Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Aug. 4 (click here for today's scores) …
- Angels: RHP Garrett Richards suffered a left knee patellar injury on Wednesday night. Early indications are that it's a serious injury.
- Cardinals: C Yadier Molina (thumb surgery) was able to take some swings on Wednesday (via R.B. Fallstrom on Twitter). Molina still needs to progress to a likely minor-league rehab assignment, but barring setback he could be activated before the middle of September.
- Yankees: RHP Masahiro Tanaka (elbow) threw 35 pitches from a bullpen mound on Wednesday. Included in his throwing session were breaking balls and splitters ... OF Carlos Beltran is still having soreness in his right elbow and will miss Thursday's game. How well he responds to a cortisone shot will determine whether he's able to play Friday. (Bryan Hoch, MLB.com)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Curt Schilling: Announced that he's been battling mouth cancer, which he attributes to his using tobacco in the past. Schilling's cancer is currently in remission.
- Cubs: SS Starlin Castro has left the team to deal with what manager Rick Renteria termed a "family tragedy." As CSN Chicago's Patrick Mooney writes, Castro is expected to go on the bereavement list.
- Cubs, Giants: After an upheld protest by the Giants, they'll resume their weather-shortened game with the Cubs on Thursday afternooon.