On the MLB spring training front, here's all that's worth knowing for Thursday, March 24 ...
Here's the latest from our man in the chopper ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Mets: Have re-signed RHP Kyle Farnsworth to a minor-league deal not long after releasing him.
- Tigers: Have signed OF J.D. Martinez to a minor-league contract.
- Orioles, Tigers: The O's have sent SS Alex Gonzalez to the Tigers in exchange for INF Steve Lombardozzi.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Brewers: Have requested waivers on corner infielder Juan Francisco for the purpose of his unconditional release.
- Indians: OF Nyjer Morgan will reportedly make the Tribe's opening day roster. (Jordan Bastian via Twitter)
- Mariners: Have released RHP Scott Baker.
- Nationals: Have released C Chris Snyder.
- Rays: RHP Alex Colome has been suspended for 50 games after testing positive for the steroid Boldenone. Colome, 25, was ranked as a top-50 prospect by Baseball Prospectus prior to the 2010 season. In 2013, he worked 16 innings (2.25 ERA) for the Rays and had been in the mix for a rotation spot earlier in the spring. (Bill Chastain, MLB.com)
- Red Sox: GM Ben Cherington says extension talks with LHP Jon Lester are ongoing and that the matter should be resolved, one way or the other, by opening day. Lester is eligible for free agency after this season. (Sean McAdam, CSN New England)
- Blue Jays: SS Jose Reyes is day-to-day with a mild hamstring strain. Reyes, of course, has a history of hamstring injuries, so this one bears monitoring.
- Rangers: C Geovany Soto will be out for the next 10 to 12 weeks with a torn meniscus in his right knee ... RHP Yu Darvish (stiff neck) could be pushed back from his scheduled opening day start. (T.R. Sullivan, MLB.com)