Another offseason day can be marked off your "Pitchers and Catchers Report Advent Calendar," so let's recap all that merits your attention from Sunday, Dec. 29 ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Royals: Have agreed to terms with infielder Jason Donald and outfielder Melky Mesa on minor-league contracts.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Masahiro Tanaka: MLB has reportedly asked the Rakuten Golden Eagles, Tanaka's former team, to promise in writing that they have no "side deal" with the coveted right-hander that would lead to their getting money from him in the future. ... Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks may send a contingent to meet with Tanaka in Japan. The D-backs are considered to be among the teams most interested in signing the 25-year-old ace. ... Rangers co-chairman Bob Simpson doesn't foresee his team making a serious run at Tanaka, writes Drew Davison of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram.
- Dodgers: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is hearing that the Dodgers may still wind up trading one of their surplus outfielders, Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford or Andre Ethier. As for Kemp, Cafardo notes that he may garner interest in spring training if/when he proves he's recovered from his shoulder and leg injuries.
- Rangers: GM Jon Daniels says the team will likely fill its hole at DH by starting Mitch Moreland against RHPs and Michael Choice or another right-handed bat against LHPs. (Drew Davison, Ft. Worth Star-Telegram)
- Yankees: Some GMs who talked to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe see free agent RHP Ubaldo Jimenez landing in the Bronx regardless of what happens with Masahiro Tanaka.