the NCAA sending an official letter of inquiry after a 17-month investigation into Pearl's program.
"I've made some serious mistakes," Pearl said at a Friday press conference. "For that I'm truly sorry."
School officials did not discuss what NCAA rule Pearl violated.
They only said he "misled" the NCAA during the course of the investigation.
(Click this link to see full list of self-imposed penalties at Tennessee.)
Posted on: September 10, 2010 3:00 pm
Edited on: September 10, 2010 3:04 pm
Tennessee received an official letter of inquiry from the NCAA on Friday detailing allegations against the school's men's basketball program. Athletic director Mike Hamilton and coach Bruce Pearl were scheduled to hold a press conference shortly after 3 p.m. ET to discuss the situation.
A source told CBSSports.com on Friday that NCAA assistant director of enforcement Kristen Matha visited Knoxville and questioned the basketball staff "months ago." At least one area of concern is alleged excessive contact between coaches and recruits, though a source said the staff was also questioned about unofficial visits and the recruitment of Kansas freshman Josh Selby -- a McDonald's All-American who was committed to the Vols before he opened his recruitment back up and ultimately signed with and enrolled at KU.
CBSSports.com reported last month that Selby is facing questions about his amateur status from the NCAA.
He has not yet been cleared for freshman eligibility.
Posted on: September 10, 2010 10:32 am
Edited on: September 10, 2010 11:17 am
An NCAA official has spoken with Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl and assistant Tony Jones about allegations of excessive contact with recruits, Volquest.com reported early Friday. CBSSports.com has confirmed the report and been told additional staff members have also been questioned about everything from improper phone calls to unofficial visits to the recruitiment of McDonald's All-American Josh Selby.
Selby committed to UT in September 2008, then decommitted in July 2009. He eventually enrolled at Kansas. CBSSports.com reported last month that the NCAA hasn't yet cleared Selby for freshman eligibility because of questions about his amateur status. A source on Friday told CBSSports.com that Selby's case remains unresolved.
NCAA assistant director of enforcement Kristen Matha visited Knoxville and questioned the basketball staff "months ago," a source told CBSSports.com. A separate source described the interviews as preliminary but did not discount the severity that could come from them given that excessive contact is what cost Kelvin Sampson the Indiana job, and it was a big part of the NCAA's investigation at Connecticut that led to the resignations of two assistants.
"We have not received a letter of inquiry from the NCAA," UT spokesman Jimmy Stanton told the Associated Press. "Upon receipt of such a letter, we would release it publicly."
The NCAA has also interviewed current and former UT football coaches and recruits as part of a separate investigation into possible allegations under former coach Lane Kiffin. The university has not received a formal letter of inquiry from the NCAA about that investigation either, though athletic director Mike Hamilton has said he expects one.
Posted on: August 12, 2010 11:53 pm
Edited on: August 13, 2010 1:35 am
Where Class of 2011 standout Adonis Thomas will play college basketball remains unclear.
But this much is certain: He'll be a TV star by the time he arrives on campus.
Melrose High coach Jermaine Johnson told CBSSports.com on Thursday that his Memphis-based program -- headlined by Thomas, a consensus top 10 national recruit -- will be the subject of a reality series scheduled to start shooting next week and air later this year or next year on MTV. According to Johnson, the show will be similar to the wildy popular "Two-A-Days" series MTV did on the Hoover (Ala.) High football team in 2006 -- main difference being that this version, which is yet to be named, will chronicle the lives of innercity minorities trying to repeat as state champions.
"Everybody is so excited," Johnson said. "It's going to be huge."
So what about Thomas and his future?
Johnson said his star prospect still hasn't narrowed his list of potential colleges, that all the schools that have been heavily recruiting the 6-foot-6 wing remain involved -- among them Memphis, Tennessee, Ohio State, Florida, Arkansas, and Kentucky. Truth is, most insiders believe it will be difficult to pry Thomas out of Memphis considering four of his summer teammates (Joe Jackson, Chris Crawford, Jelan Kendrick and Tarik Black) are now freshmen in Josh Pastner's program, but that theory hasn't stopped many from seriously pursuing the likely McDonald's All-American.
