Tag:John Danks
Posted on: December 23, 2011 6:39 pm
Edited on: December 23, 2011 6:45 pm
 

White Sox could still deal Gavin Floyd

Even after signing John Danks to a contract extension this week, the White Sox remain open to trading fellow starting pitcher Gavin Floyd, according to sources.

The White Sox surprised people in baseball (even some in their own organization) with the Danks signing, because they spent the first part of the winter including both Danks and Floyd in trade discussions. The Danks signing had people wondering if the White Sox are still "rebuilding," as general manager Ken Williams said after trading closer Sergio Santos at the Winter Meetings.

The belief now is that Williams will consider offers for Floyd and others, but that he will also continue to maintain a high price tag, as he has all winter. While Williams appears to be open to dealing Floyd, he also seems open to keeping him. Floyd is signed through 2012, but his contract carries an affordable $9.5 million option for 2013.

The trade market for starting pitchers has started to move, with both Mat Latos and Gio Gonzalez dealt within the last week. Many teams remain interested in adding pitching, and by waiting, Williams may find himself with the best available pitcher later in the winter.

Floyd, who turns 29 in January, is more than two years older than Danks. Like Danks, Floyd has averaged nearly 200 innings a season since earning a regular spot in the White Sox rotation.



Category: MLB
Posted on: December 22, 2011 2:05 pm
 

So are the White Sox really rebuilding?

Kenny Williams said the White Sox were rebuilding.

He never said they were trying to lose.

He definitely never said that the White Sox were looking at a long-term rebuilding project.

The White Sox's decision to sign John Danks to a five-year, $65 million contract, after spending the first part of the winter trying to trade their left-handed starter, certainly caught people by surprise. But it may not be the complete about-face that it at first seemed to be.

First off, Danks is still just 26. Even when Williams was talking about rebuilding, he was primarily talking about getting younger. A 26-year-old lefty who has averaged 195 innings a year over the last four seasons fits in perfectly, once you're sure you won't lose him to free agency in another year.

Second, the White Sox knew they were never going to be able to trade high-priced players like Alex Rios, Adam Dunn or Jake Peavy, and almost certainly weren't going to trade Paul Konerko, either. It's not like they were ever going to slash their payroll down to nothing.

Third, the word in both the international scouting community and among White Sox people is that the Sox could be very involved in the bidding for 26-year-old Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, who should become a free agent next month.

Fourth, the White Sox play in the American League Central. Yes, the Tigers look strong, the Royals are getting better and the Indians are trying harder, but this is not the toughest division in the game.

In fact, some White Sox people cringed when Williams began talking openly about "rebuilding."

"We are not rebuilding," one of them said forcefully.

Now, with Danks signed, some of those White Sox people were actually talking Thursday about what needs to happen for them to win in 2012.

Chris Sale needs to effectively take Mark Buehrle's spot in the rotation. Peavy needs to be better, a year further on from surgery.

Dunn and/or Rios need to bounce back.

Oh, and someone needs to take Sergio Santos' place as closer.

The Santos trade, to Toronto for pitching prospect Nestor Molina, is the only deal the Sox have made so far in their "rebuilding" winter. It fit the rebuilding mode, although it is worth remembering that while Santos has just two years in the big leagues, he is a year and a half older than Danks.

Perhaps the White Sox will still trade Gavin Floyd. It still wouldn't surprise anyone if they deal Carlos Quentin, especially with Dayan Viciedo waiting (and maybe Cespedes, too).

But a complete rebuilding?

No, that's the team on the other side of town.
Posted on: December 21, 2011 9:05 pm
Edited on: December 21, 2011 10:00 pm
 

Danks to sign $65 million deal with White Sox

Take John Danks off the list of pitchers on the trade market.

And slow down the rush to say that the White Sox are completely rebuilding.

The Sox have worked out a five-year, $65 million contract extension with their left-handed starter, who they had spent the early part of the off-season offering to other teams in trades. The deal, sources tell CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, is pending a physical exam and is expected to be announced after Christmas.

The 26-year-old Danks would have been eligible for free agency after next season, which is one reason the White Sox were so willing to move him and also why they had trouble getting what they wanted for him on the trade market. Danks, a 15-game winner in 2010, slumped to an 8-12 record and 4.33 ERA in 2011, his worst year since he was a rookie in 2007.

