Both Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg and Mets first baseman Lucas Duda say they caught food poisoning from hamburgers they got at Citi Field's Shake Shack during the series between the two clubs this past weekend.
"A couple of coaches took a bite and didn't like what they saw and threw the rest away," Sandberg told reporters Tuesday (via Associated Press). "I was in a rush, so I ended up putting it away. I had one piece of toast in two days, and I'm feeling fine about that. I don't want anything in my stomach."
Oh, man. Say it ain't so. I've had a Shake Shack burger on one occasion and it was outstanding. That doesn't mean an isolated incident can't take place at a ballpark location, of course. Shake Shack says it is looking into the matter, too.
"The first we heard of this situation was about an hour ago via Twitter," said Greg Waters, senior manager for marketing and communications with Shake Shack. "We're attempting to get in touch with Ryne Sandberg to learn more. At this point we have no further knowledge of the situation, and there have been no other related reports whatsoever. Food safety is of paramount importance to us, and we're connecting with our management team at the Citi Field Shake Shack now to discuss further and find out more."
Sandberg said the illness cost him six pounds in two days.