Now that Opening Day is behind us, here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, March 31 (click here for today's scores) ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Athletics: Signed RHP Joe Blanton to a minor-league contract.
- Mets: Announced that they signed OF Bobby Abreu to a minor-league deal. He'll report to Triple-A Las Vegas.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Brewers: MLB.com's Adam McCalvy reports that the Brewers will go with Francisco Rodriguez and not Jim Henderson as their closer for the time being. Rodriguez earned the save in Monday's win over the Braves. As McCalvy writes, the team was concerned about Henderson's "diminished velocity and 'life'" in toward the end of spring training. K-Rod needs five more saves to tie him with Goose Gossage for 20th place on the all-time list ... Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the Brewers and SS Jean Segura have ceased talking contract extension for the time being.
- Rangers: Have released RHP Jose Contreras.
- Angels: Batting coach Don Baylor suffered a fractured femur while catching the ceremonial first pitch on Monday night. He'll undergo surgery on Tuesday.