While some people asked quickly whether the contract would simply make Danks easier to trade, it's highly unlikely that the White Sox would trade him now. At his age and talent level, he fits more (now that he's signed) as the type of player the Sox would be trying to acquire than one they would want to move.

More likely, the White Sox will now attempt to rebuild around him, perhaps speeding up general manager Kenny Williams' building process.

Williams had declared the Sox open for business as of the general managers' meetings in November, and when he traded closer Sergio Santos to the Blue Jays during the Winter Meetings, Williams openly used the "rebuilding" word when discussing his team.

Williams has been willing to trade Gavin Floyd, Carlos Quentin, Matt Thornton, Gordon Beckham and others. It's not yet clear how or whether signing Danks to an extension will affect those plans.


Category: MLB
Posted on: December 21, 2011 1:30 pm
Edited on: December 23, 2011 12:52 pm
 

Darvish is gone, but plenty of starters available

Among teams and agents with starting pitching for sale, there was some hope that the Yu Darvish decision would spur movement in a market that has been slow to develop.

That could still happen. But for now, there is still so much pitching available that it's hard to understand why any team would feel the need to panic.

The free-agent market still offers Hiroki Kuroda, Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt, among others.

On the trade market, Jair Jurrjens, Wade Davis, Jeff Niemann, Wandy Rodriguez, Matt Garza and more are all believed by other teams to be available, albeit at what buyers still consider to be inflated prices. Even with Mat Latos already having gone to the Reds, John Danks signing an extension with the White Sox and Gio Gonzalez gone to the Nationals, it's a long list (and others such as the Mets' Jon Niese are also out there, along with longer-shot names like James Shields).

Compare that to last July 31, when the Tigers were able to trade for Doug Fister and the Indians got Ubaldo Jimenez, but many teams trying to deal for pitching found no one of real value available.

Now, the question is the high cost in prospects, at least based on what the Padres and A's got for Latos and Gonzalez. Meanwhile, the Red Sox, Marlins, Blue Jays, Royals, Tigers, Mariners, Yankees, Rockies, Orioles and others are hoping to add at least one more starter this winter.

And the market is still so fluid that one person who talked to the Red Sox this week reported back that they are "in on everybody."

In part because so many pitchers are still available, many rival officials continue to think that the Padres did very well in what they got from the Reds for Latos, who is young (24), cheap (not even arbitration-eligible yet), controllable (can't be a free agent until 2016) and talented, but also is regarded as having questionable makeup.

The Reds would no doubt argue that the price for any top pitching remains high, and for now it does.

The question is where the market goes from here, particularly with so many pitchers available.


Posted on: December 7, 2011 3:20 am
 

White Sox trade Santos, and it's only the start

DALLAS -- The rebuilding process has officially begun on the South Side of Chicago, and by the time it ends the White Sox could look nothing like the disappointing team that finished 79-83 last year.

General manager Ken Williams took the first step Tuesday, trading closer Sergio Santos to the Blue Jays for pitching prospect Nestor Molina. Bigger steps should follow, with the White Sox signaling to other teams that pitchers John Danks and Gavin Floyd, outfielder Carlos Quentin and second baseman Gordon Beckham are among those available.

In fact, sources familiar with the Sox plans said, it is entirely possible that Danks, Floyd, Quentin and Beckham and others could all be elsewhere by opening day.

"It is the start of a rebuilding," Williams told Chicago writers. "And you guys know I have not used that word in 12 years."

Williams has been threatening to break up this team since the middle of last season, and only a few wins in the final week of July kept the Sox from shopping many players at the July 31 deadline.

Williams then said at last month's general managers meetings that he had trades in mind, and promised to use the word "rebuilding" by January if he could get what he wanted.

It turned out he used it in the first week of December.

The Santos move helps the Blue Jays, who have spent the first part of the winter looking for a closer. The White Sox got back a 22-year-old right-hander with sparkling minor-league numbers (27-7, 2.21, 277 strikeouts in 292 2/3 innings), but a pitcher who the Blue Jays and some other teams project as a middle reliever in the big leagues because of his slight build.


Posted on: December 7, 2011 3:20 am
 

White Sox trade Santos, and it's only the start

DALLAS -- The rebuilding process has officially begun on the South Side of Chicago, and by the time it ends the White Sox could look nothing like the disappointing team that finished 79-83 last year.

