Frank Francisco is still the Mets closer, manager Terry Collins told reporters on Monday. Or at least he is for the moment.
"I'm not into experimenting," Collins said (via the New York Times). "You run into situations as we just saw in Florida. They pulled their closer out, they didn't like it, they reversed it back and, again, I think it's a juggling act."
Francisco didn't give up Giancarlo Stanton's grand slam, but he set it up. Francisco gave up three runs on two hits and a walk without recording an out. He was then ejected by home plate umpire Todd Tichenor after Collins took him out of the game and he had a few words for the ump.
Francisco, who was signed to a two-year, $12 million deal in the offseason, has now blown two saves in a row. He is 1-3 with an 8.56 ERA and eight saves this season. He had 17 saves for the Blue Jays last season. One reason Collins may be sticking with him is that he doesn't have too many other options. Set-up man Bobby Parnell blew six saves in his stint as closer last year and Jon Rauch, who has 59 career saves, has two blown saves already this season. He does have one save and is 3-1 with a 2.93 ERA. Mets relievers, as a whole, have a 5.01 ERA this season.
Collins was asked if Francisco was going to get one more chance or multiple chances.
"It's, 'Look, I trust you, I believed in you, let's see if this works, and we'll make decisions as we go,'" Collins said (New York Times).