Here's all that's worth knowing for Friday, May 30 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our MLB insider writes that the Blue Jays are more likely to angle for a "rental" starting pitcher on the trade market like James Shields rather than one under team control for longer than 2014, like, say, Jeff Samardzija. It's not yet clear whether the Royals are willing to part with Shields leading up to the non-waiver trade deadline.
- Nationals: 3B/1B/OF Ryan Zimmerman (broken thumb) began his minor-league rehab assignment on Friday night. According to Mark Zuckerman, Zimmerman could return to the Nats by Tuesday ... LHP Gio Gonzalez (shoulder) will throw a simulated game on Sunday. Assuming all goes well, he'll begin a minor-league rehab assignment five days later. (Adam Kilgore via Twitter)
- Red Sox: C/1B Ryan Lavarnway has a broken hamate bone in his left wrist, which will require surgery. While he's not expected to miss the remainder of the season, his absence will likely be a lengthy one. (Peter Abraham via Twitter)
- White Sox: 1B Jose Abreu (ankle) is on target to return to the White Sox on Monday, when's first eligible to come off the DL. He's been sidelined since May 18. On the season, the 27-year-old Cuban rookie is batting .260/.312/.595 with 15 home runs in 44 games. (Doug Padilla, ESPN Chicago)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Blue Jays: Promising rookie Marcus Stroman will make his first big-league start on Saturday against the Royals. (Barry Davis via Twitter)