General manager Ken Williams took the first step Tuesday, trading closer Sergio Santos to the Blue Jays for pitching prospect Nestor Molina. Bigger steps should follow, with the White Sox signaling to other teams that pitchers John Danks and Gavin Floyd, outfielder Carlos Quentin and second baseman Gordon Beckham are among those available.

In fact, sources familiar with the Sox plans said, it is entirely possible that Danks, Floyd, Quentin and Beckham and others could all be elsewhere by opening day.

"It is the start of a rebuilding," Williams told Chicago writers. "And you guys know I have not used that word in 12 years."

Williams has been threatening to break up this team since the middle of last season, and only a few wins in the final week of July kept the Sox from shopping many players at the July 31 deadline.

Williams then said at last month's general managers meetings that he had trades in mind, and promised to use the word "rebuilding" by January if he could get what he wanted.

It turned out he used it in the first week of December.

The Santos move helps the Blue Jays, who have spent the first part of the winter looking for a closer. The White Sox got back a 22-year-old right-hander with sparkling minor-league numbers (27-7, 2.21, 277 strikeouts in 292 2/3 innings), but a pitcher who the Blue Jays and some other teams project as a middle reliever in the big leagues because of his slight build.


Posted on: November 15, 2011 9:10 pm
 

The White Sox could be . . . rebuilding?

MILWAUKEE -- The last time I mentioned rebuilding to Kenny Williams, he scoffed at the idea.

"You know me," the White Sox general manager said. "You know Ozzie. As competitive as we are, do you think we could accept rebuilding?"

That was a few years back.

Ozzie Guillen is gone. The White Sox went through a thoroughly frustrating and disappointing 2011 season.

Times have changed.

And now the White Sox are . . . rebuilding?

It sure sounds that way.

They're readier than ever to say good-bye to free agent starter Mark Buehrle, a mainstay in the Sox rotation since 2001. They're more willing than ever to trade starters John Danks and Gavin Floyd ("If you're going to trade one, you might as well trade both," one rival general manager said). They'd definitely deal Carlos Quentin. They could well be willing to deal Gordon Beckham.

If they do everything they want, Williams said Tuesday, they will definitely be rebuilding. If they do everything they want, Williams promises to even admit that they are rebuilding.

"I'd use [the word]," he said. "If we do this, I'd use it. Check with me in January."

The White Sox won't have a total makeover. It's not possible. No one is taking the Alex Rios contract, or the Adam Dunn contract.

And as for the players he can trade, Williams said he isn't just looking to fill specific needs.

"There are specific players it would take to get [Danks and/or Floyd]," he said. "Reasonable baseball deals. But impactful players. High-ceiling players."

High-ceiling young players, or exactly the kind of players you'd expect a rebuilding team to acquire.

Williams says this doesn't mean he'd be giving up on 2012. Fair enough, because talented young teams can win.

But with the White Sox very possibly rebuilding, and the Twins in a total state of flux, and the Indians and Royals still young, the Tigers may well be the biggest favorite of any team in any division next April.

"They'd be a heavy favorite," one National League general manager said Tuesday.

And the White Sox -- the Kenny Williams White Sox -- would be . . . rebuilding.
Posted on: August 24, 2011 5:30 pm
 

Could the White Sox still sell?

When the White Sox fell five games out of first place in late July, general manager Ken Williams threatened major changes.

Now the White Sox are 6 1/2 games out, with 25 fewer games left on the schedule and with the first-place Tigers looking stronger than they have all season.

Could Williams attempt a late-August sell-off?

According to sources, the Sox put John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Paul Konerko and Matt Thornton on trade waivers Wednesday. While that doesn't mean Williams intends to trade any or all of those players, it's interesting because those very names came up when Williams was talking of changes last month.

Thornton is probably the most likely one to be dealt, given the number of teams that need left-handed relief and the fact that the White Sox have depth in that area.

Danks and Floyd would have great value, but both will almost certainly be claimed, which means Williams would only be able to deal with one team this month. Neither is eligible for free agency, so he could trade either one with no restrictions (if he wants to) this winter.

Konerko is a 10-5 player, which means he would need to approve any trade. It seems much less likely that he would be dealt, but sources say that White Sox players believed he would be shopped in late July if they didn't get close to the division lead.

They did get close then, and Williams' only trade was to send Edwin Jackson and Mark Teahen to the Blue Jays.

They're not very close now, despite six remaining head-to-head games against the Tigers. The computers at coolstandings.com give the Sox a 10 percent chance at catching the Tigers (compared to 17 percent a month ago).

 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com