Here's all that's worth knowing for Wednesday, April 23 (click here for today's scores) ...
- Our MLB insider reports that many within baseball think that free agent DH/1B Kendrys Morales will wait until after the June draft to sign a contract. At that point, the team that signs him would no longer be faced with losing a draft pick.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Athletics: On Tuesday, the A's declined a 10-year lease offer from the Oakland Coliseum Authority. The current lease expires at the end of the 2015 season. (Alex Espinoza, MLB.com)
- Yankees: RHP Michael Pineda is likely facing a suspension after being ejected from his Wednesday start for having pine tar on his neck.
- Nationals: LHP Gio Gonzalez was forced to leave his Wednesday night start in the sixth inning because of shoulder tightness. Afterward, manager Matt Williams said the move was precautionary. (Chase Hughes, Nats Insider)
- Padres: On Thursday, RHP Josh Johnson will undergo Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career.
- Phillies: LHP Cole Hamels (biceps tendinitis) made his 2014 debut on Wednesday night. Against the Dodgers, Hamels worked six innings, allowed two runs on six hits, struck out five, walked one and spotted 55 of his 86 pitches for strikes.
- Rangers: LHP Matt Harrison, who's missed more than a calendar year after undergoing back surgery, will return to the Texas rotation on Sunday against the Mariners. In Harrison's last full season in 2012, he logged a 3.29 ERA in 213 1/3 innings, made the All-Star team and finished eighth in the AL Cy Young balloting. (Evan Grant, Dallas Morning News)