NEW YORK -- The Ike Davis story keeps getting stranger.
The Mets first baseman hasn't played since May 10, because of a bone bruise in his left ankle. Now the Mets say Davis is going to be held out of baseball activities for at least another four weeks, which they admit will basically end his season.
But he's not having surgery. Not yet.
It was thought at one point that there would be a decision on surgery this week, but that's not happening.
"The surgery is not necessarily the best solution," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said. "Surgery can be problematic."
Davis said that as recently as last week, he thought he was days away from being able to step up baseball activities and beginning a rehabilitation assignment in the minor leagues. But when he felt more pain in the ankle, doctors looked at it again and told him to back off again.
"I'm telling you, it's getting better," Davis said.
Davis still sounds torn by the surgery question, worried that there is cartilage damage in the ankle. But it appears that decision will now wait for another month.