Stow lawsuit against Dodgers, McCourt now in jury's hands

By Matt Snyder | Baseball Writer

More MLB: Power Rankings | Expert Picks | Latest news & notes | Fantasy news

A lawsuit filed on behalf of Bryan Stow is now in the hands of the jury, as closing arguments for each side have been heard.

Stow -- a former paramedic and Giants fan who was severely beaten outside Dodger Stadium on opening day of 2011 -- is living with brain damage but did make an appearance at the trial Wednesday in his wheelchair. Per the Associated Press, "Stow sat in his wheelchair in court where jurors could see ghastly scars on his head where his skull had been temporarily removed during medical treatment."

Defense attorney for the Dodgers and former owner Frank McCourt, Dana Fox, however, reminded jurors that they had promised to not allow sympathy to influence their decision -- handing them the two men who have already been convicted of the life-altering beating.

Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood have already pleaded guilty to their crimes against Stow in criminal court. This is a civil case against the Dodgers and McCourt which alleges that there wasn't enough security outside the stadium to protect Stow against the attack.

Via the Associated Press:

"There were three parties responsible -- Sanchez, Norwood and, unfortunately, Stow himself. There were things Mr. Stow did that put these things in action," Fox said.

He added, "You don't get yourself this drunk and then say it's not your fault."

Fox noted that Stow's blood alcohol level was 0.18 percent and there was a witness account that said Stow was seen in the parking lot wearing his Giants jersey with his hands in the air and yelling.

"Dodger Stadium got to a place where it was a total mess," Stow's lawyer, Tom Girardi told jurors (AP). "There was a culture of violence. Beer sales were off the charts."

"The only thing Bryan Stow was doing was wearing a jersey that said `Giants.'"

Stow has no recollection of the events and had to be told why he was in the courtroom Wednesday. His family filed the lawsuit on his behalf and is seeking $37.5 million in damages and $75 million in pain and suffering.

More from Girardi (AP):

Girardi asserted that there should have been more uniformed police officers at the stadium. If security officers had been on the job, they would have ousted the rowdy Sanchez during the game and there would have been no assault, he said.

Fox's response (AP):

Defense attorney Dana Fox countered that there was more security than at any other Dodgers opening day in history, and no one could have prevented the assault on Stow as he walked to a spot to catch a cab.

The 45-year-old Stow lives with his parents and requires a medical attendant. A Doctor testified earlier in the trial that he has hit a plateau in his recovery (latimes.com) and shouldn't expect to improve.

CBSSports Facebook Google Plus
COMMENTS
Conversation powered by Livefyre

mlb Video

December 19, 2014
Justin Upton traded to Padres (2:18)
December 17, 2014
Boomer & Carton: Chase Headley will start at 3B
(4:14)
December 11, 2014
Jim Rome: Dodgers' overhaul
(2:13)
December 10, 2014
John Smoltz on the Doug Gottlieb Show
(7:06)

Latest

Most Popular

CBSSports.com Shop