Obviously, we predominantly cover Major League Baseball here in the Eye on Baseball blog, but above all, we're about baseball. And every once in awhile something non-MLB comes along. And this box score would qualify.
Central Arkansas beat Grambling State, 30-0, Tuesday night.
That alone is worth a mention, as that's an absolute bloodbath for a college game. But there's more:
- Central Arkansas scored at least one in every inning. In fact, the Bears scored at least two runs in every inning until the eighth, when they only managed one.
- Here is the scoring by inning for the home Bears: 7, 2, 2, 4, 6, 2, 6, 1
- Looking for a star? How about Central Arkansas C/1B Michael Marietta. His box score line: 7-6-7-11. That's amazing enough, but six of his seven hits were for extra bases. He clubbed three doubles and three homers, including a grand slam. He also walked once. And just for good measure, he stole a base, too.
- Grambling State pitchers walked 12, hit four batters and threw two wild pitches.
- Central Arkansas pitchers walked zero.
- Grambling State fielders committed six errors.
As for Marietta, per the Central Arkansas official site, he set Southland Conference records for total bases and RBI in one game -- and also tied the conference single-game records for runs scored and hits. He set a school record for RBI in a game while tying the single-game school records for home runs and doubles.
Courtesy of the Southland Conference TV Network's Twitter account, here are two video highlight packages of the game:
Hat-tip: You Can't Predict Ball on Twitter