On the MLB spring training front, here's all that's worth knowing for Thursday, March 20 ...
- There's plenty from our own Mr. Heyman. First, Heyman has learned that extension talks have broken off between the Indians and right-hander Justin Masterson. It appears that Masterson is now bound for free agency after the upcoming season.
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Orioles: Have signed reliever Luis Ayala, possibly to a minor-league deal.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Blue Jays: Have claimed INF/OF Matt Tuiasosopo off waivers from the Diamondbacks.
- Marlins: MLB.com's Joe Frisaro writes that the Marlins don't seem willing to trade any of their young pitchers right now.
- Astros: X-rays on the injured hand of SS Carlos Correa were negative. Correa was forced from Wednesday's game after being struck on the left hand by a pitch.
- Braves: On Friday, RHP Brandon Beachy will undergo Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career.
- Giants: 2B Marco Scutaro received an injection in his ailing back and, according to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, is now 50-50 to be ready by opening day.
- Reds: CL Aroldis Chapman, who suffered facial fractures and a mild concussion when he was struck in the face by a line drive on Wednesday night, underwent successful surgery on Thursday to insert a titanium plate at the fracture site. He should be able to throw again in 10 to 14 days and return to game action in four to six weeks.
- Tigers: Our own Jon Heyman reports that SS Jose Iglesias is likely to miss the entire 2014 season because of leg fractures. There is a chance, however, that he could return late in the year.