Tragic news from Chicago: On Sunday, just before the Cubs' game against the Reds, 28-year-old Maureen Oleskiewicz -- teacher and devoted Cubs fan -- died in the Wrigley Field stands after choking on a hot dog, reports the Chicago Tribune.
Oleskiewicz, who was at the game with her younger brother, didn't display the usual signs of choking, the paper reported. Rather, she merely slumped over and was unable to be revived by medical personnel. She was pronounced dead on Tuesday at a nearby Chicago hospital.
"It's horrifying," said Oleskiewicz's mother. "We're beyond devastated. A new word has to be invented to describe the pain we're feeling."
There's no such thing as comfort in a terrible situation such as this, but the closest thing to consolation for the Oleskiewicz family is that Maureen was kept alive long enough to become an organ donor. Her mother says she was told Maureen's heart was donated to a 14-year-old girl who needed it desperately.
The Cubs released the following statement:
"The Chicago Cubs are saddened to hear news of the untimely death of Maureen Oleskiewicz. We express our deepest sympathy to her family and friends. We will continue to keep her family in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."
The Tribune conducted interviews with Maureen's grieving family:
Our thoughts and deepest sympathies go out to the Oleskiewicz family.
(HT: Big League Stew)