On the MLB spring training front, here's all that's worth knowing for Tuesday, March 18 ...
- Our man in the chopper writes that Indians ace Justin Masterson still hasn't heard back from the team after making some (very reasonable) proposals for a contract extension. Masterson, 28, is eligible for free agency next offseason. Elsewhere, Heyman writes that Grady Sizemore is making a strong bid to be the Red Sox's starting center fielding on opening day.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Astros: Jayson Stark tweets that the Astros are interested in acquiring a first baseman via trade.
- Cardinals: The team has cut ties with longtime team medical director Dr. George Paletta, reports Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Pirates: Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writes that the Pirates may be shopping OF Jose Tabata, reliever Vin Mazzaro and OF Travis Snider.
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Indians: Have signed RHP Adam Miller to a minor-league contract.
- Rangers: DH Mitch Moreland has a strained left oblique and may be forced to open the season on the DL ... T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes that SS Elvis Andrus has been shut down with a sore right elbow. He won't throw for at least the next three days and won't play before this weekend.