Johnson said the latest to make a move is UCLA.
"Ben Howland has been relentless," Johnson said. "He's made Adonis his top target."
Posted on: June 1, 2010 1:10 pm
UTEP transfer Arnett Moultrie remains undecided about his next college and now plans to visit multiple schools before enrolling anywhere, his mentor, Sorrell Valentine, told CBSSports.com on Tuesday.
"At first he wanted to enroll in summer school in June," Valentine said. "But now he's going to take a few visits before he decides anything."
Valentine's comments come after a Memorial Day weekend during which various sources told CBSSports.com that Moultrie was leaning toward registering for summer school at Mississippi State on Tuesday. Valentine neither confirmed nor denied such was ever a plan. All he said is that Moultrie is not in school at Mississippi State, and that the 6-foot-11 forward will now take visits before settling on a destination.
Among the schools believed to be involved with Moultrie are Mississippi State, Arkansas, Texas, Memphis, Tennessee and Kentucky. The Memphis native averaged 9.8 points and 6.7 rebounds per game as a sophomore at UTEP. Moultrie will sit out next season per NCAA transfer rules and be eligible with two years remaining in 2011-12 provided he transfers to a school with a release. It's unclear which schools have requested and received releases. But it's worth noting that Valentine said UTEP has released Moultrie to Mississippi State after initially declining to do so. Memphis does not have a release because it is, like UTEP, a C-USA school.
Posted on: May 12, 2010 10:35 am
Edited on: May 12, 2010 12:07 pm
Former UTEP standout Arnett Moultrie has developed into the hottest transfer on the market.
Most high-major programs in the south -- Tennessee, Memphis, Kentucky, Texas, etc., -- have inquired about the 6-foot-11 forward since the Memphis native withdrew from the NBA Draft last week and announced he would not return to UTEP. And though Moultrie's hometown school remains in play, developments over the past 48 hours suggest Mississippi State and Arkansas have made strong pushes and positioned themselves well.
Still, there could be an issue.
Sources told CBSSports.com on Wednesday that -- in addition to Memphis and other C-USA schools -- UTEP might not release Moultrie to Mississippi State or Arkansas. In that case, Moultrie would not be allowed to be on scholarship next year at either school. He would also lose a year of eligibility.
Why is Moultrie such a commodity?
He's a tall and skilled future NBA player who is being viewed by most as a Class of 2011 one-and-done prospect, as a guy who will sit out next year (per NCAA transfer rules) before having the same kind of impact in 2011-12 that Ekpe Udoh had at Baylor. Moultrie and Udoh aren't similar players, but they're simiar talents. Which is why coaches will spend Wednesday continuing to jockey for position, and this recruitment could turn 100 different ways before it ends, and there's no telling when it will end.
Fall classes don't start until August.
Moultrie and his people can be patient, if they want.
Posted on: April 17, 2010 8:55 pm
Edited on: April 17, 2010 9:04 pm
McDonald's All-American Josh Selby ended his recruitment Saturday by committing to Kansas.
The 6-foot-2 guard announced his decision during the Jordan Brand Classic at Madison Square Garden. MaxPreps.com ranks Selby as the No. 7 prospect in the Class of 2010. He was committed to Tennessee for about a year before famously decommitting last July. The Baltimore native considered many schools but ultimately settled on Kansas, where he'll be expected to make a major impact given the losses of Sherron Collins, Xavier Henry and Cole Aldrich.
Selby's commitment leaves just two of the top 10 prospects from the Class of 2010 uncommitted.
They are No. 6 Terrence Jones and No. 9 Cory Joseph.
Posted on: April 13, 2010 11:51 am
Edited on: April 13, 2010 11:54 am
Tennessee sophomore Scotty Hopson will pass on the NBA Draft and return to school for his junior season, a source close to the program confirmed to CBSSports.com.
An official announcement could come later today.
Hopson averaged 12.2 points per game this season while leading UT to the Elite Eight. His return means the Vols will crack the preseason Top 25 (and one). They were left out of the rankings posted last week under the assumption Hopson would be gone.